Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 8:00 AM
@kileta: Well, there's nothing like making some noise with a good story!

@Mr_Valentine90: Here's hoping your imagination kicks into high gear tonight!

For everyone who's working hard typing words and taking pictures, trying to come up with an idea... hope you were able to get what you wanted done this weekend. Don't worry, even if you haven't started or decided if you want to do this contest or not, you have plenty of time to finish.

Memory Games A Sims 3 Thriller Mystery
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 9:14 PM
Round 1 Entry
Story Title: Les Secrets De La Nuit (Secrets of the night)

Genre: Horror

Synopsis: In the small Louisiana town of Deveraux, life is not always what it seems. At night, strange things have been known to happen and many fingers point to the town’s voodoo lady. Some say she is insane, some say she is wise. But one things for sure, they can all agree she is the true definition of evil.
Recently divorced Clara moved here for a fresh start, but her need for revenge will cause her bigger problems than she can handle, will she be able to reverse the damage she's caused in time or will black magic suffocate the bayou once and for all?.....

Requirement: “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” (Romance)

Bonus: no bonus

Word/Picture Count: 20 pictures 2,000 words

Les Secrets De La Nuit

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Forum Resident
#28 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 10:06 PM
I have a question, about the quotes that we must use. Are we allowed to break them up with description (keeping it as one sentence), or must they be inserted as they appear as one whole?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Valentine90
I have a question, about the quotes that we must use. Are we allowed to break them up with description (keeping it as one sentence), or must they be inserted as they appear as one whole?

Quotes should be kept together as they appear. You would lose a point or two for breaking it up, but still keep some points for having it and--assuming we're only talking about a couple added words--doing it well. So, you'll have to weigh your options.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 4:36 AM Last edited by Qnshr5 : 24th Jun 2014 at 8:19 PM.
Sorry I'm just now getting back. Got together with my sister and debated whether War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise was a good movie or not. After that, I completely forgot to check the contest until now!

Congratulations to frenchyxo22 for being the first entry! Hurray!

If anyone is still confused on what the entry looks like or how to submit, look three posts up for an example! Also, if you do edit your entry after posting, don't forget to update your word/pic count if you add or subtract from them.

Finally, still need judges/emergency judge. The main thing I'm looking for are people who are writers or readers and who feel comfortable giving constructive criticism, feedback and encouragement to contestants. This isn't a requirement, though (the part about writing/reading). I will help any judge who needs clarification/understanding. So, if you qualify per MTS contest rules (been a member for at least 1 month, have 20 posts, committed to seeing the contest though, judging promptly & fairly) and are interested, let me know either in a post or by private messaging me. I'll send you PM to get any needed details. This means if you've already inquired about being a judge, check your inbox! Then reply to me so I know if you're still interested or not. I PM because not everyone is comfortable with the whole forum knowing their business. Alright. I'll be traveling all morning tomorrow and won't check back here until the afternoon. That is all. G'night! G'morning!

Test Subject
#31 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 7:29 AM Last edited by callissialim : 24th Jun 2014 at 8:02 AM.
I'll try my hand at romance, one question, is a mild gay relationship allowed? I'm horrible at straight romances. It always ends up cheesy and tacky. But gay romances I can do slightly better. LOL. I'm new here so I don't know how to format the screenshots so that they look like a story or caption images in GIMP 2? Thanks.
Test Subject
#32 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 7:52 AM
Can we also include music/soundtracks that are recommended because the story I have in mind is song based.
Space Pony
#33 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 12:05 PM
GOD...I cant wait to reach my 20th post to ask you to pick me as a judge...i'm on my 18th...
Space Pony
#34 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cherry4567
GOD...I cant wait to reach my 20th post to ask you to pick me as a judge...i'm on my 18th...

i volunteer .... :D
now that I'm done,Can I be Judge????!!!!
and about stories, I haven't read sim stories for a while but I read romance and sometimes horror.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Qnshr5
Quotes should be kept together as they appear. You would lose a point or two for breaking it up, but still keep some points for having it and--assuming we're only talking about a couple added words--doing it well. So, you'll have to weigh your options.

