Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
#51 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 12:49 AM
The Sims 2 had a ton of patches. There simply was not a launcher to inform you of them. Instead, you likely got patches when you installed an EP.

Not to mention the game is violently more complicated than The Sims 1 and so it's violently more difficult to handle. I could probably program the sims 1 into RPG maker on the playstation. A more complex version, at that.
Advertisement
Banned
#52 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
Here are some helpful tips on not being rude: don't describe people's posts as "whining" or "asinine." Don't use hyperbole (i.e., unless you have someone's house bugged, you have no idea if they "never" know what they are talking about). Don't tell people to "grow up" and don't condescend. In other words, please don't think saying you don't mean to be rude disguises rudeness.

I siad I don't want to be, not I dont mean to be. I'm well aware that post was rude and I think it was completely justifiably rude.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 12:56 AM Last edited by hege23 : 11th Feb 2010 at 1:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
Well, that just shows you have very little history with PC games.

Complaining about a patch is like complaining about the landlord coming in and fixing cracks in the wall, chipped paint, and other minor annoyances.

A patch is a good thing. Lots of patches is not a bad thing. Getting things fixed is a good thing. Complaining about patches or the amount of patches is absolutely inexcusably childish. They are for your benefit.

If they had taken more time working on this game it wouldn't be a problem. As for people having issues with patches i am sure it's because every time you patch this stupid game something worse goes wrong and you have to redo everything to get it working again. Patches in general i don't have a problem with, it's when they cause more harm then good and require more tweeking to get it to actually behave .
I'm sorry, but this game was not just made for super geeks to play. It was released to the genral public and should not be up to modders and people that can read and crack codes to make the game playable. As much money as the average simmer spends on this game should be cause for them to make sure the game works properly. i no all games have bugs , but this particular one is absolutly rediculous. They have become arrogant and greedy. they don't care that the majority of the consumers are having problems. I have always been a fan of the sims, hard core i would say. i always bought everything they put out concerning it, but this go around has soured me , much like most people probably feeling tward this game.
My computer exceeds the requirement s and best i can tell , the problems i have had have nothing to do with ram, vidoecard and soforth. The problems are when you patch and then you have to go back and redo everything you did with the previous patch, and most of the time have had to further investagate a way to use custome content , since they have made it nearly impossible for you to use any CC except thier own, and half of the time theirs doesn't even work.
Theorist
#54 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 1:23 AM
The Sims 2 had a launcher too, IIRC. I don't know if it informs you of patches though, because I bypassed it, just like I bypass TS3 launcher. But as I recall, there's a patch for each EP, and maybe 2 at most, but no more.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 1:37 AM
Complaining about a patch is like complaining about the landlord coming in and fixing cracks in the wall, chipped paint, and other minor annoyances. A patch is a good thing. Lots of patches is not a bad thing. Getting things fixed is a good thing. Complaining about patches or the amount of patches is absolutely inexcusably childish. They are for your benefit.

Well, crap. This patch busted the launcher more than ever- I can't get my sims3packs, some of them, to reinstall. This includes the Gothique Fullset, purchased from the store.

You want to know the Secret... so did I. Low in the dust I sought it, and on high. No agony of any mortal brain shall wrest the secret of the life of man. The Search has taught me that the Search is vain.
Banned
#56 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 1:42 AM
I wasn't complaining about patches. The first comment is in regards to acting like patches in general are a bad thing. THe second refers to how one functionality of the patch is a bad thing.

Patches are still fantastic. Still broken launcher? Not so much.
Inventor
#57 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 3:27 AM
I siad I don't want to be, not I dont mean to be. I'm well aware that post was rude and I think it was completely justifiably rude.

Justifiably rude? Nope, such a thing does not exist, two wrongs do not make a right.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
Justifiably rude? Nope, such a thing does not exist, two wrongs do not make a right.

Well said! Though rude behavior can be avoided by adding the name to your "Ignore List".
- Click on User Links (from the top right)
- Click on User Control Panel
- Click on Buddy/Ignore Lists from the links on the left
- Add the name and click on Update Ignore List

It may take a couple of minutes for the system to process, but when it does you no longer see any comments from annoying and/or rude people.
Scholar
#59 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 6:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by werismyki
Well said! Though rude behavior can be avoided by adding the name to your "Ignore List".
- Click on User Links (from the top right)
- Click on User Control Panel
- Click on Buddy/Ignore Lists from the links on the left
- Add the name and click on Update Ignore List

It may take a couple of minutes for the system to process, but when it does you no longer see any comments from annoying and/or rude people.

Not a bad idea particulary if they talk a lot of twaddle. However, then threads can become confusing and you see the twaddle anyway in the quotes when people respond to something the ignored one said.
Forum Resident
#60 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 10:22 AM
Claeric, does your boyfriend work at EA or something?

Anyway, the patch didn't bork anything for me. As far as I know... I guess I'm just lucky that way.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#61 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 2:53 PM
How does nearly every thread end up with an argument with this guy? How is he not banned yet?
Banned
#62 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 5:10 PM
idk, the mods are probably smart enough to realize that what I say makes sense.

It is not my fault if nobody wants to listen to it, and instead go on about "lol wow do u date someone from ea???"

No, I dont date someone from EA. I'm simply informed enough to understand what I'm talking about and I understand what a patch is, why a patch is, and that it's not a damn bad thing.

A lot(and I mean a LOT) of people on MTS are completely ignorant of the world of gaming outside the sims and a lot of people here really, really have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to programming and making a game and patches and all that stuff. I'm trying to get people to stop being so petty and childish and ot educate themselves instead of whining about non-issues or supporting said whining with information pulled from nowhere(as with firewaller earlier).

