Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2013 at 6:19 AM Last edited by heaven : 13th Jun 2013 at 3:10 PM.
Default Story Contest: Fairy Tale Edition
Foreword and Warning

For two years now, I’ve hosted a story contest that many people have enjoyed, even just the lurkers who read along. With summer fast approaching, I believe it’s time to start up another one. Welcome to the Story Contest: Fairy Tale Edition!

Fairy Tales: most of us have grown up with them and they’re magical stories that you remember, even well into adulthood. Like most genres, fairy tales have specific elements that make them what they are: special beginnings and endings (once upon a time anyone?), magic, folkloric characters, and a problem to solve.

All images EA images except Rapunzel: by missroxor

I will preface this entire thing by stating that this is HARD work. You will be writing an entire short story in as little as 10 weeks (2 weeks per round). That’s, at the very least, 5,000 words overall with at minimum, 50 or so pictures. If you do not think you will have the time, please be courteous and do not enter. We would love to have you and understand if something comes up during but if you know you have other priorities (school, work, vacation, etc) please take that into consideration.

Host Qualifications
  • Hosted Story Time – Cycles 1 and 2
  • Participated through all rounds of MTS Official Foundations contest
  • Was judge for Lifelover’s Build to Plan contest
  • Was emergency judge for missroxor’s Make Me a Model contest

Introduction

Each contestant will create a main character (see rules below for guidelines) and write a story about them in 5 chapters. Sounds easy? There are some twists: each round will consist of certain events/things that need to take place in the story as well as incorporating a certain line/excerpt from a movie that will have to be in the contestant’s entry. The story must flow from round to round, with the same main character, finally coming to a conclusion. It can be a happy ending, or tragic or a cliffhanger (maybe this will prompt people to continue in the Sims Stories forum) or somewhere between those. Because, even though it’s more common, not all fairy tales have happy endings.

The contest will be set up in 5 rounds; starting with your introduction and ending with your conclusion. Each round will be 2 weeks long. Extensions may be granted but are not likely so please use your time wisely!

*If you participated in the first and/or second cycle, please read through the rules and scoring anyway. This is not the same contest but rather a continuation and rework of the first and some things have been changed!*

Rules
Contest Rules:
1. Forum rules apply.
2. Sims 2 and 3 allowed.
3. One entry is allowed per person. Round 1 counts as your application round.
4. Any and all custom content is allowed. See below for scoring related to CC.
5. There will be no eliminations, however entries are capped at 20 participants.
6. Photoshop is at the extreme minimal. By this, I mean that you can add a border to your pictures, but that is it. No words, no adding images, no changing backgrounds, lighting, etc. If you are doing a flashback, you are permitted to change it to greyscale or sepia and smudge/fog the borders but please be conservative in your use of this. No full chapters as a flashback.
7. No recycled or “borrowed stories”. All stories must be original and new. If you have a story in the Sims Stories forum/Blogger/Tumblr/etc you MAY NOT use it. If I find you have (or have borrowed a story from the forum or anywhere else) you will be disqualified.
8. There will be a photo limit per story as well as word limit per picture. This will be stated per round. Compliance to these limits is scored. To get your word count, either use Microsoft Word, if you have it, or Word Counter. Pictures should follow upload guidelines: minimum of 800x600 up to a maximum of 1280x1060.
9. Grammar and spelling will NOT be judged. Please try your best but it is more important that the story is understandable and flows.

Story Rules:
10. Stories must be a fairy tale but they may be set in historical (standard) settings or you may do a modern day fairy tale. You may also choose to do a well-known fairy tale with a twist: just be sure to really make it unique and interesting (which will be harder than coming up with your own).
11. Likewise, characters may be any age or species. Remember, the story will come to a conclusion; young adult or adult sims may be easiest but selection is up to the contestant’s discretion.
12. All main characters must be made by the contestant and must fit your story. Side characters may be made by others or generated by game but if you use others’ work, please credit them.
13. Stories may be written in first or third person. Again, this is up to contestant discretion but be consistent throughout all rounds.
14. Events/things and excerpt must be included each round. Excerpts must be written exactly the way they appear. If you choose to change the tense or wording, that is up to you but you risk losing points.
15. Story must be PG-13. Also, please keep cursing to a minimum and RELEVANT to your story or character. I'm not saying you CAN'T use curse words but please be thoughtful in how/why the character would use those words.
16. Bonus Rounds may include introducing a character or incorporating a second line into the story. Bonus Rounds are done in conjunction with your entry, not as a separate one.

