MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TS4 Skin Converter V2.3, enable CC skintones in CAS

by CmarNYC Posted 9th Dec 2020 at 11:12 PM - Updated 20th Dec 2020 at 4:15 PM by CmarNYC
143 Comments / replies (Who?) - 21 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
With the December 2020 patch, CC skintones stopped appearing in the CAS skintone picker. This tool will update them and optionally will add tanned and burned textures to older skintones.

This tool is ONLY for skin colors that are applied in the skintone panel in CAS, NOT 'skintones' that are applied in skin details. It is also NOT for texture-only default replacements. If you see a message saying there are no tones found in the package, you're probably trying to convert one of those.

When running this tool, do NOT save the converted package over the original; that may corrupt the package and you could end up with an unusable file! Give it a new name or save it in a different location. Then remove the old package from your Mods folder and replace it with the converted one.

Pick which skintone panel you want the CC skins to appear in and this tool will convert them. It sets up the light/dark slider with standard values.

It makes fairly accurate textures for natural skin colors and makes its best guess at tan and burn colors for fantasy skins. It uses the swatch color to judge how light/dark the skin is and decide which color(s) are dominant for fantasy skins, so an accurate swatch is important.

Straight conversion is fast, but if you're adding tan and burn textures and there are more than a few skintones in the package it'll take a seriously long time to compress the files and save after converting. Your system may report the process as not responding but it should complete eventually.

This is really quick and dirty so keep copies of your original skintone packages and please report errors.

Unzip and run TS4SkinConverter.exe.

Windows only, sorry. Requires 64-bit and .NET 4.

FOR MAC USERS:

How to convert skintones manually using Sims4Studio: https://cidira.tumblr.com/post/6379...olors-for-patch

Additional Credits:
s4pi library for package and image handling.
Download: https://github.com/s4ptacle/Sims4Tools/releases/
Source: https://github.com/s4ptacle/Sims4Tools/tree/develop

Updates:

V2.3, 12/10/2020
- Switched to a better color conversion for burned skin textures, which makes the skin look redder (or greener or bluer) when burned.

V2.2, 12/10/2020
- Added the option to enable for humans.
- Changed default skintone category to Miscellaneous.

V2.1, 12/10/2020
- Added options to enable skintones for all occults. Everything else is the same so you only need this if you need skins enabled for Aliens, Vampires, or Spellcasters.
Tags: #TS4, #skin, #skintone, #convert

Operating System: Windows
Utility Type: CC Editors
Plugin Type: Not Applicable

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 4
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
TS4SkinConverter_2_3_0_0.zip | Extract folder and run TS4SkinConverter.exe

Size: 1.16 MB · Downloads: 22,132 · 11th Dec 2020
1.16 MB 22,132 11th Dec 2020
TS4SkinConverterV2.3Source.zip | Source code, not needed to use the tool

Size: 641.7 KB · Downloads: 4,257 · 11th Dec 2020
641.7 KB 4,257 11th Dec 2020
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:
1. Download: Click the File tab to see the download link. Click the link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
2. Extract: Use WinRAR (Windows) to extract the file(s) from the .rar or .zip file(s).
3. Cut and paste the file(s) into your Mods folder
  • Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
  • Windows Vista/7/8/8.1: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
Need more information?
  • Anyone can use both .rar and .zip files easily! On Windows, use WinRAR.
  • If you don't have a Mods folder, just make one.
 
143 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 105 Feedback Posts, 35 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 6
Scholar
#51 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 1:04 AM
I tried but it says the package contains no skintones in it. Whaat?

Visit my sims 4 blog to see updates on my favorite sims: https://mysimcreationsblog.wordpress.com/ Visit my gallery for my latest houses: Spidergirl79 I love TS4 but I am not afraid to be critical of the way the game has been released/developed ect.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#52 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 1:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergirl79
I tried but it says the package contains no skintones in it. Whaat?


