Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2020 at 6:08 AM Last edited by TombRaider : 7th May 2020 at 6:16 PM.
Default The Sims Bustin' Out World (Lore-rich)
Years of planning and just wanting to create this for personal reasons have finally been put into action. This world I am working on is based on the console version of The Sims Bustin' Out. This world will also contain some aspects from The Sims 1 console and Urbz. Also from The Sims 1 PC.

The main focus is Bustin' Out and the stories will center around the Bustin' Out Time period. To fully flesh out the world, sims from the other games will be put into the story, with appropraite ages. This will be very rich in Sim lore.

I first edited The Sims 4 towns to resemble Bustin' Out, but it was not too my liking and was very limited, especially in how deep I can go with lore. So, I decided to switch to Sims 3. Here are the first looks at how the some of the town districts will be set up. This is Mimi's place and 1 Free Street, and The Octagon.

I am designing and creating everything myself. However, I would love some feedback. I've been studying all the tutorials available, and looking at other worlds for ideas on how to make my image come to life. If you see anything that you think looks off or have an idea of ways to improve the way something looks, please share. Any ideas are welcome. Most main districts are mapped out. Still a ton more work needs done. This is a very early stage, the terrain is nowhere near done yet.

Here are some updates of how the world is going. The past couple weeks, I have been focusing on custom content. I just made custom roads today and tested them. It should be noted that Sims will walk on their right side when they are walking. So, they will walk on the sidewalk when the road is on their left side, but when the road is on their right side, they will walk in the grass. Not sure how much custom content I will create, but the next couple weeks, I will focus on building the world more. It's still very early on, but I figured I'd add some bird's eye view of the world, just so everyone can get an idea of my vision. I'm trying to map it out how the little map is in Bustin' Out when traveling.

Advertisement
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#2 Old 7th May 2020 at 9:57 AM
This looks like nice idea. I guess from mountains this is going to be primarily a desert world then? I think if you decide to use subways in your world (which seems spread out) that you should locate stops at residential, commercial, and major worksites/attractions.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 7th May 2020 at 10:18 AM
You may want to export this and look at it in game to double check proportions and see if this is what you really want. That height difference to the bridge is enormous. Heights look different in CAW than in game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2020 at 5:16 PM Last edited by TombRaider : 7th May 2020 at 6:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
You may want to export this and look at it in game to double check proportions and see if this is what you really want. That height difference to the bridge is enormous. Heights look different in CAW than in game.

I'm not sure what you mean. These pictures are in game.
Edit: Do you mean where the bridge base is? Or just how high the bridge from the lowest area? That area is Pixel Acres, and it's up high with a bridge. I haven't figured out yet how I want that to look. I think if you mean where the bridge bases are, I might have the mountain slope down to meet the bridge bases. I'll take closer pictures of that area.

Here are some closer pictures. Of course this is not close to being finished, I'm trying to get the Mimi's district together first. This is a rough draft of Pixel Acres district. I'm not sure what I want to do with the area yet, especially the terrain, even the colors. I might try to edit the bridge to get rid of the two big supports to better resemble what it looks like in Bustin' Out, and so I don't have to edit the terrain like that. This area is more like a cliff, very steep drop offs. The terrain is not too sculpted at all yet.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th May 2020 at 6:12 PM Last edited by TombRaider : 7th May 2020 at 6:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
This looks like nice idea. I guess from mountains this is going to be primarily a desert world then? I think if you decide to use subways in your world (which seems spread out) that you should locate stops at residential, commercial, and major worksites/attractions.

I think only the left corner will be desert. That top left side will be The Octagon and the military area. Then leading to Dudley's trailer area. Other than that, I think it will be mostly grass. However, I've also been looking at LA styled worlds, like Los Aniegos, might do something like that. As of now, I'm not sure how I want to blend the different districts together. I've been playing around with different terrains. It'll be something to play around with, because you have the desert area with cacti for The Octagon and Dudley's trailer. Leading to Mom's house (farm area), then Mimi's and Free Street (suburbs). Left side of the river is Shiny Things and Sutdio 8, right side is Toan's Gym and Club Rubb, these will be the downtown districts. Far right is Goth Manor (forest area), and the other districts. I won't have a better idea of that till I sculpt the world more.

And yes, definitely will be subways, those won't come till closer towards the end, but I do have them planned on where I want them. I will definitely utilize the multipurpose rabbit holes. Like, the Downtown center will most likely have everything there, then each district will have a selection of community lots based on the district styles and needs. The majority of available living spaces will most likely be just the suburbs district and the downtown districts.

Edit: Do you think it is too spread out? I figured it would be a nicer transition between districts if there was more space, but I could condense it more. I'm still adjusting the district areas, and I have to put the new roads down anyway.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#6 Old 8th May 2020 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TombRaider
I think only the left corner will be desert. That top left side will be The Octagon and the military area. Then leading to Dudley's trailer area. Other than that, I think it will be mostly grass. However, I've also been looking at LA styled worlds, like Los Aniegos, might do something like that. As of now, I'm not sure how I want to blend the different districts together. I've been playing around with different terrains. It'll be something to play around with, because you have the desert area with cacti for The Octagon and Dudley's trailer. Leading to Mom's house (farm area), then Mimi's and Free Street (suburbs). Left side of the river is Shiny Things and Sutdio 8, right side is Toan's Gym and Club Rubb, these will be the downtown districts. Far right is Goth Manor (forest area), and the other districts. I won't have a better idea of that till I sculpt the world more.

And yes, definitely will be subways, those won't come till closer towards the end, but I do have them planned on where I want them. I will definitely utilize the multipurpose rabbit holes. Like, the Downtown center will most likely have everything there, then each district will have a selection of community lots based on the district styles and needs. The majority of available living spaces will most likely be just the suburbs district and the downtown districts.

Edit: Do you think it is too spread out? I figured it would be a nicer transition between districts if there was more space, but I could condense it more. I'm still adjusting the district areas, and I have to put the new roads down anyway.

I just know sims have bad routing behavior when going to work sometimes and you will probably need to test to see how long it takes for sims to get to their workplaces. If it takes a long time and they are constantly late to work/school, you may need to move areas closer. I understand that this is a work in progress and may be some time before you are actually finished, but keep travel times for sims in the back of your mind while planning so you don't have to make drastic changes down the line.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th May 2020 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
I just know sims have bad routing behavior when going to work sometimes and you will probably need to test to see how long it takes for sims to get to their workplaces. If it takes a long time and they are constantly late to work/school, you may need to move areas closer. I understand that this is a work in progress and may be some time before you are actually finished, but keep travel times for sims in the back of your mind while planning so you don't have to make drastic changes down the line.

That make sense. I haven't done any detailing with the terrain yet for that reason. That'll be what I focus on after I set up the lots for the districts. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 5:27 PM
Can anyone see the images posted or is it just me that sees black boxes with "the image are requesting does not exist or is no longer available" on them?