Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 1:26 AM
Default Favorite House
What historical house/ residence is your favorite and why?

C.T.HOLKO88
Advertisement
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 1:16 PM
I guess that has to be Mies' Farnswoth House. It's just so simple and innovative for its time. It looks modern now and it's been 60 years since it was built <3

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Alchemist
#3 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 1:30 PM
I can't choose between the Updown Court and the Falling water marvel

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 11:38 PM
I was doubting between Falling Water and Farnsworth ^^

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Alchemist
#5 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 2:40 PM
Yeah Farnsworth house and Falling water are futuristic for their time.
I mean, Falling water was buitl in the 30's and still looks modern with a big nature touch.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#6 Old 12th Nov 2012 at 11:03 PM
I have three actually Fallingwater designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, Biltmore Estate designed by Richard Morris Hunt and Stan Hywet Hall designed by Warren H. Manning
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Dec 2012 at 10:51 PM
I definately love Villa Savoye, that is why I have set it as a picture of the group. I also like Wright's first studio.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 7:35 PM
About the favourite house - this is the Yablanski house in Sofia, it's a kind of a local architectural landmark and one of the most beautiful mansions in Bulgaria. It is in the style of neobaroque.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#9 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 11:41 PM
It is really hard to choose only one because I love historical architecture with a fiery passion. I'm also a Frank Lloyd Wright fan my Favorites are the Johnson Wax Building, and the Guggenheim. The Guggenheim was the most tranquil building I've ever stepped foot in, I could just stand at the top of the ramp looking down forever.

I guess I will go with Chateau de Montvillargenne. I love it because it is still in use (as a hotel.) I hate when wonderful homes get converted into museums, (or worse, fall into disrepair) it removes all the life from them. It still has it's original grounds (always such a shame when the grounds get sold off of estates, but understandable why it happens.) and it's outside of Paris.

Theorist
#10 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:13 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 23rd Nov 2014 at 4:59 AM.
FLW's Ennis House.

I like the other three concrete block houses in LA as well.
Scholar
#11 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 2:23 PM
I have many "favourite" houses that have stolen my heart over the years, but of them one of the more unusual ones has a place closer to my heart than some of the others. It's quite an 'average' and 'everyday' kind of house, of course, being me, it's historical. But it's not terribly grand or out there. The Lachlin McTaggert House of Hoquiam, WA is one of my favourite houses:

Quote:
This American Four Square style dwelling was built in 1907 by Lachlin McTaggart, a builder, painter and investor who was also in the furniture and undertaking businesses. The house features beveled cedar siding, a hipped roof with shed dormer and decorative exposed rafters beneath the eaves. The house was restored to its original condition in the early 1980s; more than 100 people in the community returned items originally in the house to assist the owners with the restoration effort.

It's not terribly exotic or designed by a famous architect, it's not even worth that much; it's realestate listing was how I came across it online, but I can't help but feel affection for it. It's the kind of everyday Americana that can be found all across the USA especially in the PNW. And for me, that idea combined with its uncommon design make it a gem of the architecture world.
Scholar
#12 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 1:10 AM
Default I wanna live here...
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 2:25 AM
That is beautiful tsyokawe

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#14 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 2:36 AM
It's somewhere in Canada. I tried to find out where, but couldn't find any other information...
I'm in love with it. I can just imagine all the little tweety birds, chipmunks, and squirrels...
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
It's somewhere in Canada... tweety birds, chipmunks, and squirrels...

...and beavers if you're lucky. Moose would be a particular bonus. In any case, the place sure is lovely!
#16 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 6:34 AM
Default I could be happy here
No idea where it is, but I like it.

Instructor
#17 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 7:29 AM
@tsyokawe if living somewhere like that didn't make you sprout cartoon animals companions like Lily Tomlin in "9 to 5", then well, I just don't know if I can believe in anything anymore...
Scholar
#18 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 7:10 PM Last edited by Fergus' Mind : 11th Sep 2015 at 8:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by cutsocks
@tsyokawe if living somewhere like that didn't make you sprout cartoon animals companions like Lily Tomlin in "9 to 5", then well, I just don't know if I can believe in anything anymore...

And make you want to skip off to the break room and poison your boss' coffee...
Scholar
#19 Old 11th Sep 2015 at 7:55 PM Last edited by Fergus' Mind : 11th Sep 2015 at 8:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion
No idea where it is, but I like it.

If it's any constellation, without the columns it looks to be an early Georgian/late Restoration era (Queen Anne, William and Mary). The pitch/shape of the roof lends and proportions of the façade lends it quite well to being a Queen Anne or William and Mary era/style home. But not being an expert on the styles of columns, I couldn't tell you what era they date from, but I get the feeling that they're probably not original. I can tell you that the colour of brickwork is more common in the midland and northern counties of England, possibly home counties at a push. If it was in the central or southern counties it'd most likely have terracotta roof tiles. Having seen it now, I'd also like to know where it is and a little of its history.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 2:52 AM
Even th its not a residence this is one of my favorites in my home town of Pittsburgh, PA
The Allegheny Courthouse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleg...unty_Courthouse
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#21 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
Even th its not a residence this is one of my favorites in my home town of Pittsburgh, PA
The Allegheny Courthouse

Wow! I love all of the American Romanesque details on its facade. Absolutely stunning!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 7:46 PM
There's a beautiful mansion in Camden, Maine that I would like to steal every single rock from:

Quote:
Norumbega Castle, was built in 1886 by Joseph Stearns who was the inventor of the duplex telegraphy system. In order to to get design ideas for the castle, he spent a year visiting many of the castles of Europe. He then took favorite features of each castle and incorporated them into the design for Norumbega. Stearns and his family lived in Norumbega until his death on July 4, 1895.

Over the years, Norumbega has had several owners, among them former State Department official Hodding Carter III. In 1987, Mark Boland converted the castle into a bed and breakfast which today is owned by Murray Keatinge.
Screenshots

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#23 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
There's a beautiful mansion in Camden, Maine that I would like to steal every single rock from:

I've seen that place before, it was for sale a while back, it had quite a nice interior too, which you can see part of here.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 10:06 PM
Another one is the Henry Clay Frick Mansion "Clayton" here in Pittsburgh! Its a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick...storical_Center
In which I have been too quite a while ago when I was in school!
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#25 Old 13th Sep 2015 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
I've seen that place before, it was for sale a while back, it had quite a nice interior too, which you can see part of here.

Stunning - thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2