Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 7:42 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 2nd Jan 2020 at 10:34 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [RESOLVED] Crashes & pink flashing on specific neighbourhood, subhoods fine - NVIDIA and Windows 10 - useshaders false works?
I'm baffled on this. I load up Oakbrook directly from the main menu and it either crashes (always with generic access violations) or barfs pink flashing everywhere (although when the latter happens, boolprop useshaders false can get rid of it).

This neighbourhood ran perfectly on my old toaster.

Computer specs. (Note that I disconnected my older, ailing hard drive until a replacement arrives.)

Code:
CPU:           AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
               3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 3642 MHz (36.50x99.8)
Motherboard:   ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
BIOS:          0604, 12/08/2018
Chipset:       AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)
Memory:        8192 MBytes @ 1197 MHz, 17-17-17-39
               - 8192 MB PC19200 DDR4 SDRAM - Crucial Technology CT8G4DFS824A.M8FGM
Graphics:      GIGABYTE RTX 2060 WindForce2 OC (GV-N2060WF2OC-6GD)
               NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6144 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive:         WDC WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         WDS250G2X0C-00L350, 244.2 GB, NVMe
Drive:         ASUS DRW-24F1ST   d, DVD+R DL
Sound:         NVIDIA TU106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound:         AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network:       RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Here are various things I've done and tried on a clean, fresh-from-backup, non-corrupted backup:
  • Installed outside of Program Files (so likely not a UAC issue)
  • 4GB patch enabled and working properly
  • Applied Jessa's 'standby memory' fix
  • Tried graphics texture memory at both 4096 and 5980 MB (latter amount listed in dxdiag)
  • Corrected name in video card database to "GeForce RTX 2060"
  • Ran without CC (restored from backup afterwards)
  • Removed all neighbourhood deco with HoodReplace (had pink-flashing anyways)
  • Removed all thumbnail files (nooooo, my BEDDINGS!)
  • Disabled 'threaded optimization' in NVIDIA settings
  • Ran the game with d9vk (crash occurred anyways)

I did find that if I load to a subhood, disable shaders, and then load the main hood, it loads pretty consistently. Unfortunately it makes things uglier.

There's no way I can return to Windows 7 because Microsoft actively blocks Windows Updates for computers with Ryzen processors.

Anything I may have missed?
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2019.12.28 04.16.53.txt (14.8 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-L6OEGDC-config-log.txt (10.3 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: txt  DxDiag.txt (78.1 KB, 6 downloads)

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 11:49 PM
Did some more testing - it does seem to be down to the shaders specifcally.

I disabled shader caching in NVIDIA's control panel, but got the same results.

Unless someone else can figure it out, adding boolprop useShaders false to my userstartup.cheat and re-enabling it when needed is probably my best option.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 29th Dec 2019 at 1:35 AM
I’m away from my gaming computer for the next week so I can’t test this with d9vk. So I’ll try to gather more information.

Do you have a Sims2EP9_d3d file you can upload? It’s d9vk’s log.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Dec 2019 at 1:46 AM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 30th Dec 2019 at 12:12 AM.
Here's one. (Noted that I'm having the same shader issue as with non-D9VK, which seems...odd. I should also note that, to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any mods that affect them.)

EDIT: I wonder who disagreed this post.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2EP9_d3d9.log.txt (6.6 KB, 12 downloads)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Dec 2019 at 9:28 AM
Another update:

I'll have to test it again later to make sure it works more than once, but renaming the save folder and letting the game generate a fresh one might have worked.

I notice that the old userProps.xml had the wrong video card listed under activeDeviceList, which is interesting.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Dec 2019 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Another update:

I'll have to test it again later to make sure it works more than once, but renaming the save folder and letting the game generate a fresh one might have worked.

I notice that the old userProps.xml had the wrong video card listed under activeDeviceList, which is interesting.

It seems to have worked. No crashes, no pink flashing.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2020 at 6:09 AM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 9th Jan 2020 at 11:02 PM.
For any future people.