Round Explanations:
Each round will be explained in detail below. There is a list below that has 20 events/objects/themes (5 rounds, 2 per round means that you will only use half) that you may choose from; 2 per chapter. Additionally, you may not reuse any idea in subsequent chapters; once YOU use it, it's gone. Previously used themes may be discussed in subsequent chapters as long as there are 2 new ones. Nothing, even if it alludes to an expansion, requires an expansion pack. Use your imagination, get creative! That’s what this is all about! Please remember that these do not have to be taken literally and at face value. They also do not need to happen directly TO your character.

• Enchanted Forest
  • Poison Fruit
  • Elves
  • Talking Animals
  • Quest
  • Rundown Castle
  • Enchanted Shoes
  • Ogres
  • Magical Rings
  • Bard
  • Mystical Lake
  • Cursed Touch
  • Fairies
  • Portal
  • Dragon’s Breath
  • Dank Cave
  • Magical Cape
  • Giants
  • Love Spell
  • Handmaiden

Prizes
Currently there are no prizes available, it’s just for fun. Anyone wishing to donate a prize please PM me.

Contestants
Need at least 10 contestants!
ContestantsRound 1 Score | LinkRound 2 Score | LinkRound 3 Score | LinkRound 4 Score | LinkRound 5 Score | LinkFinal Score
1. ReyaDRound 1
2. Nirar22Round 1
3. TamlynRound 1
4. albino-ottselRound 1
5. VågenRound 1
6. porkypineRound 1
7. pixipulatorRound 1

Score Details

Judges
I need 3 judges, willing to devote their time to this. It is also tough on judges with needing to read up to 20 chapters per judging round so please only sign up if you can commit. I prefer those with judging and/or story telling experience for feedback purposes.
1. LadyAwesome
2. GigaRevival
3. SeeMyu

Emergency Judges
1. heaven
2. TheCantankerousUnicorn

Judging Parameters
1. CREATIVITY 45 points overall:
  • Originality of story 15 points: Is your story unique and interesting? If it is a retelling of a well-known fairy tale, have you made it appealing and new?
  • Use of excerpt 10 points: Is your excerpt expected? Does it blend in with the story or is it plopped randomly in?
  • Development of character 10 points: Are your characters flat, one sided sims or realistic and multi-faceted? Do they have believable reactions/dialogue? Are the extraneous characters fluff or do they add to the story?
  • Events 10 points: Do the events you chose work well with the overall plot? Are the two themes tied together well? Do they make sense to be used together?

2. SCENES 30 points overall:
  • # of pictures 10 points: Did you have the correct number of pictures for the round?
  • Mood, storyline 10 points: Did your words mentally set a stage for us? Did the use of descriptive words help us “feel” the scene?
  • Use of props/staging 10 points: Did you choose appropriate scenes/props for the mood you were going for? If you are doing medieval, did you have a TV in the background? Are your angles relevant to the specific scene they are portraying?

3. FLOW 20 points: Does the story flow cohesively from one point to the next? Are your rounds consistent with each other?

4. RULE ADHERENCE 4 points: Were the events and excerpt included in your entry? Did you use photoshop? Are your word limits in line with what is stated each round? Did you use the entry form? (It is up to each judge to determine how much to penalize if a contestant goes over/under the word limits up to a max of 4 points)

5. CC 1 point: Exclusion of CC makes creators really think and be creative with what is in game. Therefore, contestants will receive 1 point if no CC is used and 0 points if any is used. You MUST state if you used CC at the bottom of your entry. If you do not, it will be assumed that it has been used. Note: Custom worlds, poses, OMSPs, and store content do not count as CC. Skin/hair/eyes/sliders can be used without penalty but please be sure to let judges know that you used them. Other CC, including build/buy content or clothes/accessories will count towards the points. For contestants with TS2, recolors for Maxis objects are also allowed and will not be counted as CC.

