Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 12:58 PM
Default Snow day madness
I wonder if this happens to anyone else...

So, in my game, every single winter day is a snow day! I mean, this is beyond insane, my sim couldn't go to school EVER while in child stage, because every freakin' day was declared a snow day. It resulted in grade C of course and a randomized trait when growing up.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it, maybe a mod?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 1:14 PM
It's the opposite for me. No matter how much it snows my sims never get a day off school.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Instructor
#3 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RayPeterCarl
I wonder if this happens to anyone else...

So, in my game, every single winter day is a snow day! I mean, this is beyond insane, my sim couldn't go to school EVER while in child stage, because every freakin' day was declared a snow day. It resulted in grade C of course and a randomized trait when growing up.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it, maybe a mod?

Yes! This happens in my game so much I decided to shorten winter because of it. My sims son's had a snow day, then another, then another and then a leisure day so in their entire childhood he went to school I think once.

I know where you're coming from!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 4:50 PM
My niece's sims haven't been to school for 5 straight sim days because it has snowed heavily all winter. Joked that sims don't get a summer vacation, they vacation in the winter.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#5 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 4:59 PM
You can change the weather.
control+c+shift > testingcheatsenabled true > shift+click ground > Seasons > Change weather...
Or you could always disable snow if you want. But where's the fun in that? .-.

I haven't had this happen to me since I literally just got my game to start working again last night. XD We'll see.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 5:15 PM
Well, I wish there was a mod which would get rid of these stupid snow days.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 7:07 PM
My teenage Sim had 3 snow days in a row before finally getting to go back to school on Friday of that week. I was beginning to wonder if she would be out of school until Spring came. Luckily she was already an A+ student so the days off didn't impact her grades.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 9:31 PM
I wonder if it is possible to lower the frequency/intensity of the snow fall rather than disable it permanently. I know rainfall can be changed (via a tweak) so maybe snowfall as well.
Instructor
#9 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I wonder if it is possible to lower the frequency/intensity of the snow fall rather than disable it permanently. I know rainfall can be changed (via a tweak) so maybe snowfall as well.

I agree. However, my Winter eventually turned into Spring and it was still frosting and snowing four days in, though it would thaw at times. It wasn't a heavy snow - or deep - at all, yet my kids got two more snow days in Spring.

My Lord, if only I could have had this happen when I was in school!
Theorist
#10 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 10:11 PM
I'm not gonna lie but technically speaking that is pretty realistic especially here on the Mid-Atlantic because back in 2011 when we got Snowmageddon we had like 2 weeks off for snow. :P
Instructor
#11 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
I'm not gonna lie but technically speaking that is pretty realistic especially here on the Mid-Atlantic because back in 2011 when we got Snowmageddon we had like 2 weeks off for snow. :P

I'm a Floridian, born and raised. What's snow?

Seriously though, not counting T.V., I have seen it once in my life. At the time I was nine and that was more than enough. My parents were raised up north and they don't like it at all. My father said it was pretty if your inside your house by the fireplace or looking out a window, but he said a lot of southeners don't understand all the hassels with it - driving to work, water damage, shoveling, chains on the tires, ice, etc. Then, of course it turns to slush and mud.

I think I'll stick to my Florida winter's. And the sims, of course. Let them suffer!
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 11:54 PM
Growing up near Chicago we often had days off for snow and it was not uncommon to get 3 or 4 days off in a row...plus sometimes days for extreme cold. Once at my university we had a week off for below zero temps! Living in Florida now we sometimes get a day or two off for hurricanes but no snow, of course. So not so unrealistic but it shouldn't be every winter season. Sometimes we had no days off of school because it didn't snow very much. Now, we did often get heavy snows in Spring. April was not uncommon at all.

Yeah, I don't miss the hassle and mess, but I do miss the lovely soft days when the snow made the whole world seem quiet and muffled. It was quite beautiful in spite of the hassle. I guess after 20 years in Florida I wouldn't mind a snowy winter again.

I do hope we can figure out how to tweak the snowfalls though because my sims don't live long enough to miss school every day!
Instructor
#13 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 12:50 AM
I was living in Ohio for the blizzard of '78-'79, we got a week or so out of school. I lived in Southern California where you didn't get days off except for Student Free Days and Holidays. I was raised in Oregon were you went to school unless you literally got snowed into your house. Three feet of snow? You had to go to school. I now live in Indiana where if there's an inch and a half expected, the schools close and everyone freaks out. I mean, seriously. Anyway, I haven't had any children yet in my games, so I haven't experienced this bug.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:03 AM
I was raised in northwest Indiana where the norm in winter was to get 5 or 6 inches of snow. No big deal! Out of all the days I was in school from 1968 to 1980, we were out for snow days 3 times, one being during the snow of 1979. If the radio didn't announce our school out, we were kicked out the door. Some areas that was south and west of us got snow days, we didn't. Didn't mind much. Hated going to school into the summer making up the days.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I was raised in northwest Indiana where the norm in winter was to get 5 or 6 inches of snow. No big deal! Out of all the days I was in school from 1968 to 1980, we were out for snow days 3 times, one being during the snow of 1979. If the radio didn't announce our school out, we were kicked out the door. Some areas that was south and west of us got snow days, we didn't. Didn't mind much. Hated going to school into the summer making up the days.

In my last year of school (when I lived in the UK) we had one day with a fair amount of snow - lots of schools shut but mine didn't. In fact only about half the students actually got in as lots of roads were shut, so the next year they did shut the school for snow - only I'd already left and uni certainly didn't believe in giving us time off for snow!