If this is a skin you apply in Skin Details or anywhere but the CAS skin color panel, it has no skintones to convert. If not, please upload the package.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#53 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 1:53 AM
I am also getting the "package contains no skintones in it" message. I've tried three different default skins I have used in the past (so they did use to appear in the CAS skintones and overrode the EA skintones. They were not in skin details. I am not sure what I might be doing wrong!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#54 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 2:05 AM
You are a SAVIOR! :D
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 2:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
You mean that the burned texture isn't as red? Yes, I mistakenly used an older version of the color transformation. I'll fix it.
Now works just fine! Skin tones converted from initial old package look better than converted from v.1.2. Thanks a lot for your excellent work!
Instructor
#56 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 3:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Yes, it works with all old versions. Just manually changing the version number doesn't work for the pre-tanning skins but this tool converts the old single texture to the normal/tan/burn format. At this point I don't know which is better or if it makes no difference - V1.2 did some modification of overlays to reduce splotchiness in the darker tones especially when burned but EA says they've improved their blending or rendering or whatever so those changes may or may not be an improvement now. I left them out of this version, at least until there's time for experimenting.


Oh, hey, that explains why some people were running into trouble with the manual fix. I had a couple of folks in the thread before it went poof who had version 00000007 and had no luck at all updating them, but I hadn't even been linked any packages before I ended up just sending people here, let alone investigated, and I wasn't playing when IL was released so I largely missed the aftermath of that change.

What is the oldest version number that can be updated just by changing the version number and adding the data from this patch?

(You've been busy today!)
Field Researcher
#57 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 3:59 AM
Not sure if this can be asked here.
Is your mod, "Sims 4 Morphing Anatomy Mod (beta) " still works on latest patch?
If not, hope you have time to update it.
Scholar
#58 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 6:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
If this is a skin you apply in Skin Details or anywhere but the CAS skin color panel, it has no skintones to convert. If not, please upload the package.


I figured out what I was doing wrong... disregard my previous message! Thank you!

Visit my sims 4 blog to see updates on my favorite sims: https://mysimcreationsblog.wordpress.com/ Visit my gallery for my latest houses: Spidergirl79 I love TS4 but I am not afraid to be critical of the way the game has been released/developed ect.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#59 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysweettart
I am also getting the "package contains no skintones in it" message. I've tried three different default skins I have used in the past (so they did use to appear in the CAS skintones and overrode the EA skintones. They were not in skin details. I am not sure what I might be doing wrong!


From the reports I've seen, default skins still work. They're probably texture-only replacements so there's no skintone resource to update. Again, please upload the package if you want me to take a look.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#60 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 11:25 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 11th Dec 2020 at 4:42 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidira
Oh, hey, that explains why some people were running into trouble with the manual fix. I had a couple of folks in the thread before it went poof who had version 00000007 and had no luck at all updating them, but I hadn't even been linked any packages before I ended up just sending people here, let alone investigated, and I wasn't playing when IL was released so I largely missed the aftermath of that change.

What is the oldest version number that can be updated just by changing the version number and adding the data from this patch?

(You've been busy today!)


Lol, yes I was.

I don't remember the version number, but will look it up. Any pre-IL tan/burn patch skin has a single texture link and blending settings. Post-IL skins have an array of three texture links and settings. Since S4S apparently doesn't read and write the TONE in a way that converts that data automatically when you change the version, you'd have to manually copy the texture instance and settings to the array.

In a few hours I'll try the process in S4S and post exact instructions here if it works. It's the only way Mac users can fix their skins. If you post it on S4S maybe the mods would actually leave it up if it doesn't mention my tool.

Edit: The only previous version that converted successfully is 0000000A, but I figured out what was going wrong and have posted instructions on the description here. Should work with all old versions.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#61 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 1:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Thanks! I think the problem with the NotEgain is that it's a very old skintone made before there were any occults and there was no tag necessary to enable for humans. I've added the option to add the tag to enable for humans in V2.2.

The PYXIS skin shows up fine for me for all types. Are you sure you put in the right package?


Ah, that makes sense, I think I have had it a while.

I believe so? As in put in the folder I uploaded or in the converter?
I downloaded the newest version of the skin and used the version I already had and neither show up in game.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#62 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 3:15 PM
thank you very much, now it works for my vampires
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#63 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 3:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibbs
Ah, that makes sense, I think I have had it a while.

I believe so? As in put in the folder I uploaded or in the converter?
I downloaded the newest version of the skin and used the version I already had and neither show up in game.