• It appears the graphic problems and crashing problems were two entirely separate issues, but I thought they were connected.
  • The flashing-magenta issues were mostly caused by an error in the UserProps.xml file. For some reason, the card listed under activeDeviceList was a GeForce 7800 GTX, when my card is actually a GeForce RTX 2060. I believe this issue was caused by running the game on my new computer before instaling the Video Cards.sgr and Graphics Rules.sgr. (EDIT: Alternately, this may have been caused by me copying the entire save folder from my previous computer. I'm not sure which.)
  • The Graphics Rule Maker apparently has its issues with Windows 10. (As well, it listed my video card wrongly in Video Cards.sgr.) I suggest going over to Leefish.nl and downloading the graphics rules appropriate for your card.
  • Editing the Graphics Rule.sgr to set "boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager" to true helped as well. I have a fairly decent card though, so your results might vary.
  • With all of this, I was able to get the game running smoothly on the default DirectX renderer (which is a relief for me, because it seemed a bit overkill to use a damned overclocking tool to take screenshots.)
  • The crashing turned out to be mostly a combination of Windows' 10 handling of standby memory (which was resolved by Jessa's fix) and some issues with various pieces of CC.
  • As well, some of the crashing started happening after I disconnected my now-failing tertiary hard drive. It turns out Windows had a page file on it. Increasing the size of the virtual memory on my other drive helped.
  • Also, some other crashes were a result of accidentally loading my neighbourhood without CC just once. Keep backups, folks!
  • Don't edit Compressorized files in SimPE, at least without uncompressing them first.
  • As well, there were also problems caused by GUID conflicts and some of the meshes in my Custom Lots Material folder. I'm not sure if it was bit rot caused by the files sitting on my now-failing hard drive until relatively recently or something else, but removing that one folder and downloading fresh copies of the CC I wanted to actually keep seems to have resolved all crashing.
  • Although I'm not sure if this had any effect at all, I changed camera mods at some point during troubleshooting. (I'm currently using GunMod's.)

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer.

Test Subject
#8 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 6:39 AM
Default Issues with shaders
Do you know how to fix shaders? Currently I have to use the boolProp useShaders false cheat to be able to play otherwise my sims are discolored, their heads are different color than their bodies, their clothes either look too dark or too bright and its just hideous...I have a GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card on a new laptop I haven't even had for a week yet, any help would be appreciated thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
For any future people.

• It appears the graphic problems and crashing problems were two entirely separate issues, but I thought they were connected.
  • The flashing-magenta issues were mostly caused by an error in the UserProps.xml file. For some reason, the card listed under activeDeviceList was a GeForce 7800 GTX, when my card is actually a GeForce RTX 2060. I believe this issue was caused by running the game on my new computer before instaling the Video Cards.sgr and Graphics Rules.sgr. (EDIT: Alternately, this may have been caused by me copying the entire save folder from my previous computer. I'm not sure which.)
  • The Graphics Rule Maker apparently has its issues with Windows 10. (As well, it listed my video card wrongly in Video Cards.sgr.) I suggest going over to Leefish.nl and downloading the graphics rules appropriate for your card.
  • Editing the Graphics Rule.sgr to set "boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager" to true helped as well. I have a fairly decent card though, so your results might vary.
  • With all of this, I was able to get the game running smoothly on the default DirectX renderer (which is a relief for me, because it seemed a bit overkill to use a damned overclocking tool to take screenshots.)
  • The crashing turned out to be mostly a combination of Windows' 10 handling of standby memory (which was resolved by Jessa's fix) and some issues with various pieces of CC.
  • As well, some of the crashing started happening after I disconnected my now-failing tertiary hard drive. It turns out Windows had a page file on it. Increasing the size of the virtual memory on my other drive helped.
  • Also, some other crashes were a result of accidentally loading my neighbourhood without CC just once. Keep backups, folks!
  • Don't edit Compressorized files in SimPE, at least without uncompressing them first.
  • As well, there were also problems caused by GUID conflicts and some of the meshes in my Custom Lots Material folder. I'm not sure if it was bit rot caused by the files sitting on my now-failing hard drive until relatively recently or something else, but removing that one folder and downloading fresh copies of the CC I wanted to actually keep seems to have resolved all crashing.
  • Although I'm not sure if this had any effect at all, I changed camera mods at some point during troubleshooting. (I'm currently using GunMod's.)

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer.