Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#176 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Matthewgayle2
I took into account the relevant traits, tried not to delete too many things, even discussed with the customer before beginning renovation. And I couldn't get any great review. I just quit when this Sim asked for a new baby room. And in the end I got a 'squalor" review, even though she was living in one of the best houses in my neighbourhood. I double-checked for any wall/floor not covered.

I had the same problem with the same project. I gave her all the most expensive baby things, used all but 30 simoleons of the budget, and took into account all of her interests. I have no idea what the crazy woman wanted from me. My sim's already an old man and only has about 10 perfect reviews because it took me so long to understand what the game really wanted.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#177 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
Aside from Goth always screaming squallor and never wanting to pay, I've had good succes with this career. My architect is artistic and has high skill level. It seems the higher you go the greater the kudos and bonuses.

The Goth house has a room with uncovered floors in it, with trees and plants growing from the exposed dirt. Sims in that room get a bad moodlet for 'unfinished room' when they are in that room. So I wonder if that is the source of the 'squalor' issue for them.
Scholar
#178 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
The Goth house has a room with uncovered floors in it, with trees and plants growing from the exposed dirt. Sims in that room get a bad moodlet for 'unfinished room' when they are in that room. So I wonder if that is the source of the 'squalor' issue for them.

Really? I'm going to have to look closer at that. It's a big house and I haven't looked at all the rooms. I'll take one more job there and include the area you mentioned in the renovation and see if that stops the cries of "squallor". Though I am okay with thinking the Goths are cheap rich people. LOL.

Thanks for the info.

Sri - for my Sims things went into a very positive mode at about level 4 or 5. You can find some stuff out about the client's taste by just using chat. I had my sim do that on his first few jobs and usually a color would pop up favorable (+++) or non-favorable (---)
Also, Simsa are often glad you come in under budget. One male client always gives ludicrously big budget and when I come in under it says "My wife will be glad about teh money you saved us." So I'm wondering if the budget/decor is applied to traits for all the household members?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#179 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 2:06 AM
This particular career and its attendant issues are currently up for investigation and fixing in AwesomeMod, so stay tuned. Already found a bunch of bugs in it to kill.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#180 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 3:59 AM
Would it be possible for Awesomemod to lower the required number of Great reviews (to fulfill the Sim's lifetime want) from 100 to a more reasonable number? The other professions' lifetime wants are more reasonable and easy to accomplish. I believe the private eye lifetime want requires only 35 cases to be solved, and the Super-hero firefighter lifetime want only has the requirement to save 30 lives. Anywhere between 30 and 50 would make more sense (and be more doable) than 100.
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 7:20 AM
The bug that it's killing me know is the issue with the stuck items in the family inventory. First it was a car. I couldn't pick it up from there, so I sold it but the picture is still there. Then another car, that I could recover because one of my sims used it right away, but the picture is stuck there too. I tried moving the car into the family inventory again, but that way I lose it. I think the next time it's going to get stuck.

And the last one... When I was making my last remodeling all the objects got stuck. My paintings, sculptures, trophies, certificates... The only thing I could pick up was an old newspaper. Ah! and I lost all my (own) money too (???!!!). I had to quit the game without saving...

If I could change households to see if that works, but I've read that if you change households you lose all your great reviews. I only have 11 but I'd rather die than lose them.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#182 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bettybrant
Would it be possible for Awesomemod to lower the required number of Great reviews (to fulfill the Sim's lifetime want) from 100 to a more reasonable number?
That sounds like an XML mod issue, so falls outside the scope of AwesomeMod. Someone else can do it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Forum Resident
#183 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Patry.
If I could change households to see if that works, but I've read that if you change households you lose all your great reviews. I only have 11 but I'd rather die than lose them.

I have Awesomemod, and it doesn't with that... I recommend it.

I'd love to have a mod that changes the number of great reviews needed to 30... I wish I knew enough to do it. My sim's been an architect for 2 1/2 weeks and has one managed 2 great reviews so far....
Test Subject
#184 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 1:53 AM
I am wondering...has anyone found out if the lack of client spawners is a glitch or not? I've heard several people say it is a glitch, yet I've never seen it listed AS a glitch. I, too, started not getting clients on the map at level 3. However, at level 3 it says that you can use your portfolio to convince sims to let you rennovate their homes. I always thought this was just obvious that you had to get the jobs rather than the game generating clients for you to choose from, but now that I see there are quite a few people complaining about this...I'm wondering if it IS a glitch, or if you're responsible for getting your sim clients on their own with the use of their portfolio.
Field Researcher
#185 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 2:13 AM
I had jobs spawn all the way up until level 9. . . and now I don't get them anymore. It's annoying as hell, because I became an architect solely to add cribs to houses (without having to switch households and go in and out and such). . . but now I can only really get jobs from people I come across and befriend (my main hangout spot is Central Park). You can use testingcheats to spawn jobs (shift+click on house) but that sort of takes out the charm.

If you're getting the squalor message, make sure you have enough beds and cribs for the family.

