Replies: 126 (Who?), Viewed: 3384 times.
Page 6 of 6
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 4:52 PM
An administrative district (Landkreis) consists of several municipalities (Gemeinden). A municipality consists of several localities/built-up areas. Usually there is one town that has some administrative buildings, schools, shops etc. and several villages that hardly have such buildings. Officially, the villages are not even called villages, but "Ortsteile". When writing a letter, you can write the name of the town or village on the envelop - it does not make a difference. Each street name may only be used once per Gemeinde/postal code area so that each address is unambiguous. Therefore, Veronaville as a small village would not have a street called "Hauptstraße" because that name would be reserved for the main street of the town.
I know a few exceptions where municipalities only consist of villages without a town, but that is much less frequent than having a town. My home administrative district e.g. consists of about 25 municipalities and about 10 of these municipalities include a town, about 15 municipalities are so small that they are associated ("Verwaltungsgemeinschaft") with other, bigger municipalities and use their schools and parts of their administration and one municipality consisting just of villages (the biggest village is referred to as "Hauptort" on Wikipedia), but big enough to have a school.

Cities and bigger towns usually form an administrative unit of their own and are not part of a Landkreis. The term Großstadt (> 100 k inhabitants) is mainly used in statistical contexts. In everyday life, the term Stadt is used for all towns and cities. For smaller and medium-sized towns that are part of a Landkreis, it does not make a real difference whether they are called towns because the municipality is more important, but towns usually are proud to be towns and use that term when they describe themselves on their websites etc. In some German regions (not RLP), there even is another type of locality called "Markt". These localities never received town privileges, but they received the right to host markets. And even these localities usually are so proud of their status that they mention it and some even have included the word "Markt" as part of the placename.

Town privileges in Germany are not tied to the number of inhabitants either. The smallest town has about 300 inhabitants and the biggest municipality without a town has about 42 k inhabitants (the municipality consists of 19 separate localities/built-up areas is is very close to Hamburg). However, I assume that rulers in Germany were more open to granting town privileges due to the fact that there were so many states and domains existing in parallel. Villages were not really able to defend themselves while towns with a town wall had better chances and the inhabitants might have been more motivated to fight because they had more to lose in case of a defeat.

Density: I think I know what you mean. I know some towns with 10 k inhabitants that feel bigger than other towns with 30 k inhabitants, especially if the town center of the town with less inhabitants still has many old buildings. There are limits to this effect, however, because in a town with e.g. 70 k inhabitants, most buildings have more floors and you will have several high-rise buildings. And most towns of that size had more damage caused by the war and newer buildings as replacements so that the atmosphere is completely different.

Summerdream mansion:
Plants: I would look for plants that look like they are not from this world or the kind of plants that you could hallucinate after using the bubble blower for too long. Maybe look for some plants in unusual colors (blue or red) and use one color as main color for the garden with just a few highlights in other colors.
Tiles: I would use a similar or matching color for the tiles in the garden. I would use a bright color, but plain tiles without patterns.
Fence: As you plan to have a lush garden, my first idea is a wall instead of a fence. The wall should be of natural stones and could be covered with vine branches (RLP is a wine region) or ivy.
This also could work with a high fence and for a high fence you usually have wrought-iron for stability reasons. As the Summerdream family would not have a "normal" fence, I think that such a fence should have a non-metallic color and lots of "unneccessary" design details. Maybe something that would match this door or even more adorned: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/1...d56325830c9.jpg
If you want a more natural material, a picket fence also would be possible. The laths should not have a regular shape and should have slightly different heights. You can google for "Märchenzaun" to see some examples although these fences already look to regular because they were produced by companies.

Party rooms: Not deco suggestions, but I think that you should add the bubble blower somewhere. Maybe some functional alcohol CC (like the beer keg) also would be an option because in the play, the elves create chaos and make people fall in love. Of course, alcohol is not the same as magic, but the outcomes might be comparable.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#127 Old Yesterday at 11:19 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I imagine that Titania makes weird magical drinks and that she and Oberon have a similar role as the Matchmaker NPCs (btw, I've downloaded default replacement for the NPC to give a Witch look, but I can always give them elven ears with Plastic Surgery). I think that Sims 1 retro kitsch would be a good inspiration source for their party room interiors

Photo dump of the WIPs: https://imgur.com/a/yBjwWl9

Capp mansion
Any suggestions for the room layout on the 1st floor? I feel that Tybalt's room takes up too much space because I want to create space for the former bedroom of Caliban and Cordula.
Would the Baroque wall and ceiling decor also suit in a half-timbered mansion, whether or not only placed on the ground floor? And did you also mean you think that Baroque styled furniture would suit them?
Would they place the piano and/or computer desk in the living room or rather in the separate hobby room?
Which furniture sets by Adele do you find the most fitting for them?

CAS family
Any deco suggestions for the dining room? I want to get it ready to "shooting" a scene in this room.

Monty Ranch
If I can't find any good Roman-style stone ceilings, what other kind of ceiling would also fit?
Which room would Romeo most likely utilize to hang out with (feud-neutral) friends?
Which room on the 1st floor is most fitted to be a bathroom? I want it to place as much as possible on top of the guest toilet.
Narrow rooms on the ground and the 1st floor: I want to utilize them as storage rooms for old and seasonal objects, object mods and inventories. Any additional ideas, in case I have spare rooms left?
If there's enough space in a house, would the computer desk rather be placed in a separate study room than the living room? And would they have a separate gaming room?
Would all the rooms on the ground floor (incl bedrooms) have stone floors? And how likely do the rooms on the 1st floor all have parquet floors, aside from the bathroom?
For the kitchen/dining room, would antique dining furniture be fitting for them, or rather retro 70s/80s stuff?

Resources
Do you know by chance a website where they showcase portrait photographs from different angles? I'm looking for more facial inspiration for my Sims face edits, especially middle-aged and elder ones. I've already checked those blended portraits for each country, but that research is fairly old. And I also checked a few Humans of [RLP city] Facebook pages.
For building new lots: Can you share with me some pictures of oldish detached non-Fachwerkhäuser that would suit well in an Ortschaft kind of village?

Storytelling
When you played Veronaville, which families have you given pets?

What were common destinations for 8th and 9th-grade school trips? How many times a year do they usually organize it? Do most domestic/nearby trips last only one day, or would they stay there during the entire workwerk? Is a trip usually hosted for a single grade, or even only for a few classes of a certain grade?
Page 6 of 6