Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#51 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 3:26 PM
if there are no compatibility settings on it, and it still doesn't run, @thewrittenletter would you try copying and pasting the exe to the tsdata folder and trying it? If you use bodyshop, it could have a borked pathway as well. I just tried it from the tsdata folder instead and it still works, so perhaps try that? btw it took longer to load for me from there, but it read the patch fine.

smorbie run the 4 gb patch on your sims2ep9.exe (or whatever expansion pack you have that is your latest one You find it in your program files

If you have the game on disk and everything, look in the mansions and gardens folder in program files. If you have double deluxe or UC it is under fun with pets then mansions and gardens you apply it to the exe directly I would make a copy of it and put it somewhere as a back up first tho

if you want, pm me and I will try and help you more one on one if you get lost

My posts arent showing up correctly when I post them this morning, so I accidentally double posted so am combining them.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
if there are no compatibility settings on it, and it still doesn't run, @thewrittenletter would you try copying and pasting the exe to the tsdata folder and trying it? If you use bodyshop, it could have a borked pathway as well. I just tried it from the tsdata folder instead and it still works, so perhaps try that? btw it took longer to load for me from there, but it read the patch fine.

smorbie run the 4 gb patch on your sims2ep9.exe (or whatever expansion pack you have that is your latest one You find it in your program files

If you have the game on disk and everything, look in the mansions and gardens folder in program files. If you have double deluxe or UC it is under fun with pets then mansions and gardens you apply it to the exe directly I would make a copy of it and put it somewhere as a back up first tho

if you want, pm me and I will try and help you more one on one if you get lost

My posts arent showing up correctly when I post them this morning, so I accidentally double posted so am combining them.

When I download the patch and click on it, it opens up my sims documents folder and wants to go somewhere in there. That's not in program files. It's the folder that has cameras as the first item, the one that includes the downloads folder.

Are you telling me I don't put it somewhere in there, but put it in program files instead?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#53 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 8:47 PM
Right, you have to change where it points to, in the window that pops up, and go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin for Ultimate Collection for instance, and select the sims2ep9.exe (or just sims2ep9 file if you have program extensions hidden).
Field Researcher
#54 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 10:53 PM
Oh no, everything's going horribly wrong - it's 100x worse now!! I have Ultimate Collection and it's been crashing constantly. I only just spotted this thread and I've tried to follow the advice but I must have gone wrong somewhere! Computers and my brain just aren't compatible! I would really appreciate some advice. Here's what I know:

Memory in my config log is showing up as 2048.
I ran the patch in Program files(x86)/Origin games/Sims 2 ultimate collection/Fun with pets/SP9/TS Bin/Sims2EP9.
That didn't affect config log memory at all.
I tried running the game from Origin. It'd reverted back to original neighborhoods/no CC/800x600 resolution with no option to change.
Checked config log again. No change.
Turned off compatibility settings and tried playing again. Same problem.
Cut Sims2EP9 and its shortcut from TSBin and placed in CSBin. No change.
Selected Windows 8 compatibility as the internet suggested. No change.
I've tried running through Origin and directly through Program files but getting the old neighbourhoods and no CC etc. I didn't think to back up before trying all this stuff (Why would I, that's what sensible people do!) so have I lost everything now?!?!

I can't see a link to the flexible .exe thing that's been mentioned up-thread? What else can I try? My game was hugely frustrating before, but it's unplayable now!!
Mad Poster
#55 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Right, you have to change where it points to, in the window that pops up, and go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin for Ultimate Collection for instance, and select the sims2ep9.exe (or just sims2ep9 file if you have program extensions hidden).

Thank you! That was easy. Now, on to the next step. Pray for me.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#56 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:21 AM
Well this has turned out not to be why my game is freezing on saving, but a driver update did take off my 4gbt patch and my memory was being used up, at least on Skyrim so both have helped even if I still can't play sims yet. I am still waiting on a new better power supply. So far we have had no luck on finding the cause of this strange issue that only occurs when cc reaches about 2.8 gigs(any CC), even someone else folder. I guess the last step will be a full reinstall.

