Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th May 2019 at 9:35 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 19th May 2019 at 10:12 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Cleaning a wonderful, but possibly corruption-ridden old lot
I've come into possession of a wonderful, creative lot that was made and packaged back in the day in all the wrong ways. Looking it at it in Clean Installer, it contains sims, hacks from the creator's game that indicate normal play, and... ghosts! That aren't even related to the lot.

So, I want to clean and restore this to usable quality. The lot is full of CC and very well designed, so worth saving in my view. The included sims may also be worth saving.

I thought I'd start by just not installing things that look like hacks, sims, or ghosts in a test environment. Is that a good first step? After that, do you have tips, advice, guidelines?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th May 2019 at 11:16 AM
I would install in a throw away sims 2 folder then clean it with Chris Hatch's add on to Lot Compressor and also use his other lot cleaner globe thingame that I have forgotten the name of.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th May 2019 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I would install in a throw away sims 2 folder then clean it with Chris Hatch's add on to Lot Compressor and also use his other lot cleaner globe thingame that I have forgotten the name of.

I did use a test hood and solved a blue flashing issue. But, I couldn't get Lot Compressor to work. It gave me errors, so I followed your tutorial how to do it manually. That seemed fine. Thanks for that. I think it's clean now, but what's the globe thing do?
Scholar
#4 Old 19th May 2019 at 5:11 PM
CJH_LotCleaner.zip

Intended as a tool for preparing lots for upload or cleaning up downloaded lots, I originally made this tool for preparing the 'Back Alley' neighbourhood and 'Perky Peaks' for upload.

This item will delete all controllers, off world items and any NPC schedules. It deletes everything on initialization so just select then delete it, the lot does not need to go into live mode for it to work. This ensures the lot runs a fresh set of controllers that are suited to the end user's EPs next time the lot loads.

Used as a last resort, this is also capable of fixing most faults that can occur at a liveable lot, but save, exit and re-enter the lot before allowing the lot to run after use though as faults will occur while no controllers, TV stations, careers etc. exist.

Find in general / miscellaneous category of the catalogue.

I recommend removing from your download folder when not needed to prevent accidental use.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th May 2019 at 2:28 AM
@Chris Hatch What would happen if placed on a lot that sims currently live at? I have it in my download folder and didn't think to remove it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th May 2019 at 4:57 AM
I have a custom folder for all my hacked/modded objects. I put the Lot Cleaner at the very end of the very last page of this collection. This helps to ensure that I don't click on it by accident. I prefer to leave it in my game because otherwise I would forget to put it in when needed or take it out when not needed.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2019 at 7:21 AM
What would happen if placed on a lot that sims currently live at? I have it in my download folder and didn't think to remove it.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Used as a last resort, this is also capable of fixing most faults that can occur at a liveable lot, but save, exit and re-enter the lot before allowing the lot to run after use though as faults will occur while no controllers, TV stations, careers etc. exist.

7 chars.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th May 2019 at 9:50 AM
Well I placed it down, saved (At least it saved) went to hood view and tried to load it and crash again. This lot has crashed most times on saving rather than loading, but either the lot or one of the sims is broke hopelessly. Also same old exception error so I guess it can't fix it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sims2Exception 2019.05.20 18.45.54.rar (3.6 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#9 Old 20th May 2019 at 4:47 PM
@Chris Hatch What would happen if placed on a lot that sims currently live at? I have it in my download folder and didn't think to remove it.

If any sims are at work or school they'll be reset as their work/school object is deleted, they could then be penalized for missing work/school next time the lot runs. If any sims are dancing at a stereo, watching TV or interacting with another sim their interaction will drop off, perhaps abruptly as the radio/TV station or social interaction is deleted.