Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

18th Century British Red Coat Soldier

by Nutter-Butter-1 Posted 22nd Nov 2019 at 6:31 PM

5 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2019 at 7:42 PM
Huzzah!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2019 at 9:07 PM
The recoloring is so detailed
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#4 Old 24th Nov 2019 at 6:48 PM
Thank you
Instructor
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2020 at 8:44 PM
Interesting. A few accuracy comments:
a) Remember that in the 18th Century, clothing was a lot less "baggy" than we've been led to believe by the movie industry. Cloth was expensive, so clothes fit better. Of course, on a campaign stuff did get sloppy and misshapen. The design of the coats is really good, however on the one man, you've got two different facings, blue and white. The white part you're showing would've been red; the "inside" blue part that's folded back at the top could be folded back all the way down, or left closed, but there shouldn't be an extra color on the outside. The "wings" at the shoulders existed for a small handful of regiments in the 18th C., and became more widely prevalent only later. The man you're showing as an officer would've had proper epaulettes instead of the wings.
b) These guys look like they've got a lot of excess stuff wrapped around their legs, for some reason. Unless those are boots - only officers wore boots, generally speaking. Common soldiers did wear gaiters to protect their shoes & socks from the mud, but they should be more form-fitting around the ankle area.
c) The tricorn hat on the bearded man with the green sash is nicely done, better than most I've seen in a digital form, but the one on the guy with the buff sash is an example of a hat that never existed until the 20th century, and only in costume/party supply shops. It's the sort of thing made from two pieces of black paper, stapled together, usually with an ugly skull-and-crossbones on the front, meant for your 7-year-old's pirate-themed birthday party (and which no pirate ever wore, BTW). If you were going for a Napoleon-style "sideways bicorn" (actually a mutated tricorn), then it has to be WAY bigger, and in reality, those were only worn by Naval officers. For soldiers, the tricorn is the way to go, and you have a nice one, so ditch the other, stupid-looking hat and give him one like his buddy.
d) The man in gray's bicorn (two corners, worn fore-and-aft) hat didn't come into vogue until the Napoleonic era, by which time these fancy-style uniform coats had given way to the shorter jackets, without those nice long cuffs. Also, the sashes you have around their waists were strictly officer material, always crimson in color, and usually worn over the shoulder rather than around the middle. In the Napoleonic era, sergeants started wearing sashes as well, only they were red, with a center stripe of their uniform's facing color.
e) Too bad you couldn't get a period musket. The lever-action repeater rifle wasn't around for another 100 years.

The Osprey Military series is a great resource on period uniforms. I'd trust them over any info you might get from Assassin's Creed (although there's a good deal of authenticity there, I'd have to say.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
Interesting. A few accuracy comments:
a) Remember that in the 18th Century, clothing was a lot less "baggy" than we've been led to believe by the movie industry. Cloth was expensive, so clothes fit better. Of course, on a campaign stuff did get sloppy and misshapen. The design of the coats is really good, however on the one man, you've got two different facings, blue and white. The white part you're showing would've been red; the "inside" blue part that's folded back at the top could be folded back all the way down, or left closed, but there shouldn't be an extra color on the outside. The "wings" at the shoulders existed for a small handful of regiments in the 18th C., and became more widely prevalent only later. The man you're showing as an officer would've had proper epaulettes instead of the wings.
b) These guys look like they've got a lot of excess stuff wrapped around their legs, for some reason. Unless those are boots - only officers wore boots, generally speaking. Common soldiers did wear gaiters to protect their shoes & socks from the mud, but they should be more form-fitting around the ankle area.
c) The tricorn hat on the bearded man with the green sash is nicely done, better than most I've seen in a digital form, but the one on the guy with the buff sash is an example of a hat that never existed until the 20th century, and only in costume/party supply shops. It's the sort of thing made from two pieces of black paper, stapled together, usually with an ugly skull-and-crossbones on the front, meant for your 7-year-old's pirate-themed birthday party (and which no pirate ever wore, BTW). If you were going for a Napoleon-style "sideways bicorn" (actually a mutated tricorn), then it has to be WAY bigger, and in reality, those were only worn by Naval officers. For soldiers, the tricorn is the way to go, and you have a nice one, so ditch the other, stupid-looking hat and give him one like his buddy.
d) The man in gray's bicorn (two corners, worn fore-and-aft) hat didn't come into vogue until the Napoleonic era, by which time these fancy-style uniform coats had given way to the shorter jackets, without those nice long cuffs. Also, the sashes you have around their waists were strictly officer material, always crimson in color, and usually worn over the shoulder rather than around the middle. In the Napoleonic era, sergeants started wearing sashes as well, only they were red, with a center stripe of their uniform's facing color.
e) Too bad you couldn't get a period musket. The lever-action repeater rifle wasn't around for another 100 years.

The Osprey Military series is a great resource on period uniforms. I'd trust them over any info you might get from Assassin's Creed (although there's a good deal of authenticity there, I'd have to say.)

I know most of that.
These are not historically accurate because they are simply recolours of the pirate costume made by EA as part of the Spooky Expansion Pack. The textures I have used are from Assassin's creed III and Assassin's Creed Black Flag. The only way to create 100% accurate clothing is to create a brand new mesh based on real uniforms with the correct software, I'm simply not that advanced when it comes to graphic design. There are now other creators such as revolution sims who have gone that extra bit further to create their own mesh based on real historical clothes.

A) These are simply recolours of pre existing mesh and the hats, wigs, clothes and boots are pre existing CC from other creators such as SSTS, Bruxel, Revolution sims and historical sims life. Therefore there is nothing I can or could have done to change the shape of the pre existing mesh. I simply recoloured the uniform using sims 4 studio and GIMP.

B) The boots are a creation by SSTS. There are no pre existing epaulettes in any CC or mesh that I know of right now. The uniform mesh is not my own it is EA's and the rest of the CC is not my own they belong to other people. I've had to mix and match where I can based on the availability of CC at the time.

C) The hat is from Bruxel@simsresource which I have used as there are not a lot of authentic historical hats based in that era for sims 4.

D) That hat is also by Bruxel as part of that creators Royal Navy uniform. Sashes all part of original EA pirate costume mesh.

E) There are no muskets that I know of in any CC files anywhere so the hunting rifle was a substitute until someone is able to create a musket in future.

The only textures I have available are Assassin's Creed ones.
Sims 4 is based in modern times with a lot of fantasy thrown in. Therefore the game itself is difficult to make historically accurate as sims such as George Washington and George III still carry I-phones and can get abducted by aliens.