6. BONUS 5 points: Did your use of the bonus content really help move your story along? If so, how well? Was it used in an expected way? (Judges may award anywhere between 0 for no use at all and 5 for well incorporated, creative use of bonus)

Scores for each judge will be added together and averaged so each round you have a possible of 100 points. Constructive criticism from the judges is encouraged but not mandatory.

Helpful Links

1. How to Write a Good Story: Used for the Sims Stories Forum but useful here as well. Continuity and Picture chapters are particularly helpful.
2. Picture Taking Tutorial: Can be used in Conjunction with above to get great pictures.
3. Elements of a Short Story: May help you better plot things out and get a better of idea of how to navigate a short story.
4. Common Elements of Fairy Tales

Entry Form

Please include a brief summary (around 100 words) before your entry. (Not relevant to the first chapter)
Also, please include information listed below your entry:
  • Current Prompts: What did you use this chapter?
  • Previous Prompts: Here you will keep a running list of what you have already used. (Not relevant to the first chapter)
  • Word Count: (Does NOT include brief summary, please use counters listed in Rule #8)
  • CC Used: (Can be as simple as "hair" "default eyes" "custom world" though credit/links are always nice for the creator)
Please utilize the spoiler tag for your actual story. Here is a great example of how you can organize your entire entry: Qnshr5: Hero Edition - Round 5

Round 1 – Prologue – Countdown Timer
Guidelines: Round 1 should set the tone of your story. From here, readers should be able to get a general idea of what your fairy tale will be about. This can be set up through a prologue or just diving straight into your first chapter. Make sure to set a strong setting and really paint a picture for us of your fairy tale world. Remember, each subsequent chapter will need to add to this one. Between 1,000 and 1,500 words and 10 to 15 pictures. Anything above or below this numbers will result in loss of points.

Excerpt: Choose ONE of the following quotes.
“I don't do backstory, however I am becoming very interested in yours.”
“It is truth, but truth is not always appearance.”

Round 1: Bonus Worth 5 points: Include this second quote:
“Magic is the bloodstream of the universe.”

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Advertisement
The other one
#2 Old 15th May 2013 at 6:23 AM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 15th May 2013 at 6:37 AM
As much as I really REALLY want to join this again. Like this contest wont be the same without me. I want to offer myself as a judge although it pains me I don't have the time to be a contestant....

I do however have to put my study first :D

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th May 2013 at 3:32 PM Last edited by heaven : 15th May 2013 at 3:50 PM.
Checked in! Let's get this party started.

Kayla/LA, I would -love- to have you as a judge! Hopefully it's a little less hectic than being a contestant. :p

Also, was asked a question:
Quote:
the rules say: any age or species - can my story be animals only, without humans?

The answer is yes. If you can do an entire story with only animals, you may choose to do so.

Round 1 has been updated with a countdown timer. It is 3 weeks from today, rather than 2, to give everyone a chance to set up their world/set whichever they need and create their main character(s).

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Inventor
#5 Old 15th May 2013 at 7:06 PM
Yay! New story contest!!

I'd like to be a judge too, if you'll have me (again).

"Goonies never say die."
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2013 at 7:08 PM
Of course Giga! Will add you now!

Scholar
#7 Old 15th May 2013 at 7:30 PM
If its ok with you I'd like to put myself forward as an emergency judge. I haven't judged before though.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th May 2013 at 8:21 PM
You're welcome to be an EJ. As an EJ myself, I give written feedback to all the contestants, even though they don't get scores from me. It will be nice to have someone as the backup's backup though, just in case, heaven forbid (that's right, I forbid it), we lose 2 judges.

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 15th May 2013 at 10:51 PM
A sims story contest with a fantasy theme, how long do we have on this for this may take me some little time to create one?

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Scholar
#10 Old 15th May 2013 at 10:58 PM
The count down timer is right below the round 1 banner, Artimis.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2013 at 10:58 PM
Artimis, I said in the "checking in" post that it was 3 weeks and there is a timer right in the Round 1 Description labeled "Countdown Timer". You'll know exactly how much time you have.

Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 15th May 2013 at 11:00 PM
Thanks I will have a look and decide on wither or not I should enter.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
#13 Old 16th May 2013 at 9:31 PM
Found this from the Random Legacy thread. I'm tempted to enter, but I'm not sure if my idea will qualify or not. The setting is historic, magical(wizards/witches, fairies, and lots of normal humans running around), and I've found a way to incorporate ten of those items on the list, but the story would also have some technology elements, of the "so advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic" variety. I'm not sure if that technology aspect would automatically disqualify it or not.

My sims blog
Currently playing: Katran Random Legacy
Scholar
#14 Old 16th May 2013 at 9:47 PM
Are we allowed to ask questions here? missroxor's comment scared me :S
If not, sorry.

Say I set my story in an enchanted forest, would I only be able to mention that once? Or am I allowed to mention it each chapter (as long as I have 2 other qualifiers)?
And, could I have someone call someone a 'stupid ogre', and use that as my ogre reference, or does it have to be a bit more obvious than that?

One more:
Could I use the quotes like this: “I don't do backstory," She said, "however, I am becoming very interested in yours.” - well, obviously I could, what I mean is would it count to the full points if I broke it up like that, or does it have to be exactly as stated?

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Scholar
#15 Old 16th May 2013 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gemly_teddie
And, could I have someone call someone a 'stupid ogre', and use that as my ogre reference, or does it have to be a bit more obvious than that?

Obviously you'll have to wait for Heaven to answer, but personally I believe that question is just part of the competition : P

Anyway I have my own question. My entry is almost done so can you show us what format you'd like at the end of each entry, Heaven?

Like word count, themes, etc. What do we need to list for the judges?

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th May 2013 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89
Found this from the Random Legacy thread. I'm tempted to enter, but I'm not sure if my idea will qualify or not. The setting is historic, magical(wizards/witches, fairies, and lots of normal humans running around), and I've found a way to incorporate ten of those items on the list, but the story would also have some technology elements, of the "so advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic" variety. I'm not sure if that technology aspect would automatically disqualify it or not.

That would certainly be okay! The story can be set really in any setting you'd like. Fairy tales are not soley historically based so feel free to really make it your own. The link that I posted above about Common Elements of Fairy Tales should give you an idea of some of the things that make up the genre though. I know it says set in the past but you do not need ALL of the elements to have a fairy tale.

Are we allowed to ask questions here? missroxor's comment scared me :S
If not, sorry.

Say I set my story in an enchanted forest, would I only be able to mention that once? Or am I allowed to mention it each chapter (as long as I have 2 other qualifiers)?

One more:
Could I use the quotes like this: “I don't do backstory," She said, "however, I am becoming very interested in yours.” - well, obviously I could, what I mean is would it count to the full points if I broke it up like that, or does it have to be exactly as stated?

Feel free to ask questions! Of course!

1. The enchanted forest would only count once for your prompt requirements but you wouldn't need to change the setting each time. It can be mentioned more than once, just only counted once so each round after that would need to have 2 different things. You could have an elf as your main character and count that in chapter 1 but it wouldn't keep counting each chapter, even though you don't change your character's species. Something like "stupid ogre" might be such a slight mention that the judges may not catch it. Of course, you're willing to give it a shot!

2. Hmm, that ones a bit tricky. You have the quote exactly there as it's said, just broken between. I would say that's probably okay. Don't split it between characters or anything though but if you want to put punctuation type stuff in or italicize something to highlight it without changing the wording or tense, I say that's fine.

Also, I noticed I mentioned the entry form in the "Rule Adherence" section of the judging but didn't actually put IN an entry form for you. Sorry about that. It's added in now so please be aware of that.

Interstellar Traveler
#17 Old 17th May 2013 at 2:12 AM
As you wish, heaven! I'd, of course, love to judge again with permission! Since tomorrow is my last day, and my work schedule is usually about a 5-6 hour shift, I can fit in time to do this again!

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Field Researcher
#18 Old 17th May 2013 at 12:12 PM
Ooh, we're allowed to break up the quotes this time.

I've got ideas; now I need to see if I have time.