Here, there's never enough snow to shut schools, but we used to (and I assume kids still do) get the afternoon off for hot weather, so that you weren't going home at 3pm when it was hottest.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 1:41 PM
lol, the UK just cannot cope with more than an inch or two of snow it's ridiculous! We never got time off for hot weather though

I can remember only getting sent home once or twice from school for snow but I live in a bit of a valley so the weather tends to have to be really bad for it to affect my city but I remember a lot of teachers who lived out in the countryside had problems getting in and so we didn't really have proper lessons when it snowed, they tended to let us watch dvds instead! lol

I agree with a mod that would alter the frequency of heavy snow - i've just played my first winter in game and all seven days were heavy snow which is a bit much really, I only have my children on 7 days before they age to teens so I would either have to homeschool them using twallens mod (which would mean them leaving regular school and starting from scratch) or hope for the best
Scholar
#17 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976
I'm a Floridian, born and raised. What's snow?

Same here. But, one morning when I was still in school (won't say how long ago that was) we got enough snow to barely cover the ground. Not only was school closed but government offices closed!

Once the Sun reached 9am it melted away so fast ya didn't even know the stuff had fallen. But at least I got to enjoy one snow day off from school in my lifetime!
Instructor
#18 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
Same here. But, one morning when I was still in school (won't say how long ago that was) we got enough snow to barely cover the ground. Not only was school closed but government offices closed!

Once the Sun reached 9am it melted away so fast ya didn't even know the stuff had fallen. But at least I got to enjoy one snow day off from school in my lifetime!

I remember! It did snow here a couple of times but not enough to accumulate. Once when I was a kid and again many years ago. I remember when I came home from school the first time and waiting for my mother to come home from work. A bridge shaped like and arc near our house had completely iced over and she was talking about how there were firetrucks/firemen/paramedics there because people were sliding down it in their cars and hitting other people.

She made it home without a scratch, thank the Lord.

And yeah, the world seems to stop here if we get snow. I don't think most Floridians can handle it!
Scholar
#19 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfsbayne
lol, the UK just cannot cope with more than an inch or two of snow it's ridiculous! We never got time off for hot weather though

I can remember only getting sent home once or twice from school for snow but I live in a bit of a valley so the weather tends to have to be really bad for it to affect my city but I remember a lot of teachers who lived out in the countryside had problems getting in and so we didn't really have proper lessons when it snowed, they tended to let us watch dvds instead! lol

haha same, but i was lucky in high school (year 10/11) because the school was on top of a hill and most of the teachers lived in surrounding villiages, making it impossible to get in! haha.

i remember most times it has snowed in my life has been autumn or spring though, it pretty much neer snows in winter in the uk! infact, this year (march maybe?) one day in scotland it was snowing and kids were off school, the next they were all on the beach getting a tan!

i wonder if id be able to change what weather came in each season to be more like the middle of england where i live...

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfsbayne

Speak for yourself! Up in the northwest of Scotland we get quite a bit of snow. At one point last year we had about a foot of snow and were continuing fine when it started snowing in London. Only a fine dusting of snow and the flights were cancelled and th city shut down! Everyone up here was laughing as we were having to shovel snow to get out!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by allanmad
Speak for yourself! Up in the northwest of Scotland we get quite a bit of snow. At one point last year we had about a foot of snow and were continuing fine when it started snowing in London. Only a fine dusting of snow and the flights were cancelled and th city shut down! Everyone up here was laughing as we were having to shovel snow to get out!

I do speak for myself - my family are from the north so I do know the difference thanks! That was my point - that a fine dusting of snow in some areas can shut places down compared to places that frequently get inches and feet of snow and carry on as usual! But two years ago when we had that bad snow before xmas virtually every airport was shut, there wasn't enough grit to grit the roads in most of the country, cars were stranded on the motorways for hours, etc, etc yet most of the world were laughing at us.

gemly_teddie - you must live near me, im in the middle too :-)
Field Researcher
#22 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:33 PM
My sim's kids have a snow day like once a week. I find it weird since I live in Canada and have never had a snow day even if it's up to our waists, lol. We trudged through it in ski pants and boots.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976
And yeah, the world seems to stop here if we get snow. I don't think most Floridians can handle it!

You are right! Met with some of our homeschooling moms two weeks ago and it was in the high 60's in the morning. We were sitting out side and one of the moms had on a heavy winter coat! I guess a wee bit of my hearty Illinois blood still exists because I wore only a sweater. I will admit that as much as I miss the winters, I am pretty sure I would be complaining the entire time if I went back. Must be why hubby has delayed finding a job back up there. LOL At the moment, it is absolutely lovely here in Florida and we are heading for a vacation to the beach next month...so shouldn't be complaining now, huh?
One Minute Ninja'd
#24 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 3:50 PM
The most fun us Northerners have in winter is watching videos of Southerners trying to drive in the rare snow storm they get. Having driven through, and lived to tell about, a fair number of blizzards (yes, the NY area does get some occasional blizzards), it's always fun to see the havoc that an inch of snow can cause.
Instructor
#25 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
You are right! Met with some of our homeschooling moms two weeks ago and it was in the high 60's in the morning. We were sitting out side and one of the moms had on a heavy winter coat! I guess a wee bit of my hearty Illinois blood still exists because I wore only a sweater. I will admit that as much as I miss the winters, I am pretty sure I would be complaining the entire time if I went back. Must be why hubby has delayed finding a job back up there. LOL At the moment, it is absolutely lovely here in Florida and we are heading for a vacation to the beach next month...so shouldn't be complaining now, huh?

So true! It is absolutely beautiful here right now. The temperatures are perfect. I thought about moving to Michigan once but decided against it. The summers here can be brutal and I have, myself, been without electricity for days and even a week once due to the hurricanes, but I'm so used to it!
Page 1 of 3