Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Drivable Cars without NL (Game Add-on) *UPD 28nov2008*

by Numenor Posted 10th Nov 2008 at 1:57 AM - Updated 14th Dec 2009 at 9:25 AM by Numenor : Updated "Cars.package" archive

227 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 201 Feedback Posts, 25 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 10
Test Subject
#51 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 7:56 PM
So have I got this right... I have base game and pets. If I download this mod I will be able to have drivable cars and everything else that goes along with them without any crazy glitches, etc?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 9:12 PM
Installing this add-on (all the three files) you will immediately have 5 drivable cars in your game; then you can add more custom cars following the procedure explained in the firt post.

As for the crazy glitches, you shouldn't have more crazy glitches than the ones usually provided by Maxis

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
#53 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 11:20 PM
Numenor, I just had a thought.

I have DoubleDeluxe, which includes NightLife, so I do not need this mod, but, on behalf of those who do not have NightLife, does one need the original EA/Maxis download for your patches to work, or does your mod include all of the needed parts of theirs?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 11:59 PM
My add-on is an improved version of the Maxis one, that therefore is useless.
If the Maxis "Garage set" has been already downloaded and installed, it should be removed (it will NOT conflict with my add-on, anyway: it's just plainly useless).

Thanks for giving me the chance to clarify

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

#55 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 12:27 AM
You`re welcome.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#56 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 5:13 PM
Thank you sooooo much for this! I don't have nightlife, but i always wanted drivable cars in my game! This is seriously one of the best game mods (or whatever it is called) EVER!!!
Gotta go drive some cars now
Test Subject
#57 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 4:37 PM
honestly wow. Ive been looking for something like this for forever and when i saw that it was infact possible i did the happy dance of joy
imagine my devistation when i discovered that it wouldnt work with university my only ep. im heartbroken
but still it is a truly amazing thing you have done and i thank you for it.

bb
xxx
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 5:40 PM
I'm sorry, but it's absolutely impossible to make it work with UNI or the base game only. However, as I stated in the post, even the cheapest Stuff Pack would allow this add-on to work; so think about buying Family Fun, or Celebration, or anything you can find around for few bucks

Field Researcher
#59 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 7:11 PM Last edited by Canoodle : 12th Feb 2009 at 4:59 AM. Reason: removed image tags
I love you

Problems installing my sims?Use Sims2pack Clean Installer
Special thanks to all custom contents creators.
My sims for you here
My sims 2
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 5:36 PM
Very cool--thank you. I seem to be in a minority of people who don't have Nightlife. I have 2 other later expansions, but am already so over the top w/ custom content that I need to take it easy on my poor sweetie's Mac. (I'm also grateful for the cars that can come with since I can't use SimPE with the Mac.) Thank you so much!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 7:38 PM
Pixie, I'm always amazed when someone confirms that my mods work in the Mac too Thanks for telling me.
As for the cars that you can't edit with SimPE, I've alerted all the major car creators here at MTS2 that they should update their cars; maybe they will, so keep your eyes open

Test Subject
#62 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 11:25 AM
I downloaded Hexameter's horse-drawn carts into my game after getting this mod, but they don't show up. Does anyone else have this problem?

98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't copy & paste this in your siggy.

Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that survived, died, or is living with cancer.
(())
//\\
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 3:38 PM
Uhm, lol, I didn't thought to horses as "cars" But jokes apart, I think it should work if:
- Hexameter's cart has been designed to be a drivable car
- you have modified the package with SimPE as suggested
- you have at least one EP (OFB or newer).

If all the conditions are met, and still the cart doesn't appear in your game let me know, and I will check the cart (please post a link).

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 1:54 AM
I think this is cool. Hey any chance of possibly getting pets without pets next? (if there is a next)
Test Subject
#65 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 5:38 AM Last edited by tokyocentricity : 25th Nov 2008 at 5:40 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something...
Rock on. I envy many Nightlife features, including this one, but with TS3 coming out in February, I'm in no hurry to spend too much more money on TS2, y'know? ;D

I seem to be having a problem, though: I've followed the instructions to a T, double- and triple-checked everything, but I still seem to have missed something. I can now see the cars/vehicles/what-have-you icon in Buy Mode, and the Garage/Driveway icon in Build Mode, but neither are selectable. Any help would be adored. <3

*edit:* Forgot to mention - I'm running Pets and Family Fun on Vista.
Test Subject
#66 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 8:23 AM
driveway???
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 8:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dafoe2029
I think this is cool. Hey any chance of possibly getting pets without pets next? (if there is a next)

Yes, as soon as Maxis releases a sort of "Pets for anyone" patch on the Exchange (which will never happen ) .
Again, I've posted this add-on because Maxis released at the Exchange the "Driveway & Garage set" (that is a sort of "Cars for anyone" patch), otherwise my upload would habe been a serious copyright infringment...