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Test Subject
#186 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 2:53 PM
Darn. I really thought it was just part of the game that you had to GET the clients to hire you. Well, this sucks.

I noticed another issue I was having the other day. I don't know if it goes along with the spawner glitch/bug, but whenever I complete a job where I had to convince the client to hire me, the checklist doesn't show that I've checked off the items they require AFTER I submit it.

What I mean is it will check it off while I'm rennovating, but once I'm back in "live" mode the box shows no checkmarks. The job still gets done, but it's kind of annoying that the box doesn't show the checkmark check-off in "live" mode.
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 12:32 AM
I haven't had a problem with jobs spawning, and I've been level 10 for a long time. The one thing I DID notice was that if you switch families then switch back all the jobs that had spawned for that day are gone and won't respawn. I use Twallan's story progression mod, and I like to switch households using dreamcatcher just to see what the other families are up to now and again, but I have to be careful if I'm playing the architect.

Oh, I did want to add another couple of glitches I've run across. Sometimes, the client just goes and evaluates the renovation then leaves without paying me or anything. Often, I'll have to tell the client the renovation is complete like 5 times before they'll actually come back and talk to me about it.

The other glitch is that I'll call a client to tell them the renovation is complete and they tell me to wait there, but instead of waiting my sim just gets in her car and drives off. I have to keep dragging her back to the lot to re-turn in the renovation.
Test Subject
#188 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 7:46 AM
I either haven't had problems with the job spawning. One time there was no jobs available and I have to move my sim to town centre. I took it near the central park of Twinbrook and the first girl she talked to, hired her right away. She didn't even mingle with her first, she just asked if she was in need of renovation and she was
After that renovation jobs started to spawn normally.
Test Subject
#189 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 2:13 PM
I love this career and I have alegacy going on with this girl who wants to get 100 great reviews. Ok, so she was doing fine, getting all the reviews and then one day, she just stopped getting jobs? She's got to level 9 by doing paintings, but she can not complete a renovation as there is none available. I cheated and used testingcheats and spawned a whole heap of jobs, but every single one of the spawned jobs I do, i get the "squalor" message. I make sure all Sims have beds, and I make sure i don't delete anything but it keeps coming up. I really REALLY want the EA ones back My girl can't complete her wish now. Can anyone help me find a solution to why Ea's ones don't show up?
Field Researcher
#190 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jaydock
I still haven't gotten any great reviews. This is starting to get frustrating! I've been using quite a bit of color/artwork/expensive things. Anybody finding some specific things that really help?
My sim's LW is to get 100 Perfect rooms...pff good luck.

I am facing the same situation. I really want that my Sim achieves her LW and, till now, she had zero great reviews. What a mistery to solv is get what clients expect in a great job!

I have noticed that Sims that like nature and opened spaces also like rooms with lots of windows in it.

My Sim is in the 6th lvl and I am finding this carreer so frustrating! I am doing every little thing you guys put here and, till now, clients just give good or ok reviews to my Sim...

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. (Oscar Wilde)
Top Secret Researcher
#191 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 8:48 AM
Also, don't forget lights.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Lab Assistant
#192 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 5:22 PM Last edited by hatosan : 12th Aug 2010 at 5:35 PM.
If you got into a situation where your client does not satisfied with the result or had asked you to redo the renovation, just ditch it. Why? Due to the game bug.
Read this: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Architecture
One in particular was the Rackets. 4 Rackets in the house, but only 3 rooms with beds. I was wondering where was the other Racket had to sleep and I got the job Man Cave and it has answered the question. Grumpy Racket blow it fuses when I put everything in order but keep nagging saying where he should sleep tonight. After scratching my not so itchy head and after 3 tries and yet he complained, I looked for some answers and Sim Wikia stated it clearly. Gosh. The Racket house was so small (I'm playing Twinbrook) and there were no way to expand it left, right except for 5 tiles left at the backyard, that leaves me with 4 tiles to utilized. Forget about the basement, the house was totally customized and and the foundation was built slightly higher than usual. And so does the roof, I couldn't believed myself when I thought I could solve the problem by building 1 additional room but I encountered somewhat half wall in between the 2nd floor and the roof which is impossible to build. How did they managed to put that? I could just delete it but I would like to keep it as is.

I had encounter so many situation where my client had refused or totally dissatisfied with the renovation, what I did was I just ditched the project and proceed with another which I feel I might get lucky of getting great reviews. It worked. And another thing, Error Code 12 may appear and screwed all of those great renovation and sometimes I forgot to save my game due to extending gameplay without frequent saving. Perhaps too many sims (they generated just like rabbits) might be the factor or to many objects in my world. I don't know.

To fix the problem, I key in "testingcheats" and what I did was I click the ground and go into buy mode and delete all of new objects after renovation (of course after I received thumbs up, great reviews and happy client paid in simeleons). If you use like Awesome mod or NRAAS Super Computer (I'm using NRAAS SC), just switch to "make active sims" and place back their previous original objects without sacrificing your world, and no more Error Code 12 (should you encounter during renovating). Make sure before you renovate, go into buy mode and place the original objects into your clients family inventory.

