Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nurse4kitties
I have tried updating/installing the patch, and it terminates prematurely, with a statement about "an invalid file". I do NOT want to reinstall the damned game, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Anyone else have problems updating?

I have the exact same problem. And I've DLed all of the other updates just fine.

But oh well...I've got awesomemod
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:45 AM Last edited by Killmur : 29th Jul 2009 at 3:58 AM.
Well so far I have noticed a problem. I don't know if it's just this one skill or all of them. Logic seems to fizzle out after a while and no LONGER levels up. A reload of the game save seems to help. O_o

Edit: It seems to be doing it to all the skills cause I noticed cooking was NOT leveling up either. Good going EA!
Scholar
#53 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:46 AM
The updates sound good.. but my mods are holy. Untill they are updated, no patch here.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:01 AM
I removed my mods folder, ran the update, started the game and all was fine. I then quit the game and put my mods folder back in and restarted. Everything is fine EXCEPT...I can't direct my sim to do anything that isn't in the same room with him without first directing him to go there. For example, to use the computer in the next room, I have to click on the floor in that room and have him go there and then when he gets there have him use the computer. Another example, I can't just click on the theatre or stadium and have him perform concert. I have to click outside them, have him go there and then when he gets there have him perform concert. He constantly cancels everything in the queue unless he's right there with it. Anyone have this problem??
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:07 AM
so far i havnt had any problems.... except my whole computer freezing once.. but maybe thats just a co-inkidink.

i didnt think to not install it.. is there anyway to uninstall it???
Instructor
#56 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:09 AM
I doubt it. EA probably removed the previous patch. I wouldn't put it past them or any game company.
Alchemist
#57 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:20 AM
Well i've been playing for the last few hours (seeing as i didn't have to go to school ) and i haven't come across ANY problems. So far. It even fixed my crashing problem. So I. Am. Great. .

And yeah i doubt they allow the patch to be uninstalled. Game companies don't normally make it very easy to -downgrade- a game.

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Scholar
#58 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:31 AM
I installed it and haven't found any issues with it. I don't have any hacks or mods...yet...so maybe that helps (or not). Time will tell.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:46 AM
Well, my game is all messed up....my downloader stopped working after the patch. Then I played around with restarting my computer a few times. Then the downloader installed my last few EA store purchases but my whole history of downloads is gone.

All the items in my downloads folder (mostly from this site) are gone. My game crashed several times at the loading screen but I finally got in and it seemed to play OK.

I tried unpatching the game but couldn't figure out how. Now I'm kind of at the disgusted stage. I don't know what to do about all my dl's. Guess I can start over....memories of many Sims 2 patch disasters come to mind.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:36 PM
I'll echo what a few others have said... I think it's good that they fixed so MUCH. Regardless of whether it touched upon all problems, that's still a lot of fixes. Although I agree that a few of the "fixes" didn't need fixing.

But I'm going to wait to download it a few more days, just to see what everyone's experiences are, and give my favorite modders a chance to update the mods that I just can't live without.
Test Subject
#61 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:00 PM
Not getting for the forseeable future. Awesome/Indie already fixed many of those issues and it takes away GRIMMY BABIES :[
Scholar
#62 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
Well, my game is all messed up....my downloader stopped working after the patch. Then I played around with restarting my computer a few times. Then the downloader installed my last few EA store purchases but my whole history of downloads is gone.

All the items in my downloads folder (mostly from this site) are gone. My game crashed several times at the loading screen but I finally got in and it seemed to play OK.

I tried unpatching the game but couldn't figure out how. Now I'm kind of at the disgusted stage. I don't know what to do about all my dl's. Guess I can start over....memories of many Sims 2 patch disasters come to mind.
Did you make a backup of your Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder?

Since I wasn't sure I had removed everything that needed to be removed for a successful patch I backup that Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder and then deleted the original. Opened up the game to generate a completely new Sims 3 folder under Documents. Then I also cleaned out everything from Program Files/Sims 3/ folder where my Mods/Packages folder was.

