Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:31 AM
Default Custom Content
I've realized that the only thing that kept me in love with TS2 was the custom content. Clothes, Eyes, Hairs, Homes & Cars.

On a realistic sense, how long do you predict until we see content like this for TS3. I KNOW it only came out yesterday, but these n00b looking Sims are killing me.

How long until my Sims can be beautiful again?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:44 AM
I for one see no problem with the appearance of the sims. But I do hope custom content comes damn soon. This game needs help. Bad.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:46 AM
I totally agree with the OP about the Maxis Sims looking awful. The toddlers are especially ugly. Even if I just had custom Sims, I'd be much much happier!!
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:52 AM
i don't really agree, i still make decent sims without costume content. i couldn't fix the toddlers though. they really are fuglly. i just don't know with sims 3. i see screenshots and they are pretty nice they go with the old looks like 70's or 60's. the girl on one of the posters (with violet dress) looks retroish.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:01 AM
I am ok with the sims so far too...though I only made one, she came out looking a like Paris Hilton by accident...

What I am really jonesing for is PLANTS. And adjustable eyebrows. And my very favorite wood floor texture. And a good brick texture. I've always enjoyed building best and I find this to be the bomb - match all woods (except stairs) match everything! MATCHING SHOES! Matching brick floors!

I miss snapobjectstogridfalse since the new console command doesn't seem to work as well, esp on the window coverings.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:05 AM
What CC can we make out of the box?

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:09 AM
well I remember for TS2.. real custom content didn't really come until University was out.. so maybe 6 months?

Does anyone remember the whole mess with university? The coding was changed or something and all previous cc was like incompatible.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:09 AM
The curtains are really pissing me off too. Seems like almost every single curtain, blind cuts into windows or windows cut into them, but its just annoying, also the bay windows, cant sit anything in them like Sims 2. I really cannot wait until somebody makes some CC curtains/window coverings..
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:27 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath on hairs. Sims, homes, custom patterns, and hacks are already fully doable though. Skins, umm....... Coming soon. *shifty eyes*

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:32 AM
Now's the time that I'm happy...

I won't see screenshots of a entire neighbourhood of Sims that look like models who were attacked by a gnag of bandits wielding only air-brushes and polish...
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:38 AM
If EA can do custom hairs, I'm guessing someone can hack them, too.
Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:31 PM
I haven't got the game yet, I am still not decided. I have huge faith in the modders of the sims community so I know they will have everything under control in no time. By the way well done to every one who has uploaded creations so far. I can't have any of the custom content but I was so pleased to see them.
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:35 PM
guardianpegasus - You'll note I didn't say hairs were impossible... Just... I sure as hell don't want to have to figure all that shit out. They're SO much more complicated than TS2. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Forum Resident
#14 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
guardianpegasus - You'll note I didn't say hairs were impossible... Just... I sure as hell don't want to have to figure all that shit out. They're SO much more complicated than TS2. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Why, HP? Is it possible to mod the hair?

I have read just about every thread there is to read on here, trying to decide whether to buy this game or wait until CC comes out. Some of the stuff sounds great, but the CAS limitations, for me, are dealbreakers. My most favourite thing to do was to make celebrity Sims and not being able to just doesn't thrill me at all.

I don't know if you have had an opportunity to look at the the engine behind the CAS to see if it is tweakable so that the necks are not fat and there are no double chins and the faces can be more streamlined.

I can't figure out why EA would want to ship something that they KNOW would be unappealing to the majority of Simmers. I mean they have eyes and could see the incredible body cc that was out there and how realistic the Sims were.
retired moderator
#15 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:53 PM
Audrey - Possible, eventually, probably. But I sure as hell don't want to. So VERY complicated. Ugghhhh.

There is a limited number of face sliders, but with some practice you can get something halfway decent looking. In time, we may figure out a way to do something about the limited sliders in some way - that is certainly one area I would like to see expanded. But it all takes time. Currently, I'm enjoying the heck out of plinking at all the textures and seeing what needs default replacing.

Theorist
#16 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:03 PM

Oh that's bad news. Custom hair and body meshes are the only CC I really care about making. They were complicated enough to make in Sims 2. *sigh*

Resident wet blanket.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:05 PM
Audrey - Possible, eventually, probably. But I sure as hell don't want to. So VERY complicated. Ugghhhh.

There is a limited number of face sliders, but with some practice you can get something halfway decent looking. In time, we may figure out a way to do something about the limited sliders in some way - that is certainly one area I would like to see expanded. But it all takes time. Currently, I'm enjoying the heck out of plinking at all the textures and seeing what needs default replacing.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like patience is the name of the game and I'll be playing with Sims 2 for a lot longer than I thought. I don't think I can play in a game where my SIMS look like the doughboy and his wife.

I read a post by Warlokk who said he might not even be bothered to recreate his beautiful custom content and that would really be a sad loss.