Thanks, I think I'll risk it.

Good job on your story frenchy I hope she gets some voodoo revenge.
Test Subject
#36 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 3:40 PM
this is pretty fun, but i have trouble with my Mods Folder
Forum Resident
#37 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Mr_Valentine90 : 29th Jun 2014 at 12:20 AM.
Round 1 Entry

Story Title: Only Nightmares

Genre: Horror

Synopsis: David Reeves is a famous author coming off the back of a successful series of novels. He has just purchased a cabin in the woods to get down to some serious writing in a new style with a new genre. Will he end up with something profound? Is he telling a story or merely retelling one? Will he fall victim to his own creation?

Requirement: “True! – nervous – very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am! But why will you say that I am mad?” The Tell-Tale Heart, Edgar Allen Poe (Horror)

Bonus: No Bonus

Picture/Word Count 20 Pictures / 1991 Words

Only Nightmares

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#38 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 7:43 PM
It's because you have image and url tags. You just need the [ img ] [ /img ] (minus spaces) with the address in the middle. No url tags.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
It's because you have image and url tags. You just need the [ img ] [ /img ] (minus spaces) with the address in the middle. No url tags.

Thanks Jones, gonna fix it now :D

Edit: All done, Thanks again!
Instructor
#40 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 8:10 PM
Good Job Mr_Valentne 90 very intriguing story cant wait to see what happens next!
and your sims look nice & unique too

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 8:13 PM Last edited by Qnshr5 : 24th Jun 2014 at 8:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by callissialim
I'll try my hand at romance, one question, is a mild gay relationship allowed? I'm horrible at straight romances. It always ends up cheesy and tacky. But gay romances I can do slightly better. LOL. I'm new here so I don't know how to format the screenshots so that they look like a story or caption images in GIMP 2? Thanks.

You can do any kind of romance. You don't have to caption the images. You'll just type or copy/paste your story under the pictures. See frenchy and Mr_Valentine's entries on how your story should look. Screenshots must follow MTS guidelines. Pictures must be 800x600 (minimum) to 1280x1060 (maximum). See Creator Guidelines Screenshot Basics. You can either upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket and copy the "img" onto this site or attach them directly to the MTS site. See How to Post Pictures

Can we also include music/soundtracks that are recommended because the story I have in mind is song based.

I have nothing against you including a link to a song or a list/thoughts of inspiration, but it won't be judged at all. If you do, I ask that the link be below the entire entry form so that judges can see all the info that is being judged together. Put it in a spoiler to keep your post uncluttered. You can include a short *Note:* above your form to let readers know that you have a song they can listen to below so those who want to can click on it/look it up before they begin reading. Example-- *Note: music link below

@Mr_Valentine: addinged you to the entry list! Great job!

@cherry: sending you a PM shortly! *EDIT: check your inbox*

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#42 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 8:21 PM
No problem Mr_V looks good!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 9:32 PM
Cherry4567 is our first judge! Yay!!!

There are two more judge slots left. Anyone interested read the judging section and this post for more info.

Test Subject
#44 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 2:01 AM
Sorry got a bit confused. What does the 5 to 20 entries mean
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thelavandersim
Sorry got a bit confused. What does the 5 to 20 entries mean

That is the minimum and maximum amount of contestants/entries that can be accepted in this contest. So, we need 5 entries/contestants for the contest to be able to continue to the end. If there aren't at least 5 before 8 July 11:59 it will be cancelled. However, if it reaches 20 entries at any point in time before this round ends, then no more entries will accepted. (and the 21st almost contestant will be very sad )

Test Subject
#46 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:40 AM
You can do any kind of romance. You don't have to caption the images. You'll just type or copy/paste your story under the pictures. See frenchy and Mr_Valentine's entries on how your story should look. Screenshots must follow MTS guidelines. Pictures must be 800x600 (minimum) to 1280x1060 (maximum). See Creator Guidelines Screenshot Basics. You can either upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket and copy the "img" onto this site or attach them directly to the MTS site. See How to Post Pictures

I have nothing against you including a link to a song or a list/thoughts of inspiration, but it won't be judged at all. If you do, I ask that the link be below the entire entry form so that judges can see all the info that is being judged together. Put it in a spoiler to keep your post uncluttered. You can include a short *Note:* above your form to let readers know that you have a song they can listen to below so those who want to can click on it/look it up before they begin reading. Example-- *Note: music link below

@Mr_Valentine: addinged you to the entry list! Great job!

@cherry: sending you a PM shortly! *EDIT: check your inbox*

Thank you! One last question, is blood and gore allowed? My story is really quite gory and contains sensitive imagery like rape( implied).
Space Pony
#47 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 9:01 AM
Quote:
Thank you! One last question, is blood and gore allowed? My story is really quite gory and contains sensitive imagery like rape( implied).

Quote:
7. PG-13 or below only! No Explicit material please! This means no graphic violence, sexual themes, or mature adult material. Cursing is allowed, but must be kept within reason/relevancy

I assume you won't be able to use it... but wait for Qnshr5 for the permission . but i still don't think so
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 5:42 PM
callissialim, cherry is correct. The rules against graphic violence and sex are not just for this contest, but one for any story put on the MTS site. You can imply that there is a lot of blood in a scene by how the character describes it without being gory. A simple description like "Blood dripped from the corners of the sink and the tank lid of the toilet. More rolled down the walls in a thousand tiny crimson streams. The dark liquid pooled together on the tile floor making it appear that the tub had overflowed during a revolting bath." Then move on with the story. The audience still gets the point. They can visualize the bathroom without having to lose their supper in the process. The brain has a way of filling in the gaps so there isn't a need for a step-by-step run down of violence. That said, it is best to deal with the aftermath of rape rather than the act itself. Even if you're delicate with it and give few details, this is one of those areas that are very difficult to represent well because it's extreme violence on every level (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual). Plus, an actual victim may read your story and... well, let's just say this can bring up trauma and offense. But, the aftermath, on the other hand, is not only easier to relate to, but it is often more powerful than describing the act. The aftermath lasts years... forever... people heal and overcome in different stages, so there's a lot you can do. Or you can imply that something is about to happen before the act and pick up sometime after. Like I said, the brain (imagination) has an incredible way of filling in the blanks. Give the audience just enough info and they'll know. So, I'm saying no to actually showing rape, but it's ok if you're character is dealing with rape.

Test Subject
#49 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 3:42 AM
callissialim, cherry is correct. The rules against graphic violence and sex are not just for this contest, but one for any story put on the MTS site. You can imply that there is a lot of blood in a scene by how the character describes it without being gory. A simple description like "Blood dripped from the corners of the sink and the tank lid of the toilet. More rolled down the walls in a thousand tiny crimson streams. The dark liquid pooled together on the tile floor making it appear that the tub had overflowed during a revolting bath." Then move on with the story. The audience still gets the point. They can visualize the bathroom without having to lose their supper in the process. The brain has a way of filling in the gaps so there isn't a need for a step-by-step run down of violence. That said, it is best to deal with the aftermath of rape rather than the act itself. Even if you're delicate with it and give few details, this is one of those areas that are very difficult to represent well because it's extreme violence on every level (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual). Plus, an actual victim may read your story and... well, let's just say this can bring up trauma and offense. But, the aftermath, on the other hand, is not only easier to relate to, but it is often more powerful than describing the act. The aftermath lasts years... forever... people heal and overcome in different stages, so there's a lot you can do. Or you can imply that something is about to happen before the act and pick up sometime after. Like I said, the brain (imagination) has an incredible way of filling in the blanks. Give the audience just enough info and they'll know. So, I'm saying no to actually showing rape, but it's ok if you're character is dealing with rape.

Thank you so much! I was really confused about how much gore could be put in per se, and cherry and you helped cleared up for me.Sorry, I'm pretty new. Active for only a month...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 5:47 AM
Thank you so much! I was really confused about how much gore could be put in per se, and cherry and you helped cleared up for me.Sorry, I'm pretty new. Active for only a month...

No problem. And thanks for finding out first.

Page 2 of 12