Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2010 at 8:40 PM
Default Is it possible to make objects/furniture smaller?
Hey everyone,

I don't know if this is the right section to put this, but I reckoned this may be the closest one.

I have been wondering about the scaling of furniture and/or objects. I have downloaded giant mushrooms (here on MTS, I believe) and I thought if it was possible to 'scale up/enlarge' objects, is it also possible to 'scale down/shrink' them?

I have a weird (almost obssessive, lol) love for anything small, and just wondered if it *is* possible, how would I go about it? I assume I'd have to extract the object/furniture mesh from TS3 but from there I'm pretty much lost.

Is it possible? And if so, is there any info/tutorials that may help me in this project? I've done a search and have come up with nil...

Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

...Titanium white...
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th May 2010 at 10:21 PM
Alchemist
#3 Old 5th May 2010 at 1:41 AM
Hi Enjoji...what you want to do definitely is possible.

You need to copy the package. Then open that package using S3OC and fix it. Then extract the MLODS and MODL using s3pe. Decompile the MLODs and MODL using the ObjTool. Then import the object into MS and use the scale function to resize. You will need to do that for each MLOD and MODL. You will need to make sure your new object is centered where the old one was for each MLOD and MODL. You will need to assign bones.

Then export the object (each MLOD and MODL) to overwrite the original.

Recompile and reimport. Then test your object in-game.

This should give you an exact but differently sized version of the mushroom. So be sure you don't share it without asking the original creator.

I hope that helps
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th May 2010 at 12:23 PM
Thank you HugeLunatic for the tutorial link (yes, I'm an epic fail at searching) and to you orangemittens for spelling it out for me. I am very grateful to you both, and I will try my hand at this. I won't be resizing the mushroom, but will use a standard TS3 mesh instead - maybe something easy for starters. My vision is to have counters, tables, chairs etc all scaled down in size, but still usable by my smaller Sims - almost like teeny dollhouse furniture. If I'm successful in anything, I will share my creations here. Off I go!!

Many thanks again

...Titanium white...
Alchemist
#5 Old 6th May 2010 at 2:51 AM
You might could do this but you're probably going to have to change slots to have it work. I'd look into the slotting tutorial if I were you.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th May 2010 at 9:13 AM
I thought that it was discovered that you could make slots that could in fact shrink or enlarge any object that was placed in them. I wanna make an OMSP with one of those. It'd be funny to see what happened if you placed a sim in an object shrinking slot. XD
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2010 at 9:18 PM
Thanks for that info, orangemittens - I did have a look here on MTS for the slotting tutorial; I think I found the right one. I'm gonna have a tryout with this all once I pay for Milkshape (my trial version has just run out - boo)..

I also did a search to see if I can find out about the slots you were talking about, ChaosMageX - still searching, cos as HugeLunatic pointed out I fail at my searching skills, lololol... Those slots sound really exciting though :D

...Titanium white...
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 6th May 2010 at 9:43 PM
just a wild thought.
A object scale slider would be cool :D
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th May 2010 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
just a wild thought.
A object scale slider would be cool :D

Exactly - that would be very cool. Actually, to be honest, I got the idea of shrinking furniture, objects etc after your 'scale down' Sim slider on the other thread, lolol - I guess I can say you inspired me. The train of thought was that if Sims can shrink down to that size, it would be nice to have their surroundings - in terms of objects - scale down with them. That way their furniture wouldn't loom over them, and have it not all look out of place. Also fixing the slots on these items would maybe get smaller Sims to sit properly in chairs, use dining tables properly, use the bath properly etc...

I'm waffling and probably not making much sense; I'll be quiet now lolol

...Titanium white...
Alchemist
#10 Old 6th May 2010 at 11:44 PM
An object size slider would be very nice indeed. Think of the possibilities there!

Enjoji, for what you're proposing though I don't think such a slider would be necessary...neither should special kinds of slots. For what you're talking about I think just changing the slot placement should do the trick...this is true at least for surfaces. I haven't tried changing slot placement on objects the Sims actually interact with like chairs, sofas, and etc. It would be interesting to know how that would work.

