Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:38 AM
Do you think sims 2 will be put on the back burner like sims 1
Do you think sims 2 will be put on the back burner like sims 1 since sims 3 is out? I personally think people will still play sims 2 and wont be put on the back burner and forgotten as much as sims 1 was since it was such a hit and advancement for the simi world. What do you think?

stop by my personal site here. Now wouldn't that be awesome?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:45 AM
Sims 2 will always have a fanbase, just like sims 1 still has. Sure when a newer sim palying generation finds the game, they probably will start at the newest one, so eventually the sims 2 fanbase will decrease, but I doubt it will ever go to zero.

I personally am now torn between the two games, after only two sessions with sims 3, I find sims 2 way too easy to keep playing, even thou at the same time I want to play it becuase of my families. But for now, I'm sticking with 3, and maybe one day either unistall 2, or just go and play.
Instructor
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:50 AM
nope i don't think so. i still know people playing the sims 1 and i still know some communities that sticks with sim 1, so if sims 1 still sticks to people sims 2 will too.
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:51 AM
I think because Sims2 is so readily customizable, it is completely able to hold its own against Sims3 in terms of beauty. So I think it will remain popular and will still attract custom content submissions. I know, speaking for myself, I have loads of things finished and ready to submit soon. But yes, I have also been enjoying Sims3. It has a great build mode and lots of neat little features and surprises in the gameplay. It's more of a different feel and type of experience and more of an apples and oranges type of difference so far as I can tell in the short time I've been playing it. I "toggle" back and forth between both games. They are both strong, but in different ways.

And if you're into celebrity sims, forget it...for now. There just isn't enough to work with to get the kinds of results we are used to with our Sims2 modding tools.

I just don't know and can't really tell if Sims3 is enough of a leap forward in terms of looks to completely eclipse Sims2. The environment may be, sure, but the sim characters may never be customizable enough for the people who, for example, expect a celebrity sim to look EXACTLY like that celebrity. You know the perfectionist ones who can't bear an eyebrow a pixel out of place?? They might have problems enjoying Sims3 for a long time to come.
Alchemist
#5 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:56 AM
I don't think it will be forgotten as much. But it's already fading into obscurity.
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:58 AM
I think the fanbase for 2 will shrink, but more slowly than 1's did. A lot of people won't really attach fully to 3 until there's more CC and expensions available.

Don't be fooled by the name, I'm a girl.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by summersong86
I think because Sims2 is so readily customizable, it is completely able to hold its own against Sims3 in terms of beauty. So I think it will remain popular and will still attract custom content submissions.

I think so too. EA did a huge mistake in making the simmies so fugly, and then make them (impossible?) to customise, like we can in Sims 2. There are so many people who are horrified by their looks. I think this very well may be the downfall of the game. If EA insist on making them this fugly they could at least make them easily moddable. If they know anything at all about the community, they should know we need to be able to have the simmies look the way we want or we won't play the game, simple as that.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 8:33 AM
I don't think it will ever go as backburner as TS1 did. Given, that game I'm sure still has plenty of people who love it and play it, but as soon as TS2 came out, it was THE focus, not just for its creators, but for us game players. And in my opinion, that is because TS2 was so overtly different from the original game, we could now get up close and personal with them, we could see them go through life stages, we could customize their eyes, their hair, their skin, etc. With TS3, it's different, it has advanced in some ways, but it's not nearly as big of a leap from TS2 as TS2 was from TS1. It's not so innovative at this point that people are saying "omg, where have you been!!!" That's why I think TS2 has quite a bit of life left in it yet. And even if and when we start seeing more CC and hacks and mods for TS3, I don't think it will fall completely off the map.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 8:52 AM
The distance between 1 and 2 is much greater than 2 and 3. The Sims 2 is in no danger right now.

People still play the Sims 1? That's like playing SimCity < 2000 at this stage.