MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HQ Texture Converter - version 2.5 2/21/2021

by CmarNYC Posted 23rd Nov 2018 at 8:35 PM - Updated 21st Feb 2021 at 2:35 PM by CmarNYC : New version upload
221 Comments / replies (Who?) - 23 Feedback Posts
This is a featured upload! It showcases the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
Converting a pile of CC to be compatible with the HQ Mod can be quite a chore. This tool does it for you.

What it does:

You can select either one package or input and output folders. If you select one package, it will be converted and you'll be prompted to save it with a new name. If you select folders, all packages in the input folder will be converted and saved in the output folder with new names. A status line at the bottom of the window will let you know what it's doing.



Conversion:
  • RLE2 textures (diffuse, shadow, skin color, and skin definition) are resized to 2048x4096
  • LRLE textures (diffuse and skin color) are resized to 2048x4096
  • RLE2 textures disguised as LRLE are converted and resized to true LRLE 2048x4096
  • RLES textures (specular) are resized to 1024x2048
  • DDS CAS skin color files are resized to 2048x4096

However, these are just the defaults and you can select the output dimensions for yourself. Will also convert from HQ dimensions to standard if needed.

Pet textures are automatically resized correctly.

Requires Windows and .NET 4.7. If you're on Windows 10 you probably already have it; if you're using Windows 7 or 8.1 you can install it if necessary. Requires 64-bit. (If anyone needs a 32-bit version I'll provide it, but it's likely you'll get memory errors when processing large packages.)

How to use:

Use the top button to select a package to process one at a time. Select input and output folders to process every package in the folder. As of version 2.3 it will also optionally convert subfolders in the input folder, creating corresponding subfolders in the output folder if necessary.

Texture output options:
  • Choice of which conversion to do and the target texture dimensions should be self-explanatory.
  • Keep original size - when converting to HQ, you can choose to keep any textures that are larger than needed as is.
  • Sharpen rle2 and lrle textures - using this option will sharpen the main (diffuse) textures of clothing, hair, accessories, skins, etc. You can choose the sharpening strength. Sharpening will slow down processing significantly. Strength of sharpening makes no difference in speed. Sharpening may or may not be useful when working with LRLE textures, you'll have to experiment.
  • Don't sharpen grayscale - starting in version 2.2 the tool uses the CASP in CC packages to identify the shadow textures, so this option should normally be left unchecked. It may be useful if converting packages that contain clothing/hair/accessory textures but no CASPs as when converting EA game packages. It may not. If checked, the tool will attempt to identify shadow textures and not sharpen them. The benefit is that sharpening may cause banding in some shadows which might be visible. The drawback is that any black and white or gray clothing and skin details may not be sharpened.
  • Use existing mipmaps - starting in version 2.2, if this option is checked the tool will keep existing mipmaps if possible. Leaving this option checked will be slightly faster and retain the quality of original textures in the mipmaps. In cases where sharpening has made a big improvement in a texture you may want to try unchecking it and generating new mipmaps.

With sharpening enabled, conversion will be slow. A package of 1000 rle2 and/or lrle textures could take around 2 hours or more. Without sharpening it's significantly faster. The program will prevent your computer from sleeping during conversion, but your monitor will still time out and sleep and you may see the monitor blacking out for a couple of seconds at a time even while you're using it.

Sharpening comparison:



Notes/Warnings:

The tool should only be run on packages that include only CAS parts (clothing, hair, accessories, makeup, skins, etc.). Running it on packages containing other CC such as objects may result in textures of the wrong size and/or wrong format and could cause your game to crash or not start.

This should go without saying, but you should keep your original packages in case something goes wrong.

Please report problems, questions, and reasonable requests in the comments.

Windows only, sorry. If anyone wants to convert it for Mac, you have my permission.

Version 2.5:
Update for another new version of CASP.
Added support for LRLE textures. This needs more testing; please report problems.

Version 2.4:

Update for the new version of the CASP.
I'm doing only a 64-bit version this time. If anyone needs a 32-bit version I'll provide it, but I doubt there's much if any need.

Version 2.3:

Fixes: Corrects an error affecting memory that was causing random crashes with no error message or an access violation.

New features:
  • During batch conversion, optionally convert subfolders of packages under the input folder. Subfolders with the same names will be created in the output folder if they don't already exist.
  • If any packages fail to convert during batch conversion due to unreadable textures or whatever, the tool will continue to run and display a list of packages that could not be converted when it's finished.

Many thanks to claudiasharon for working with me about the crashing problem.

Version 2.2:

Fixes: Fixes shadow lines again appearing when converting CC on some systems.