I am open to all and any suggestions by this point.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#57 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Well this has turned out not to be why my game is freezing on saving, but a driver update did take off my 4gbt patch and my memory was being used up, at least on Skyrim so both have helped even if I still can't play sims yet. I am still waiting on a new better power supply. So far we have had no luck on finding the cause of this strange issue that only occurs when cc reaches about 2.8 gigs(any CC), even someone else folder. I guess the last step will be a full reinstall.

I am open to all and any suggestions by this point.

What is an icon of an sim doing in the middle of the road and above 2 houses. That's some freaky graphical glitch that I wish that I would never encover.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#58 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 8:00 PM
Her game isn't saving correctly and whatever sim she saves on shows up on the road :/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#59 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 9:22 PM
@joandsarah77
Is there a thread anywhere that gives your system specs and lists what you've tried already?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#60 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 9:12 AM
@simsample No, I've been working with gdayars on it, but we are stumped. I have never heard of anyone having this issue and all I can think of is that AGS or the driver update somehow corrupted it.

Ramblings under a spoiler.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#61 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 11:15 AM
Not sure I'll be any help @joandsarah77 but here are some things I thought of.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#62 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 11:36 AM
My 4GBT patch is on, sorry if that wasn't clear, that was the first thing I checked and reapplied.

My game is on Program Files(x86)

I had issues with an antivirus on the computer before my last one, so I looked at my anti virus first. Turning everything off made no difference to the bad save.

Gina can tell you more since she is the one who gave me directions to get my game back. I am not very techy so while I followed directions I can't explain what happened or what I did to get it back. It did involve the registry.

My graphics rules is in place.

Virtual Store files? I've never heard of those. If you mean the sims 2 store I have never had that. I am on all separate disks.

I rolled back the one upgrade and the one optional one. I actually made a restore point before the first upgrade and couldn't find it when I looked for it after the optional upgrade.

I have no idea how to get the report wizard back, at the time I hunted online but that only yielded results for people who wanted to uninstall it. Don't know why since it comes with an uninstaller.

Dh just let me know my computer is going into the high school IT guy in the morning for the 750 PSU. So that's something I guess.

Thank you for the ideas, I will ask Gina about doing those.

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#63 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:51 PM
The LAA flag is still there it just isn't read in the exe unless you move the exe to a different folder, or as I found out this morning, just rename the tsbin folder (in my case tsbinbkup2) and then it runs fine. Something is triggering keeping it from working from that exact location. I still think it is an internal setting somehow, but am not sure what it is. It happened after a driver update/psu problem for me, I rolled back drivers and it helped, I replaced PSU and most of the problems went away, but the 4 gb patch was still not working. I worked for days, and finally came up with that workaround. I don't call it a solution, because while it works, it doesn't solve the reason why it borked in the first place.

As far as what we have tried, we have tried checking to make sure she could write to that save folder, (writing to it is allowed) we tried the standby memory fix, which helped her other ways, but didn't solve that one, we tried a new psu but as was said, it isn't powerful enough, so we are waiting to see on the 750 when it arrives, we fixed the 4 gb patch thing (with the workaround) we tried different documents folders, which all work fine btw until she hits the magic number on cc. It doesn't matter what the cc is, it stops working after a certain amount of cc. I even wondered if she had a problem with a ram stick, and it is failing but then she would be apt to see failures at other times. I don't think the program files are actually corrupted because then the game wouldn't run even with no cc. We rolled her drivers back, but the problem has persisted. The thing is, it can run fine til she saves. She can access buy catalog, she can access build catalog, everything til she saves.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 3:19 AM
You know I have object errors when I create a sim

