Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#251 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ele360
I would say more accurately that the reason why game companies are reluctant to make games that specifically cater towards females is because even though females may eventually grow to like the game, and purchase it. Inevitably, the game becomes subject to being set aside as a "girl game". As if to say, every women in the world could like the game, but at the end of the day it will always be looked at as the best "girl game". It is sad, but unfortunately true. At least for the moment, maybe one day things will change.

I think that's many because game companies see it as more likely that a girl will buy Gears of War than it is likely that a guy will buy Barbie Dream Adventure.

Back from the dead. Even though nobody cares.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#252 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 5:50 AM
Lute, you just hit the nail on the head...MEN think we play Barbie Dream Adventure!

I am sorry, I never play that. I am a mature adult with adult children. Why would I play Barbie Dream House? I also have never bought a game similar to Gears of War and am more likely to buy Barbie Dream House for my younger daughter than buy Gears of War for my son. Many women my age play games. We play MMOs, we play casual games, we play simulations, and yes, some of us play violent games. But your explanation only makes sense if all females who play games are 7 years old. Otherwise, it makes no sense at all. It only ridicules grown mature women gamers. And this is why game companies do not pay attention to the growing and really ignored female gamer population, even though studies show that the fastest growing body of gamers are female gamers over 35! I know you didn't mean to ridicule women...but really, not all gamers are young. I know many grown men who play video games and the same is true of women.

The Sims franchise appeals overwhelmingly to women and it is one of the games that sells more to women then men. That doesn't mean men do not play it, but I don't think I have bought a Sim game or EP once at my local game stores without someone saying "my mom plays that...or my aunt...or my sister". Many tough 'Gears of War' gamers probably think of The Sims as a 'girl's game'. Okay..so if The Sims games have been so popular, why not more 'girl's games'? They seem to sell pretty well! And they certainly are not Barbie..well maybe.
Lab Assistant
#253 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by van Dorn
I don't know if anybody posted the english trailer. But it can be found and confirms UNICORNS!!!!

Yeah... We already kind of know that... Since about a week ago...
Theorist
#254 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
but really, not all gamers are young. I know many grown men who play video games and the same is true of women.

You are correct, that not ALL gamers are young but I don't know if you've played PSN, or XBOX live for games such as COD and Halo, but those lines are full of may I say it, 9-12 year olds. And there is most likely a greater count of younger people who are more avid with gaming..And youtube is just one of the many resources that can also prove that.. Then again, I must say that sometimes things get flip flopped, games that are moreso aimed at children, such as RCT3, or any tycoon game at that, tend to appeal to the older age group and not so much the younger age group until they actually play it. And when I was younger that was sorta my case, I've always loved coasters and thought how cool it would be to design my own park. And the day I got my Kellog's Rollercoaster Game was the day that made my life complete. And after having it blow up my old desktop it was time for me to expand my imagination and thus I bought RCT2 and not too long, RCT3, and here I am now, after absolutely falling in love with EA's staged ads, I'm playing Sims 3. And sometimes I find it a tad bit creeper when I see a 30 year old on XBOX Live cursing at us because we just nuked them o.o but I know, I know everyone still has their childish spirit!
Top Secret Researcher
#255 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 5:00 PM
Creepy? Hmm..you know, those 30 year olds were playing games when you were in diapers! LOL It has nothing to do with being a child and in fact, most of the games out there are created to appeal to the 30 year olds..which is really quite young. Who do you think has the money to buy a lot of games and console stations?

And I was specifically talking about PC games, not consoles. My kids have a Wii which they rarely use and a PS2. They want more, but when I look at the games out there for X-box and PS3, I just can't justify buying them one so they can have one more game pretty much like all the others..and I won't buy my kids shooters and mature rated games. I don't see most console video games created for 9-12 year olds, sorry.

We have an 11 year old kid in our tabletop rpg group and he disturbs me. My son (who is a young adult) knows this kid and tells me he plays very violent games. The things that come of this kid's mouth is simply not what an 11 year old should be talking about..."Give me the satisfaction of seeing him bleed out".....sorry, that is not a good thing. Video games are so action packed that this kid cannot sit still and actually play our tabletop games without disrupting everything, yelling out, thinking only of the battle, and never the actual mission. Very odd. If my kids acted like that, they would never play another video game again! LOL

BTW, this has gotten way off subject. I wonder if there is a better place to discuss it.
Scholar
#256 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Creepy? Hmm..you know, those 30 year olds were playing games when you were in diapers! LOL It has nothing to do with being a child and in fact, most of the games out there are created to appeal to the 30 year olds..which is really quite young.

Yeah, and seriously... We're not the least bit worried about 9 -12 year olds playing violent M rated games online, but somebody who is 30 years old shouldn't be playing them because that's creepy?

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#257 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
Yeah, and seriously... We're not the least bit worried about 9 -12 year olds playing violent M rated games online, but somebody who is 30 years old shouldn't be playing them because that's creepy?

Ditto!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#258 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 4:18 PM
Thanks to a trailer and a few gameplay videos, we now have confirmed unicorns. They are customisable and can start as well as extinguish fires. There are most likely other abilities as well.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Page 11 of 11