I put the PYXIS_StuckOnYou_Skintones_SUPERNATURAL ROM ED.package you uploaded in my Mods folder and it works fine.
Screenshots

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#64 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 4:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csg5vbe3argf
Not sure if this can be asked here.
Is your mod, "Sims 4 Morphing Anatomy Mod (beta) " still works on latest patch?
If not, hope you have time to update it.


No problem. It still works in my game but I haven't tried the slider yet and I hear some sliders are broken. I'll take a look when I can - as you can imagine there's a ton of stuff to fix or update after this patch.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#65 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 5:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Good question. IMO you should remove the skins with the manager. I assume it doesn't extract the original package for you so yes, you'll probably have to re download if you don't have the originals. I wouldn't risk running this tool on a combined package.

BTW I love your username!


Thank you so much! It's been my Origin username since the dawn of time so i'm always delighted to find it available on another forum. And thank you so much for confirming my intuition! Maybe i can learn how to do this after all, heh.
Test Subject
#66 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 6:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergirl79
I figured out what I was doing wrong... disregard my previous message! Thank you!


.... would you be willing to share what you were doing wrong? lol i'm having the same issue and the skins are listed by the creator as NOT being details, and they previously had shown up as skintones not details in CAS ...
Instructor
#67 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 7:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Lol, yes I was.

I don't remember the version number, but will look it up. Any pre-IL tan/burn patch skin has a single texture link and blending settings. Post-IL skins have an array of three texture links and settings. Since S4S apparently doesn't read and write the TONE in a way that converts that data automatically when you change the version, you'd have to manually copy the texture instance and settings to the array.

In a few hours I'll try the process in S4S and post exact instructions here if it works. It's the only way Mac users can fix their skins. If you post it on S4S maybe the mods would actually leave it up if it doesn't mention my tool.

Edit: The only previous version that converted successfully is 0000000A, but I figured out what was going wrong and have posted instructions on the description here. Should work with all old versions.


Ahhhh, that makes sense. The one file I'd played with myself that had an older version number (00000008) also had an updated Tan Flags field. (It was that alien default, which has no tan textures but it doesn't look like the EA versions tan either.) Many thanks, I'll see about writing something up.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#68 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 8:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaHandbasket
.... would you be willing to share what you were doing wrong? lol i'm having the same issue and the skins are listed by the creator as NOT being details, and they previously had shown up as skintones not details in CAS ...


If it's a very old skin you may have to enable it for humans and whatever occults. If you want to upload the package I'll be happy to take a look.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#69 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 8:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidira
Ahhhh, that makes sense. The one file I'd played with myself that had an older version number (00000008) also had an updated Tan Flags field. (It was that alien default, which has no tan textures but it doesn't look like the EA versions tan either.) Many thanks, I'll see about writing something up.


I could easily be wrong about the version that introduced tan/burn, or possibly S4S handles the 'Tan Flags' better with more recent versions.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#70 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 10:10 PM
I find this a good idea yet I am not sure if I should use it an not sure which item to use. Also does this make other skins tone that I once could use come back.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
12th Dec 2020 at 12:38 AM
Default Contains no skintones package
This message has been deleted by ladysweettart.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#71 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 12:49 AM
Nevermind, I figured out the problem for me was that for a default skintone, I needed to use your other tool (TS4 Defaults Fixer). Should be good now, and THANK YOU for all you do for us CC simmers!
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#72 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysweettart
Here is one of the files I am trying to run that is telling me "contains no skintones". It's been broken since the October patch. It was my favorite default skin so I would really appreciate you taking a look!


This is a default skin, which was indeed broken by the October patch. You can fix it with another of my tools: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=643164

LOL, we cross-posted. Glad you figured it out.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#73 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 1:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
I put the PYXIS_StuckOnYou_Skintones_SUPERNATURAL ROM ED.package you uploaded in my Mods folder and it works fine.


I just tried it on it's own and it didn't load so I have no idea what's going on there
Test Subject
#74 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 4:11 AM
How do I install this? Or convert skintones? I have an entire folder of CC Skins D: A video would be helpful!
Page 3 of 6