Sims 2 Rocks! :D
Test Subject
#65 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 2:10 AM
I recently installed Sims 2: Ultimate Expansion on Windows 10 and have been experiencing crashes. I went to follow this guide but upon trying to use the 4gb patch I found that my Sims 2 folder doesn't have a Fun With Pets folder, therefore I could not locate the .exe . I even tried typing it in manually (all correct spelling) and it says it doesn't exist. Should I reinstall my game?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by raspberryteasims
I recently installed Sims 2: Ultimate Expansion on Windows 10 and have been experiencing crashes. I went to follow this guide but upon trying to use the 4gb patch I found that my Sims 2 folder doesn't have a Fun With Pets folder, therefore I could not locate the .exe . I even tried typing it in manually (all correct spelling) and it says it doesn't exist. Should I reinstall my game?

If you can run your game, the .exe exists. So try searching your Program Files for Sim*.exe - that will find it for you.

Quote: Originally posted by Pickles89
Oh no, everything's going horribly wrong - it's 100x worse now!! I have Ultimate Collection and it's been crashing constantly. I only just spotted this thread and I've tried to follow the advice but I must have gone wrong somewhere! Computers and my brain just aren't compatible! I would really appreciate some advice. Here's what I know:

<<snip>>

I can't see a link to the flexible .exe thing that's been mentioned up-thread? What else can I try? My game was hugely frustrating before, but it's unplayable now!!

The link to the more flexible .exe is here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7800

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Mad Poster
#67 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 9:24 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2018 at 11:09 AM.
I tried the suggestion as to what you're supposed to do if you lose the 4GB fix. I BELIEVE I installed the patch a second time after reinstalling M&G, but this was two years ago. I've obviously lost the patch ... my log does not read 4096.

So ... fine. I got rid of the read-only for a short time, copied the exe shortcut, put it on my desk. Tried to run the game from the new shortcut, as suggested in the video.

I'm now getting that stupid DirectX9 message again: "Failed to enumerate any DirectX9 compatible graphics adapter in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX9 compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest manufacturer provided driver. The application will now terminate ...."

I remember having this problem some time ago when reinstalling my game on a new OS. Problem is, while my good game works fine and doesn't get the message, this new shortcut does. I'll try my search skills here, but in the meantime, does anyone remember what to do in a case like this? (Windows 7, by the way. And I should mention that I fixed my GraphicsRule file some time ago. Also, I fixed the compatibility for the new exe. I'm still getting the Direct X9 message. In short, I followed the steps I took the last time to fix this, and that worked the last time:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...hlight=DirectX9

Also: https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/the-...-error-message/

So apparently, going the exe route is not going to work for me.

Should I just try reapplying the NTCore patch again and HOPE I didn't do it previously? (Apparently, I downloaded it twice already! )

EDIT ... Yes, I do have compatibility set. However, without it, I wound up with a massive glitch with Happy Holidays. Much of the stuff wouldn't show up in the game, and I wound up with a nearly-headless Santa! It was a huge pain in the butt to fix, the only way to fix it was to set compatibility, and I'd rather not fix it again ... ever. So unless this is just a temporary measure to fix the 4gb issue (disable compatibility, apply the patch, enable again), that is not going to work for me.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Undead Molten Llama
#68 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
EDIT ... Yes, I do have compatibility set. However, without it, I had a massive problem with Happy Holidays. Much of the stuff wouldn't show up in the game, and I wound up with a nearly-headless Santa! It was a huge pain in the butt to fix, and I'd rather not do it again ... ever. So unless this is just a temporary measure to fix the 4gb issue and I can re-activate it again, that is not going to work for me.