New features: Optionally use existing mipmaps.

Many thanks to LunaLechuza for helpful suggestions and testing.

Version 2.0:

Fixes: Corrected the lines on shadow textures and the dark lines around the edges of some diffuse textures.

New features: 64-bit version, sharpening, keeping larger-than-needed textures is now optional.

Additional Credits:

With thanks to Iconic for requesting this tool!

The HQ Mod is here: http://alf-si.tumblr.com/HQ_ts4_English

Image and package handling done with the s4pi library: https://github.com/s4ptacle/Sims4Tools/tree/develop

Folder selection uses Ookii.Dialogs: http://www.ookii.org/software/dialogs/
Tags: #TS4, #HQ, #Mod, #texture, #converter, #resize

Operating System: Windows
Utility Type: CC Editors
Plugin Type: Not Applicable

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 4
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
TS4HQConverterSourceV2.5.0.0.zip | Source files, not needed to use the tool

Size: 146.0 KB · Downloads: 3,032 · 21st Feb 2021
146.0 KB 3,032 21st Feb 2021
TS4HQConverter_2_5_0_0.zip | Extract folder and run TS4HQConverter.exe

Size: 356.4 KB · Downloads: 9,707 · 21st Feb 2021
356.4 KB 9,707 21st Feb 2021
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:
1. Download: Click the File tab to see the download link. Click the link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
2. Extract: Use WinRAR (Windows) to extract the file(s) from the .rar or .zip file(s).
3. Cut and paste the file(s) into your Mods folder
  • Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
  • Windows Vista/7/8/8.1: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
Need more information?
  • Anyone can use both .rar and .zip files easily! On Windows, use WinRAR.
  • If you don't have a Mods folder, just make one.
 
221 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 181 Feedback Posts, 21 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 4 of 9
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#76 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 7:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
Well the weird part is, when I have Sims 4 open and the program running, it runs just fine. Last night and when I restarted it earlier today it wasn't open. Now that I have it open again, it's still going.

I have the files I want hq'ed separate from my mods folder so they wouldn't interfere. It's weird though. Why would it work when more memory is being used compared to less memory when the program is closed. I dunno.


Beats me too! The only thing I can think of is that it runs more slowly, but why that would help I have no idea.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
DELETED POST
8th Dec 2018 at 7:48 PM
This message has been deleted by claudiasharon.
Top Secret Researcher
#77 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 3:48 AM
I am now getting the issue with the black lines in CAS around a cc dress. I don't know how to fix it, has anyone figured it out yet?

It's this dress that I noticed so far:https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...iva/id/1331344/
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#78 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 5:38 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 9th Dec 2018 at 5:05 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
I am now getting the issue with the black lines in CAS around a cc dress. I don't know how to fix it, has anyone figured it out yet?

It's this dress that I noticed so far:https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...iva/id/1331344/


It started happening for me a couple of days ago, and LunaLechuza as well. With packages that converted successfully before but if converted again suddenly get blocky black lines in-game that disappear when you zoom in very close and get worse when you zoom out. It's the weirdest thing. Are you seeing it in CAS or in game? Out of curiosity, is your graphics card nVidea? I'm going to upload a new version that fixes the problem I've been seeing after a little more testing, but if you want to try it now here it is.

*New version uploaded, link removed*

(The dress you linked converted perfectly for me with this version.)

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#79 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 6:17 AM Last edited by claudiasharon : 9th Dec 2018 at 6:37 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
It started happening for me a couple of days ago, and LunaLechuza as well. With packages that converted successfully before but if converted again suddenly get blocky black lines in-game that disappear when you zoom in very close and get worse when you zoom out. It's the weirdest thing. Are you seeing it in CAS or in game? Out of curiosity, is your graphics card nVidea? I'm going to upload a new version that fixes the problem I've been seeing after a little more testing, but if you want to try it now here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B...k-ohDw7DzruAJPX

(The dress you linked converted perfectly for me with this version.)


I saw it in CAS and in game. Thank you, hopefully this will help.

Edit: I am still having the issue. But it was converted to HQ with 2.0 and then I used the same file to convert it with the new version...maybe that's the issue.

Edit2: Ok I did it with a fresh download of the package and it worked just fine.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#80 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 6:39 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 9th Dec 2018 at 7:06 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
I saw it in CAS and in game. Thank you, hopefully this will help.

Edit: I am still having the issue. But it was converted to HQ with 2.0 and then I used the same file to convert it with the new version...maybe that's the issue.


You should convert an unchanged copy of the package, if you re-convert a converted package that's not going to fix anything. But lines appearing in CAS could be a separate issue and I didn't get that. If you download a fresh package, convert it, and still get the lines, could you upload the converted package for me? You could pm me a link if you prefer.