I dont have to be dating someone at EA to do that.
Scholar
#63 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
How does nearly every thread end up with an argument with this guy? How is he not banned yet?

It's a mysetry.
Scholar
#64 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 5:54 PM
There is too much shameless flirting going on in this thread. Get a room, people! Sheesh!
Forum Resident
#65 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 6:05 PM
Yes, we're all secretly in love with Claeric.
Scholar
#66 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:12 PM
Actually I appreciate what Claeric brings to the table--a pretty sharp intellect and a knack for cutting to the chase. I can see those traits coming out in my own daughter and it's scary and exciting at the same time--she gets frustrated and impatient when people can't see what she's seeing and grasp the points she is making. My job as mom is to constantly evaluate how she handles this and point her in the right direction. What I think Claeric (and my daughter) lack, due to youth and inexperience, is discernment. Most young people have not yet learned what's worth exploding over and what's worth just shrugging, pointing and laughing at (to one's self, not ALOUD in the forum--pointing and laughing is for MATY, not MTS). Another thing both need to learn, and my husband at 42 is still learning--just because you do have a high IQ and do normally have a keen insight--doesn't mean you're always right in every situation. Accept you can possibly be wrong and back off just enough to be sure the other person's point of view is thoroughly heard and examined. If you still find their argument lacking, realize it's not always absolutely necessary that a victory be declared and back away from the situation graciously and allow everyone to save face and remain friends.

Eventually, if Claeric's as smart as I think he is, he's going to learn how to get along with people better. He's going to learn discernment, he's going to grasp the true art of debate. Meaning, eventually he'll learn to distance himself emotionally from an argument and put the case through based on only the facts, leave those facts on the table and step back and let people take it as they may. And he will learn to accept it graciously if they don't see it like he does. And when he does master all that--and in my experience truly smart people usually do-- look out. He's going to OWN all of us. Like it or not, the dude IS smart. What remains to be seen is if he's in the 100% smart category to take it all the way to success, or will he fizzle out and end up in the 80% smart category that hangs back from really running things because they're cynical and constantly patting themselves on the back for being geniuses that the world is too dumb to properly appreciate, blah blah blah. And therefore render themselves useless to really 100% smart people and the rest of us dumber but nicer people who get along and build things like good peasants should. :D
Banned
#67 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:29 PM
I know how to debate just fine and get along with people. I am pretty sure i've never said anything negative or unpleasant to you, have I?

It is very hard to bother to care to do those things when people won't give you the time of day to actually pay attention to what you say ;D It is very frustrating. If someone isn't going to be courteous in trying to pay attention, I'm not going to be courteous in holding their hand through it. Hence the earlier "justifiably rude" post. She absolutely refuses to even attempt to listen to anything anyone says about anything, and it's not getting across with pleasantries and sharing tea and cookies, so some yelling and blunt "jesus christ shut up and listen for once" was necessary.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:39 PM
now that that madness is past is anyone actually having this newest patch completely lock up thier game? I have WA and HELS and I have tried this patch after removing all my save games and stuff out. I just tried it again and it does the same thing. it just Locks up says its not responding and dies.
Im using win7 32bit. I let the patch download from the launcher. Is it possible its corrupted?
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:42 PM
Claeric and Summersong are my 2 favorite posters on this site. I agree with Claeric's points 95% it's sometimes his delivery that ruffles feathers, most of his points are dead on.

I'm a lurking member most everywhere just wanted to put in my 2 cents.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#70 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:42 PM
No, it wasn't. I don't want you to walk away from this thread thinking the rudeness was either necessary or justifiable. You are wrong.

That having been said, if this thread continues on the topic of Claeric, it will have to be locked. Return to discussing the patch or move along to another thread.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:47 PM
nm my problem is in the opening video. any attempt to circumvent it short of removing it causes the game to freeze, since the update.
Scholar
#72 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 8:17 PM
ok i did DOWNLOAD the latest update....but i didn't realize it was a 2 parter....after it installed the first one i thought it was done and opened up the launcher to see what it said...thats when a little thingy popped up saying i needed to close everything to get the rest of the update....

now the launcher says i have 3.1.7.blah blah blah....however it would like me to download to go from 1.9 to 1.10 blah blah blah....so i thought i didn't get anything...
i started my game...everything works including ALL CC...and i have my BUGs back....
so i ain't getting the rest of this update....i think i'll stick with my mistake..
Scholar
#73 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 9:12 PM
Oh jeez, it's another two-parter? The last prior to this recent patch installed on my machine in the oddest way. It updated WA first, then "yelled" at me saying I didn't have the base game updated so I need to do that. Well hello, it was an automatic process. Look Process, don't yell at me if you install yourself back-asswards! I'm still not letting it update to the most recent patch. I want to catapult people out of beds awhile longer. I also want to see if they issue another patch in the next couple of weeks, on top of this one. If they don't, I may still not patch until I absolutely have to have some mod or cc that will only run on the most updated game version. I'm sick of moving my files around for all the patches. Currently my game doesn't SEEM broken, so I'm not fixing it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#74 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:02 AM
I downloaded the patch from the direct link posted at MATY. Much easier!
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:44 AM
I haven't tried to get my stuff downloaded again from the Sims 3 site, but I have noticed that with the new patch what glitches I was having are now GONE... With all the problems people have been having with the simpacks, I think I'll just let those lie for now.
Page 3 of 5