I dunno about the rest of the stuff, but the game won't use 4GB of memory if you run it in any compatibility mode. Doing so will disable the patch and you have to patch again to get it back. Perhaps it's because those older OSs that you generally set to use as a compatibility setting -- like Windows XP -- are not 64-bit OSs, and AFAIK you can't have the game use 4GB of memory on 32-bit OSs. So, if you want the game to use 4GB, you may have to sacrifice the Happy Holidays pack if it won't work for you. You'd have to make a decision about which is more important to you. I will say that the holiday pack works fine for me at least in the sense that all the stuff shows in the catalogs/CAS; I've never done the Santa thing because I don't inject real-world holidays or religions into my game, so I don't know about that specifically. But if it didn't work....Well, personally, I'd rather have a prettier game with larger, more fully-decorated neighborhoods that don't crash more than I'd want Santa visits and a few decorative objects, so that'd be the choice I'd make, but one size certainly doesn't fit all, as they say.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 11:40 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2018 at 11:54 AM.
(Sighing.) Yes, I guess you're right. It also means never using Santa or Baby or Father New Year again because they came out really freaky before I did this. It's been a while, but Sims generating with these outfits or hairstyles will also look freaky. Strange that only a handful of people had this problem. But not so strange in my case, I believe. I get so many weird glitches. In other words, I would have to uninstall HH entirely.

I wish there was some way to force the patch manually, much like I've had to do with fixing graphics settings. I've always had to fix them manually ... Graphics Rules Maker never worked for me.

What I CAN try is to disable compatibility, apply the patch again, and see if it took. If it did not, then I have another problem not related to the patch, HH, or anything else. Just see if it will take in the first place!

I already have a no-CD crack (I looked at the link for the flexible exe.) Had it for years. It's probably the same one that celebkiriedhel has ... we almost certainly got it from the same place. The date is the same. Maybe that is causing problems, and I'm SOL.

EDIT ... Nope. Even with compatibility off, the patch won't take.

Undead Molten Llama
#70 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 12:01 PM Last edited by iCad : 24th Apr 2018 at 12:50 PM.
No, I use the same crack and it works fine with the 4GB patch; they change different things in the EXE. Probably a lot of people use that crack since the UC SecuROM-removal patch that EA did that also forced the game to launch Origin when loaded. (Sneaky EA! ) I haven't heard of anyone having problems. You definitely cannot run the game in compatibility mode, though. Doing so will disable the patch so, no, it won't "stick." So far as I've seen, it's a common problem with people trying to use the patch because running the game in a compatibility mode is one of the recommended things to do help with game crashing. But you can't use the patch AND compatibility mode. They are mutually exclusive. It's one or the other, and generally speaking, making the game Large-Address Aware (meaning, making it capable of using 4GB of memory) will help with crashing a LOT more than running in compatibility mode will.

I suspect that you have an underlying issue with your Holiday pack install that compatibility mode is fixing. So, it may be possible to still use it. Perhaps you should try it with compatibility mode off and the 4GB patch applied and see if the issue is still present.

EDIT: Did you do the step where you cut/paste the EXE from TSBin to CSBin. Simply moving it doesn't work. You must cut it and then paste it.

EDIT again, because this just struck me: Is your operating system 64-bit? I believe you can apply the patch in 32-bit systems, but it won't actually do anything, which might be why the patch isn't appearing to stick. Even if it DID stick, I don't think it'd actually work.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#71 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 12:07 PM
Is the problem with happy holidays pack just with the clothes? Or is it with other parts of the pack? Happy holidays pack is glitchy as over the years I have had it uninstall the clothes twice. There is a fix however for the clothing part for the UC that you could use most likely with the regular game as well that possibly would take care of it.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 1:15 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2018 at 3:53 PM.
Here are some of the missing pieces:

This hair: https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/303048.html
Santa beard
This outfit: https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/213906.html

I had this problem so long ago, but know there are other issues. I believe the Santa/Father Time hair, the American Santa hat and the New Year Baby outfit were all affected (this the nearly-headless Santa ... just a scalp. That's it.) I know some other clothes were as well. And strangely, it's not ALL the clothes.

It may not be a horrible issue because if the Sims are wearing the Santa suit, it would probably default to a Maxis suit (another feature of the nearly-headless glitch for many). But it does irritate because it means I'm missing a good chunk of this pack.