EDIT: I took a closer look and those spots are in the texture itself, under patches where the alpha isn't fully transparent. They show up in my CAS too, but are not as visible as in yours. Not sure why they're so much more obvious in your game, possibly a different graphics card or whatever. I see them with the original package in a non-HQ game too but even more faintly.

Screenshots

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#81 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 7:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
You should convert an unchanged copy of the package, if you re-convert a converted package that's not going to fix anything. But lines appearing in CAS could be a separate issue and I didn't get that. If you download a fresh package, convert it, and still get the lines, could you upload the converted package for me? You could pm me a link if you prefer.


Nah I fixed it, converted a fresh package and got it working just fine.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#82 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 7:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
Nah I fixed it, converted a fresh package and got it working just fine.


Good - see my edit above, but IMO the spots being so visible could be related to the shadow problem since that's caused by alpha channel complications and v2.0 was modifying the alpha in ways that I suppose could cause this. You might look at some point and see if you still see them faintly like I do.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#83 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 1:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Good - see my edit above, but IMO the spots being so visible could be related to the shadow problem since that's caused by alpha channel complications and v2.0 was modifying the alpha in ways that I suppose could cause this. You might look at some point and see if you still see them faintly like I do.


I will check it out next time I go in game. I had the issue with the program closing randomly on me again. I got 34 files done out of 1,000 before it closed on me.

Edit: I see it too. It's faint but it's there.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#84 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 2:59 PM
Sorry about the random closing of the program, but without an error message and no other reports of this happening (so far) I can't do anything at this point. I'll think about it, maybe something will come to me.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#85 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 4:04 PM
Version 2.2 uploaded with a fix for shadow lines reappearing.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
DELETED POST
9th Dec 2018 at 4:05 PM
This message has been deleted by claudiasharon.
Top Secret Researcher
#86 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 7:49 PM
Okay so would running the program onto a different drive help? It was on my C drive but I downloaded the new program and put it on my D drive. So far so good, knock on wood. Only done 8 so far though, so hard to tell.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#87 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 9:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
Okay so would running the program onto a different drive help? It was on my C drive but I downloaded the new program and put it on my D drive. So far so good, knock on wood. Only done 8 so far though, so hard to tell.


Without knowing why this happens I can't say. If it continues to work on another drive that might mean it's hardware.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#88 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Without knowing why this happens I can't say. If it continues to work on another drive that might mean it's hardware.


It's the same PC though, what hardware would be only on C not on D?
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#89 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
It's the same PC though, what hardware would be only on C not on D?


The hard drive itself could have a bad spot. It's unlikely to be the problem, though, since the operating system detects and works around bad sectors.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#90 Old 10th Dec 2018 at 1:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
The hard drive itself could have a bad spot. It's unlikely to be the problem, though, since the operating system detects and works around bad sectors.


I have my C drive as a solid state but my D drive isn't, could that have anything to do with it?
Oh and I noticed when I have the program running, sometimes my screen goes black like it is going to sleep. Hubby says it could be my monitor is going, but it seems to only happen when I run your program. Right now I have it on D drive, but it was on C drive.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#91 Old 10th Dec 2018 at 1:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
I have my C drive as a solid state but my D drive isn't, could that have anything to do with it?
Oh and I noticed when I have the program running, sometimes my screen goes black like it is going to sleep. Hubby says it could be my monitor is going, but it seems to only happen when I run your program. Right now I have it on D drive, but it was on C drive.


Well, it might run faster on solid state although again that's kind of doubtful. As for the screen going black, that's happened to me as well. I think it's caused by the computer trying to hibernate the screen or maybe by the GPU being locked up by the repeated resizing operations. (Resizing is done by using the graphics card to draw the resized image.)

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#92 Old 10th Dec 2018 at 11:19 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 2:05 AM.
This is so frustrating, it will work for a little bit then shut the program down. I had to add it to exceptions in my antivirus, could that have something to do with it maybe?

Edit: I tried turning off my internet and disabling my antivirus but it still shut down on me. Ugh. I wonder if the 32bit would make a difference. Or would it give me the system memory error?

Edit 2 32bit did the same thing. Ugh.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#93 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 3:37 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Dec 2018 at 3:04 PM.
I completely understand how frustrating this is.

If you can get a time when the program failed you can try looking in the event log and see if you can find errors that happened at that time. It might not help much but is worth a try.

https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...you-can-use-it/

You can also check that your video card driver is up to date.

Edit: I added something to try to catch and display errors - please try the attached version and see if you get an error message.