This would have an application beyond the project you're talking about because people could then create small furniture that was perfectly sized for kid Sims too. I tried to do that for one set I made in Sims 2 but couldn't get it to work out right. Unless the thing was so high the feet were dangling off the ground the Sim wouldn't sit in the right place on it.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 7th May 2010 at 1:34 AM
Yup, similar problems im facing creating a sim in a wheelchair.
I lowered his upperbody and it fits perfectly in the chair.
Also the objects hes getting will stay at the correct spot(in his hands)
But when he sits down he dissapears half into the ground.

Would it be possible to create a normal chair but invisible and with its slot lifted 0.28?
I dont know nothing about object meshing for the sims 3, still have to get starting.
Is it for instance possible to delete the sitting animation a sim uses to get on a chair?
Alchemist
#12 Old 7th May 2010 at 1:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but you're talking about a Sim whose whole body mesh is a seated person...is that right? If I'm not right could you post some pictures of your Sim?
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 7th May 2010 at 3:07 AM Last edited by Base1980 : 7th May 2010 at 3:23 AM.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment
The last screeny is one with the wrong boneassignements, was experimenting..
Its a bottom only, all tops will fit the bottom.
Its far from finished, still needs morphs and the wheelchair kinda wobbles(>?)
due the bones but if invisible chairs can be made(and toilets ) i think i will release it.
It is something much needed(and requested)
I made a slider to lower the tops so it fits the bottom.
Alchemist
#14 Old 8th May 2010 at 1:22 AM
Sorry I missed your post before. This is an interesting idea and I can imagine a lot of people would want it. Making invisible surfaces is possible I think so invisible chairs must be also. But I'm curious about why you want an invisible chair for this project...I apologize but the pictures aren't helping me to understand that part.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#15 Old 8th May 2010 at 2:45 AM Last edited by cmomoney : 8th May 2010 at 3:06 AM.
Making an object invisible is simple. You give your greyscale img a black alpha(or point to an in-game one in the TGIBlock), then in the mtlsrc you change the Alpha MaskThreshold to 176.00. You can use this to make an invisble preset also, like the OMSPs.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 8th May 2010 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Sorry I missed your post before. This is an interesting idea and I can imagine a lot of people would want it. Making invisible surfaces is possible I think so invisible chairs must be also. But I'm curious about why you want an invisible chair for this project...I apologize but the pictures aren't helping me to understand that part.

If he sits he sinks half into the floor as i lowered his upperbody with the slider.
By creating a unvisible chair wich is lifted the same height as the distance i used for the slider he comes back to the original height when a sim normally sits.
Hope this makes sence....
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#17 Old 8th May 2010 at 4:45 AM
What is the distance you need it raised?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 8th May 2010 at 10:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
What is the distance you need it raised?

Isn't there a kinda testing thread on this site were peeps can test your stuff and give feedback?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#19 Old 8th May 2010 at 3:44 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 8th May 2010 at 4:36 PM.
See if this works...

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 8th May 2010 at 3:47 PM
Awsome!!
Thank you very much!!
Ill try to post a screeny when tested.
Alchemist
#21 Old 8th May 2010 at 4:53 PM
Sockpuppet
#22 Old 8th May 2010 at 5:00 PM
Thank you
The animation is still far from perfect so want to know wether people accept this or not.
Ill stop hijacking this thread now...srry
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th May 2010 at 7:55 PM
I'm sure it was okay to hijack the thread for a little bit, lol - it was great to hear other ideas, to see progress and to know I'm not the only one who's into 'wild' experimenting ; I will say that my partner would be seriously happy once you get the wheelchair working - he's spent half of his life in one, and would love to be represented in the game (I turned him into a TS3-er); am looking forward to that when it's ready
I'm at the moment looking at tuts etc, on how to mesh objects and change the slotting on them. I've been searching also for the slot that was mentioned earlier in the thread about changing the size when you place an object on it. I've also been learning how to make worlds, so I can create a tiny one for all these tiny ideas, lol...

...Titanium white...
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#24 Old 8th May 2010 at 9:11 PM
For functioning small furniture(chairs, tables, ect.) the RIG file would have to be adjusted so the animations look right. Kid's furniture would be a good project to test CMX's rig editor. The shrinking slot was discussed briefly here.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th May 2010 at 10:20 PM
Thank you cmomoney - so much to take in, lol.... (wheels in brain creak with rust, lol)

...Titanium white...
Page 1 of 2