Quote: Originally posted by tokyocentricity
I can now see the cars/vehicles/what-have-you icon in Buy Mode, and the Garage/Driveway icon in Build Mode, but neither are selectable. Any help would be adored.
*edit:* Forgot to mention - I'm running Pets and Family Fun on Vista.

Having Pets, you should already have the Cars and Driveways (empty) categories in the catalog, even without my add-on. By the way, my instructions are related to cars only, but you don't have to modify anything in order to see the garage door and driveway in catalog, so I'm puzzled...
I must ask you an obvious question: is the custom content enabled in your game?

Quote: Originally posted by jor1
driveway???

Yes, the "driveway" is a special piece that comes with this add-on, and allows you to put cars on it (cars can only be placed on driveways).
The add-on provides a main driveway, a driveway extension (needed to build closed garages) and a garage door. All these pieces can be found in the Garage/Driveway section of the Build Mode catalog.

Lab Assistant
#68 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 3:50 PM
This is so cool! I've always wanted to have a driveway at my houses. Thanks!
Test Subject
#69 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Having Pets, you should already have the Cars and Driveways (empty) categories in the catalog, even without my add-on. By the way, my instructions are related to cars only, but you don't have to modify anything in order to see the garage door and driveway in catalog, so I'm puzzled...
I must ask you an obvious question: is the custom content enabled in your game?

Well, to be fair, I'm enough of a space-case that I could have totally missed the empty categories before now - but I'm certain custom content is enabled. That one I couldn't miss.
Test Subject
#70 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 10:13 PM
MY WinRAR is saying that the "stuff" file is corrupt. Is it? Let me know, thanks.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 26th Nov 2008 at 1:15 AM
Wojtek0 - Good point, but you don't have to worry
I admit I was not aware of the AL providing the driveways; now I've checked, and I suspect that basically Maxis added to AL the add-on already released on the Exchange (i.e. a "limited" add-on).
However, I said you don't have to worry because Nightlife, Apartment life, the Exchange add-on and my modified add-on always use the same internal names for the meshes, textures, animations, BHAVs etc. This means that - while it's true that the game must read some duplicates while loading - there are no actual duplicates in game: whenever a second copy of a texture is loaded, the game automatically "discards" the previous one. As a consequence, there is no waste of resources, apart a very minor increase in the game loading time (for "very minor" I mean that you can't really see it).
For example, I have both Nightlife and Apartment life, and therefore *I* have some duplicates, too, but the game doesn't suffer for it.

Instructor
#72 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 8:19 PM
Like many, I've been looking for this hack since forever!!!!
I can't even believe it was possible...I'm awestruck
I see that you enabled woohoo for the all the cars; will this enable woohoo in the restored Freetime car?

22 I will give him the key to the house of David. When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 9:13 PM
I don't think so, but you can try yourself I mean, let your sim try it

Test Subject
#74 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 5:14 PM
So this requires an EP or stuff pack?

What if we only have the base game? I'm kind of confused D:.
Forgive me, I'm a little slow this morning.

I originally had NL but when I had gotten a new computer, someone broke into my house and took it and returned it with a huge crack in the first disc. -.- (really XD).

I love the image you used, so cute. Lol.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 7:16 PM
This mod requires an EP or Stuff pack. It won't work if you have only the base game, or Base+UNI. You need something newer
But here's a hint (I didn't try myself, but it should work...): the Store Edition, downloadable for free from the EA site, is considered a Stuff Pack comparable to Pets; therefore, if you install Store Edition, you should be able to use this mod, and all the drivable cars.

If you are willing to try, please let us know if it works: there are many users that have the Base Game only and may be interested in this inexpensive solution to add drivable cars to their game
I strongly suggest to keep a full backup of the entire (Documents)\EA Games folder, in case you want to uninstall Store Edition...

PS: I'm glad you like the icon I'm not very good at creating graphics, but I find it very funny

Page 3 of 10