I'm not sure if anyone notice this, but you can get promoted fast enough if you can get client during weekends. Sometimes I can get as much as 3-4 clients but 3 is the max and I can only complete 3 jobs a day during weekend. Traits such as Charismatic, Schmoozer and perhaps Friendly might help a lot to get potential client and close the deal. It's not that hard, just time consuming. Compared to weekdays, actually there are no time limit, you can begin as early as 7am and ends before 12am. With a bit help from "make all happy" and it's your call. That was how I got promoted so fast plus 4 awards, including the town key.

What a relief. And Good luck.

Ps:
Step 1:
Do measurements
Talk to clients about renovation
Save your game
Step 2:
Do your interview!
Save your game again
Step 3:
Renovate
Save your game again
Step 4a:
See your clients face in awe for your wonderful renovation
Step 4b:
See your clients face in disgust! Bad day for you!
Receive Simeleon and proceed to next client (or just run away and never look back)
If you received Step 4b, please proceed to Step 3.
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 4:23 PM
I tried this profession out, but Im too much of a perfectionist to be successful (ie - took me 20+ hrs to build 1 mansion) my first few jobs were taking hours to complete cause I had to get the colors right, had to get the flooring right, had to get this nad that right...after reading this thread and realzing sims are both color and fashion blind, maybe I'll try it again...whats the final perk of a lev 10 designer? improved draft table or cool emote or something?
Lab Assistant
#194 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MapDark
God .. i don't know what I'm doing wrong , but that first job was to redesign someone's bathroom and he kept complaining he wouldn't live in such SQUALOR and i was like WTF? I totally redesigned the room with expensive stuff and even added some plants to make it look good and he still complains.

When a Sim kept complaining about "Squalor", then most probably something is missing in the house or the lot have more Sims than more beds. See what is missing, normally I'll check for how many Sims in the lot and and how many beds available. If it balanced, check the bathroom for missing objects like shower or bathtub. 1 particular house has given me enough pain in the a**. So every time I got a job with the house (not the household), I just dump it. Is this double-storey white house somewhere near the library or the gym?
Lab Assistant
#195 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Exyll
I tried this profession out, but Im too much of a perfectionist to be successful (ie - took me 20+ hrs to build 1 mansion) my first few jobs were taking hours to complete cause I had to get the colors right, had to get the flooring right, had to get this nad that right...after reading this thread and realzing sims are both color and fashion blind, maybe I'll try it again...whats the final perk of a lev 10 designer? improved draft table or cool emote or something?

Dictator of Design. The stipend is not much §2,480/week but you'll get additional bonus of §1000 after completing a renovation. Let say the renovation costs around §1500 but if the client satisfied and thinks the renovation is great, you'll get §1000 bonus.

I suggest that you remove the traits just for the profession. I don't know, just a suggestion. You can check with sims wikia here and I don't see any Perfectionist:
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Architecture

And if your sim retired, you will get retirement fee of §20,220 daily at 12pm and not weekly as long you are still in the same neighborhood.
If you travel, you won't get any.

For me, I'm done with the Profession and enjoying the daily retirement fees, and 5 awards woohoo! Thank god for that.
Test Subject
#196 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 5:29 AM Last edited by SIMpleton22 : 20th Oct 2010 at 5:31 AM. Reason: typo
Default The perfect architect. Well..almost
I'm also having the "squalor" review. My sim played this profession till level 10 in twinnybrook and i moved her to Riverdale where she had to start again. I never got the "squalor" review even once, in TB. Now its all i get in Riverdale. I figured out early in the game that sims ARE color blind and don't see patterns either. They can however tell an expensive item from a cheap one. I try to avoid renovating with modded items and usually only stick to E.A made items. why?
Because the modded items while they look great, are usually meshed from already existing E.A items. If it looks fantastic but was a mesh of a cheap E.A item, the sim is still going to recognize it as the original mesh.
I also found out that no matter how hard i tried (at level 1-5) I reaally couldn't "wow" the sims and get great reviews. Alot of times i would go above and and beyond and still get a "good but not amazing" review. By the time I was at level 10 i was going straight to the point, not adding perks or anything and was getting "great!" reviews. I wasn't even painting the room or changing the floors!
It all has to do with the amount of experience your architect has accumulated in the game. And be very careful about the placement of objects so you dont get the "cluttered" review and I think i made more money in this profession than any other sim i've EVER played. try over 100,000 in 3 weeks! happy simming.
Field Researcher
#197 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 10:14 PM
Right well my game is being super annoying! I have had the same problem as some of those above whereby no jobs are spawned. I had a sim when I first moved my family to Twinbrook who did the whole architecture career with no hitch but recently I had another sim who tried it and after her first pregnancy the "________ has jobs available" just cut out. I've tried everything, I've ran the game vanilla, I've had her rejoin the career, I've switched family but it never worked. Does anybody know if this issue has been resolved, or even what coulld be causing it?
Page 8 of 8