Edit: Test versions replaced by version 2.3.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 4:21 AM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 1:54 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
I completely understand how frustrating this is.

If you can get a time when the program failed you can try looking in the event log and see if you can find errors that happened at that time. It might not help much but is worth a try.

https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...you-can-use-it/

You can also check that your video card driver is up to date.

Edit: I added something to try to catch and display errors - please try the attached version and see if you get an error message.


I looked through it and got this error a lot. And I mean a lot. Tons of it.



Dled the file will test it out.

It closed on me again but I didn't get a message about why.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#95 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 2:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiasharon
It closed on me again but I didn't get a message about why.


The error you saw in the log is just a normal Windows thing, according to the Microsoft support site.

IMO the fact that it's still failing with no error means that the application itself isn't throwing a normal type of error and it's likely to be some sort of operating system or hardware conflict. You can test a few more things, like try disabling the power saving sleep and hibernation in case that's interfering somehow, and monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures. (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...es-windows.html) And again you should check that your graphics driver is up to date.

The converter is a fairly memory intensive application and also uses the CPU and GPU to a lesser extent, so my guess is that it's somehow pushing one of those beyond your system's tolerance, but that's only a guess. Memory problems really should give an error and if your system can run TS4 it should be able to run the converter. It's baffling.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#96 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 5:40 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 7:17 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
The error you saw in the log is just a normal Windows thing, according to the Microsoft support site.

IMO the fact that it's still failing with no error means that the application itself isn't throwing a normal type of error and it's likely to be some sort of operating system or hardware conflict. You can test a few more things, like try disabling the power saving sleep and hibernation in case that's interfering somehow, and monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures. (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...es-windows.html) And again you should check that your graphics driver is up to date.

The converter is a fairly memory intensive application and also uses the CPU and GPU to a lesser extent, so my guess is that it's somehow pushing one of those beyond your system's tolerance, but that's only a guess. Memory problems really should give an error and if your system can run TS4 it should be able to run the converter. It's baffling.


My graphics are up to date, also I found some info about your program.

This is from the version you shared with me yesterday.



And also a second before that message:



So not sure what that means.

Edit: If I am reading it right, which I am probably not, does it mean I don't have permission to use it?

Edit2: Ran as administrator and got the same message as above again and the program closed on me again.
Ms. Byte
Original Poster
#97 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 9:25 PM
Okay, that actually tells me a lot. The error in the second message typically means the program is trying to access memory in a spot it's not supposed to, narrows down where in the code it's happening, indicates what's going wrong and why there's no error message. Why it's happening and why on your computer and not as far as I know on any others is still a mystery.

You found these in the event log?

Are you using default settings?

Are you sure it's not any particular package? Have you tried with a completely different set of packages? Maybe divide them into two sets and see if one completes and the other doesn't. (I'm guessing here, figure almost anything's worth considering.)

Meanwhile I'll go into my code and put in some safeguards that should catch the problem before a crash, assuming it's actually what that message says it is.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#98 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 9:46 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 10:06 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
Okay, that actually tells me a lot. The error in the second message typically means the program is trying to access memory in a spot it's not supposed to, narrows down where in the code it's happening, indicates what's going wrong and why there's no error message. Why it's happening and why on your computer and not as far as I know on any others is still a mystery.

You found these in the event log?

Are you using default settings?

Are you sure it's not any particular package? Have you tried with a completely different set of packages? Maybe divide them into two sets and see if one completes and the other doesn't. (I'm guessing here, figure almost anything's worth considering.)

Meanwhile I'll go into my code and put in some safeguards that should catch the problem before a crash, assuming it's actually what that message says it is.


Yes this was in the event log, I was just looking in the wrong section before. It is random packages by different creators. I went through and started my clothes, and did some clothes from KiaraZurek and it did it, then Onyxsims the next day and it did it, random TSR creators it has done it, random tumblr creators as well. I put all my clothes into one folder, and started the program with the default settings (every time, I never changed them), and the program started from the top. It really seems like package creator wise it is completely random, as I finished Onyxsims and it did it a few times there, and now it's on Peacemaker-ic and it did it once there so far.

EDIT:Added the three packages from the last crash.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip PCTS4MCButtonedUpJeansHQ.zip (7.85 MB, 5 downloads)
Description: This was the last file it did
File Type: zip PCTS4ComfyPullover.zip (3.59 MB, 6 downloads)
Description: This was the next file
File Type: zip PCTS4MCButtonedUpJeans.zip (2.28 MB, 4 downloads)
Description: PRE-HQ
Page 4 of 9