After installing the patch I copied over my Saved Sims, my Downloads (Which needed to be reinstalled via my Launcher), Mods/Packages items--minus all hacks like Facial and Body Slider hacks. I also copied over the saved games folder and pretty much every other folder once I verified the contents. I did it this way to avoid carrying unindentifiable files over to the game. I suspect some of them were error reports of some kind. Whatever they were, they are not part of a virgin file system nor where they anything I knowingly put into my game.

After finding out Riverview was acting oddly in the map views I also went to my Launcher to reinstall my download of Riverview. That did not fix anything, but it did not break anything worse, either.

To answer the original question posed by this thread, my Opinion of the Patch is that so far it's caused me enough disruption that I haven't had time to notice the benefits. And I can no longer have even the most unobtrusive of mods like the Slider hacks. So if I had to do it all over again, I'd have waited until all the reports were in on it.

If your game has been running fine, like mine did, and you enjoy your mods, my advice would be to wait just a little bit longer and see what all the new glitches are. I suspect there are plenty. I did as clean an install as anyone possibly could and I found Riverview's Map view to work oddly. I can no longer take my new sim to the Military Base for Handyman lessons. I am moving him to Sunset Valley to see if the venues there still work properly.
Forum Resident
#63 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by secretsim
It's not on the list, but does everything still disappear from a Sim's inventory if you switch households? It SUCKS you can spend like $30,000 to become a partner in a business, and the deed disappears once you switch active households

I just tested it. I got the business deed and switched households. It was still there.

Quote: Originally posted by gta3champion
I can't direct my sim to do anything that isn't in the same room with him without first directing him to go there. For example, to use the computer in the next room, I have to click on the floor in that room and have him go there and then when he gets there have him use the computer. Another example, I can't just click on the theatre or stadium and have him perform concert. I have to click outside them, have him go there and then when he gets there have him perform concert. He constantly cancels everything in the queue unless he's right there with it. Anyone have this problem??

I don't. My sims can use objects in other rooms and do stuff in rabbit holes just fine.
Forum Resident
#64 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:43 PM Last edited by ticklish : 29th Jul 2009 at 4:44 PM. Reason: spell error
you can still get grimmy babies if click on the grim reaper with debug interactions enabled just have too click on the grim reaper with get pregant interaction and the sim that was selected will have baby with grim reaper as the father
Field Researcher
#65 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:43 PM
I removed my mods folder, ran the update, started the game and all was fine. I then quit the game and put my mods folder back in and restarted. Everything is fine EXCEPT...I can't direct my sim to do anything that isn't in the same room with him without first directing him to go there. For example, to use the computer in the next room, I have to click on the floor in that room and have him go there and then when he gets there have him use the computer. Another example, I can't just click on the theatre or stadium and have him perform concert. I have to click outside them, have him go there and then when he gets there have him perform concert. He constantly cancels everything in the queue unless he's right there with it. Anyone have this problem??

i was having this problem also...like when my sims were standing around and tried to do something and nothing in their way they wave their hands like fools so i moved them into a big roomy lot and still the same but if i click the floor where its at they go and then i have to tell them to do what i want them to do so annoying so i just un did the patch

You can call me Tasia
My Writing Blog--> Lost In Reality
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:26 PM
Well, I just installed the new patch, Pescado's new AwsomeMod, and Indie Stone Mod. Then I played a couple of sim days ans everything seems to be working just fine: Michael Jackson got married to a cute black woman and I hope ISM gives them a few babies. I wonder who they will look like.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGirlTasia232
i was having this problem also...like when my sims were standing around and tried to do something and nothing in their way they wave their hands like fools so i moved them into a big roomy lot and still the same but if i click the floor where its at they go and then i have to tell them to do what i want them to do so annoying so i just un did the patch

How do you undo the patch?
Test Subject
#68 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:04 PM Last edited by dusti : 29th Jul 2009 at 11:34 PM.
I think the patch fixed a lot of issues I didn't even know existed. Yay for that.
On the other hand, there's still nothing about the disappearing tombstones. Would've been nice if all the missing ones would have shown up in the Mausoleum.

Awesomemod gives more room for your own configurations, EA just tries to fix their apparently less-than-perfect game. Is it just me, or has this happened before? Can't remember TS1 times anymore, but with TS2 there was always big fixes right after a new add-on, sometimes even a new patch.

It's not fair that us, as end-users, have to fix their screw-ups. Just so they can probably take the ready code and put it in their patches. And yet we pay for their games. Pff.

//edit
Forgot to mention the improved graphics with the Mac version. Less jagged edges, also the bottom of the shallow ponds is visible now. Feels like I can see every single fish too, so it's a huge improvement.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:08 PM
I've just installed the patch without the mods, the game starts fine but there is something weird about the graphic... my settings are at max and the game always ran smoothly, now it lags a little while moving around with the camera. I'll look into it, put back in all my mods (I don't have core mods so it should be fine) and do manual changes to my camera file, following what's different from the one I downloaded, I loved getting close to the sims.
Well... I'll do everything and test it for a couple of hours, then post here the results.

Nothing's real. Nothing's unreal either.
The frontier between true and untrue is a shady fuzzy line.
Destiny, or maybe the long flight's time-span, shall decide the issue.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:24 PM
This is list of files updated by this patch among files from "GameplayData.package" (C:\Program Files\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay\GameplayData.package")

If a XML tunning mod modifies these file, the mod may need to be updated for this patch.

S3_0333406C_00000000_0C6AFEE12A069672_MoveOutHousehold_0x0c6afee12a069672%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_0F70831C50A68894_ObjectCategoryData%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_18D1257ADFD2ED99_LogicSkill_0x18d1257adfd2ed99%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_2F9AACF9B2D00204_Opportunities%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_3D6D354A842B2257_KillSim_0x3d6d354a842b2257%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_4B0FC8F0A28B12EF_Socializing%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_547CBB82CE695C3E_Idles%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_8143819B0FC47373_ToddlerWander_0x8143819b0fc47373%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_9A976C90ECC75C81_DreamsAndPromisesNodes%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_B4336E6F80D6F69D_EmigrateHousehold_0xb4336e6f80d6f69d%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_BF46450A94A5EAB2_SocialCallback_0xbf46450a94a5eab2%%+_XML.xml
S3_0333406C_00000000_DC0D299F04BB3773_Career_0xdc0d299f04bb3773%%+_XML.xml
S3_03B33DDF_00000000_C3ABC13D6A7ECA90_PutAway_FirePit%%+ITUN.tuning
S3_0604ABDA_00000000_C6D81D0BCEBEE2A0_Painting Use%%+DMTR.dreamtree
Field Researcher
#71 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:49 PM
How do you undo the patch?

i just restored my compu back to my back up of before i installed it and everything is fine in my game

You can call me Tasia
My Writing Blog--> Lost In Reality
Mad Poster
#72 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGirlTasia232
i just restored my compu back to my back up of before i installed it and everything is fine in my game

Brilliant!

And, Summersong, thanks for the guidance on preserving the game, but, I'm not a computer expert and it's easier to just start over than go through all that backing up, removing, resetting, etc.!!! :b And I'm so used to patch disasters that I don't get too attached to my specific families any more.
Test Subject
#73 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:04 PM Last edited by jwlrip : 29th Jul 2009 at 8:19 PM.
The only issues I had with it were that my custom hair was all messed up. So I uninstalled the game and started fresh... and the hair (hair that came with the game) is screwy. I removed the mods and i'm still having problems with it. It's not a big problem, but it bugs me. Any ideas, solutions?

Edit: Ok, even after reinstalling, my game will crash during start up if my mods folder is in place.
Forum Resident
#74 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:05 PM
my sound is messed up since the patch...only can hear it will walls down.

Life is random - expect the unexpected!
Sims 3 Creations
Page 3 of 7