SOMETIMES, I could get the clothes if I used a new default, but not always. I tried it for the hair mentioned above. It didn't work. The ONLY thing that fixed it was setting compatibility. I tried so many other fixes ... so many ... I think that short of a game reinstall (which probably wouldn't work, since others tried that), the question is, "What DIDN'T I try?" There is some fault in the Maxis coding or a conflict of some sort ... beats me what it is. It has nothing to do with CC ... I tried on a vanilla game.

This problem has been around for a long time: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...highlight=Santa. Longer (complete with Nearly Headless Santa scalp: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ighlight=Santa). Also: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...highlight=Santa

None of the suggested fixes to get them back worked. I tried them. Uninstalling these are pretty easy, of course ... just get rid of the two files. I replaced the objects.package. Reinstalled a bunch of times. Tried the UAC trick.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...highlight=Santa
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535448 (I go into a whole lot of detail in this one!)
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535448

This time, I actually have the European Santa hats. Yay, me?

Anyone curious ... see if you're missing any of the outfits or hair I was missing, please. Maybe I'm just lucky that way.

Oh! Something important! As you people wrote, getting rid of compatibility DID work! I apologize ... I forgot to uncheck the box on the exe file. That was my error. But there should be a warning that if you do that, you nay miss many of the items in the HH SP. For most, it's probably not a big deal. But again, I wish there was a manual way to force this to the 4 gigs and STILL have HH. It's probably not a problem with the Origin version.

Undead Molten Llama
#73 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 1:41 PM
When I'm in my game again, I'll test the Santa thing, if I can figure out how to do it. But, I can use the hairs/clothes and have all the objects so I suspect it will work fine.

I DO know there are two different versions of the Holiday pack, though, an older one and a newer one. IIRC, one was only released in the US or something like that. Or maybe one was only released in Europe. Something like that. Anyway, perhaps that's your issue with it? Perhaps one version has issues with later EPs and the other doesn't?

Mad Poster
#74 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 3:49 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2018 at 4:32 PM.
I have the US version, and the later one. I think the earlier one is called Sims 2 Party Pack or something like that. And yes ... one is a little different.

https://www.amazon.com/Sims-Happy-H...C/dp/B000HAWCFE
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims...y_Holiday_Stuff

Now I'm wondering if others having the faceless Santa problem had this problem all along ... they did not indicate compatibility. I'm also wondering that when I had the last problem, if it was because I had Win 7 and had just installed the patch. I know I installed the patch considerably later after I reinstalled the game after moving from XP to Win 7. I reinstalled M&G a year later (after I fixed the Santa problem), so I can't check the dates to see when I installed the 4 GB patch. I could check to see when I installed the game, and MAYBE there is some info in the NTCore file. But it's a silly effort. The patch and my game clearly don't like each other.

I tried the clothes fix, even though I had Win 7. According to one of my old threads, I got some clothes back, but some were still missing. The ones in the above links are among them. I did not get any hair back.

The good news is that the stuff is still in my game files. The bad news is that I can't see it!

But again, perhaps this should be listed as a risk when using this patch if you have disks. Not a high risk, perhaps, but a risk. And yes ... the patch definitely has something to do with it. I had everything last night before I got rid of compatibility. I checked right before I did the latest 4 gb patch. As indicated, it might be a risk that users want to take, because many don't consider HH a big deal. I'm still trying to figure out how to have both!

I really wouldn't be surprised if you could fix this via SimPE, going piece by piece. Maybe something got toggled when I put in the patch and you have to untoggle it ... or vice-versa. But I haven't a clue what, and as far as I know, neither does anyone else. And I would absolutely have to know which items are being affected, since not all of them seem to be. Last time, I tried to figure it out. I looked at a piece of clothing still in the game via Sim PE, then looked at the info for a missing piece. But I just don't have the know-how to figure it out. I looked!

Mad Poster
#75 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 4:11 PM
The patch works with UC (if you're smart enough to do it. Thanks, again Gdarays!). Is there a reason you don't want to use UC?

Page 3 of 15