For those wondering how subtle references to the theme can be, going back and reading the stories from the previous contests (and the judges, given we have some of the same judges) might help you. Also, you'll get to read some awesome stories, so it'd be win/win.
Scholar
#19 Old 17th May 2013 at 4:43 PM Last edited by ReyaD : 17th May 2013 at 5:13 PM.
I know this site hasn't been updated since my birthday for personal reasons that took all my time away. But there's still more than 200 different pose sets already listed and may be helpful to people working on their stories.

The TS3 Pose Directory

Scholar
#20 Old 17th May 2013 at 7:01 PM
Thanks for the answers, heaven. Just to clarify; I could include talking animals all the way through, as long as I only counted it as one of my two themes once?
For example: Introduce a chatty horse in chapter two, and have him in chapter three as well but include an elf and a fairy to count as my two for that chapter?

And, should I link to each creators pose site that I use, or mention the username and link to the directory (as Reya D previously linked to)
And would I have to list the cheats used, like debug enabler? Or is that completely irrelevant?

I know, I'm overcomplicating this :p

And thanks in advance for answers, I don't want to clog up the thread with 'thanks'

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th May 2013 at 8:47 PM
Thanks for the answers, heaven. Just to clarify; I could include talking animals all the way through, as long as I only counted it as one of my two themes once?
For example: Introduce a chatty horse in chapter two, and have him in chapter three as well but include an elf and a fairy to count as my two for that chapter?

And, should I link to each creators pose site that I use, or mention the username and link to the directory (as Reya D previously linked to)
And would I have to list the cheats used, like debug enabler? Or is that completely irrelevant?

I know, I'm overcomplicating this :p

And thanks in advance for answers, I don't want to clog up the thread with 'thanks'

Haha, yes, you're complicating it a bit! You don't need to mention poses, mods, hacks, cheats, anything like that. Mostly because anything like that won't count against you in the scores. The main reason for the credit is for judges to easily be able to tell if you used CC that will prevent you from getting the one point or not.

And yes to the horse thing. He'll count for talking animal in chapter 2 but won't again in 3, 4, or 5, even though you can still use him!

Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th May 2013 at 3:43 AM
Bless you Gemma--asking all those questions and now I don't have to, lol

I do have another question, about worlds and CC. I found this world that I want to use, the problem, it comes with CC. Will that CC count against me? I don't remember all the different CC things in it, but the windows are definitely CC. I like the world enough that I will still use it irregardless, but if the CC included with the world counts against me anyway, then I won't bother with keeping the clothes and other stuff CC free. Thanks Heaven!

Nirar's Nest: My TS3 Stories, Sims, and Builds hosted by TFM's Sims Asylum
You must be registered to view the site. :)

Kahekili Random Legacy My Random Legacy story blog
The Stone Kings A Medieval Random Legacy
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th May 2013 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nirar22
Bless you Gemma--asking all those questions and now I don't have to, lol

I do have another question, about worlds and CC. I found this world that I want to use, the problem, it comes with CC. Will that CC count against me? I don't remember all the different CC things in it, but the windows are definitely CC. I like the world enough that I will still use it irregardless, but if the CC included with the world counts against me anyway, then I won't bother with keeping the clothes and other stuff CC free. Thanks Heaven!

It depends. If it never shows in a picture, then no it doesn't count regardless of it's in the world you're using or even the house your sim is living in. So if you're worried about the 1 point, you can play with the angles. Or switch the shown window out for a similar one. But you wouldn't have to go through the entire world and change everything. Only pictured CC counts against you, unless it's mentioned above as being allowed. Also, terrain paint won't count if the world came with it you don't need to remove/erase it for your scenes.

Field Researcher
#24 Old 22nd May 2013 at 8:15 AM
I have made characters. I still don't know if I have time.

Everyone who has popped in here so far seems to be from the RL thread. I know I always forgot to look in this forum since there was rarely anything happening, but hopefully someone will post a story soon
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd May 2013 at 3:14 PM
I hope so too Tamlyn! We've still got 2 weeks.

One thing I didn't mention that I think is worth putting in the main post is that, last time, we had a lot of people start putting their stories under spoiler tags. It was fantastic as it allowed the thread to load a bit faster and you could scroll past stories you'd already read to get to the new ones without waiting for a bazillion pictures to load. So I'm going to ask that everyone do that again.

Page 1 of 3