Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 642 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 7:21 PM
anyone used mods by simler 90?
Been looking at some of the good mods made by Simler 90 that can be seen here: https://modthesims.info/downloads/all/?u=10023119
I heard they're romantic standards mod is supposed to be really good, just want to know those who actually use his mod and what its like in-game

JESSE!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 2:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousedroidz21
Been looking at some of the good mods made by Simler 90 that can be seen here: https://modthesims.info/downloads/all/?u=10023119
I heard they're romantic standards mod is supposed to be really good, just want to know those who actually use his mod and what its like in-game


Best thing to do is make a testing hood and test mods out in it to see if you like it.
What some players like may not be for you.

Just make sure not to load any other hood until you figure out if you want to keep it or not.
To make it as safe as possible make a complete copy of Sims 2 folder in My Docs and play it somewhere else then test out new mods in a testing hood first.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#3 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 5:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousedroidz21
Been looking at some of the good mods made by Simler 90 that can be seen here: https://modthesims.info/downloads/all/?u=10023119
I heard they're romantic standards mod is supposed to be really good, just want to know those who actually use his mod and what its like in-game


I use Romantic Standards and I really enjoy it! Romance is certainly more of a challenge now. I actually have to have my sims go on multiple dates without moving too quickly during them so it's been fun with the added challenge. Setting the mood really helps now too. For example, doing a dinner date next to a warm crackling fire with a violinist playing in the background really does wonders for getting other sims in the mood!

I also recommend looking into Midgethetree's version of Romantic Standards while you're testing out a new mod in a test hood. Hers can be found here and is worth looking into while you're looking for romance mods. Hers is still in BETA testing though so keep that in mind when considering it.

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 1:22 PM
Interesting, Ifria. I've been using simler90's mod for quite some time - the main thing I like is that a nonchalant flirts between besties doesn't immediately result in eternal undying love.

Does Midgethetree's mod require the trait system or is it optional? I still haven't looked into getting the traits.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 1:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka93
Best thing to do is make a testing hood and test mods out in it to see if you like it.
What some players like may not be for you.

Just make sure not to load any other hood until you figure out if you want to keep it or not.
To make it as safe as possible make a complete copy of Sims 2 folder in My Docs and play it somewhere else then test out new mods in a testing hood first.

Is it safe to test it first and if I don't like it remove it from the downloads folder (without copying the folder)? this won't mess anything up will it?

JESSE!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 1:54 PM
It's recommended that you back up before testing new mods. Some may even have special instructions for uninstallation, so it may be easier to start in a fresh, throwaway save, than messing with a neighborhood you care about.
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 7:45 PM
Funny this thread was made as I have been wanting to try his romantic mod out for a few days now but the amount of updates to it made me unsure as well as the the latest comments talking about it becoming over complicated. I have been enjoying simlers other mods lately so I’m still on the fence.

I guess I really should get on making a test hood cuz taking mods in and out while playing main hood can lead to annoying resets.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 9:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousedroidz21
Is it safe to test it first and if I don't like it remove it from the downloads folder (without copying the folder)? this won't mess anything up will it?


As long as you use a hood you don't care for like a testing hood, once done with testing and you don't want the mod you can then delete it.

Just make sure you don't open any hoods you care about with mods you are testing or you will have to leave them in or corrupt the hood.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka93
Just make sure you don't open any hoods you care about with mods you are testing or you will have to leave them in or corrupt the hood.
Surely that doesn't apply to all mods, does it? I thought it only applied to a few mods -- ones that add custom memories, or hidden NPCs cloned from the radio-controlled toy car. Possibly some tokens left in the game might cause corruption too. Over the years I've added a few mods and removed them again when they didn't work for me, without any apparent harm done. Mods I've had to take out include Syberspunk's Adults go Steady, Pecado's Phone Hack and a mod by Cyjon that was supposed to allow townie teens not to have a job. Plus a few minor small mods. I took Adults go Steady out early in 2014, and I'm still playing my beloved Veronaville without it.

simler 90's Romantic Standards is a big mod, and I can see that removing it might cause problems. I'll stick to Pescado's Romance Mod myself.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topp
Interesting, Ifria. I've been using simler90's mod for quite some time - the main thing I like is that a nonchalant flirts between besties doesn't immediately result in eternal undying love.

Does Midgethetree's mod require the trait system or is it optional? I still haven't looked into getting the traits.


As far as I understand it, you do not need to use traits from the traits project for Midge's version. She just put in the work to have her mod work with the traits project for those who do use them.

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Scholar
#11 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 1:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfria
I use Romantic Standards and I really enjoy it! Romance is certainly more of a challenge now. I actually have to have my sims go on multiple dates without moving too quickly during them so it's been fun with the added challenge. Setting the mood really helps now too. For example, doing a dinner date next to a warm crackling fire with a violinist playing in the background really does wonders for getting other sims in the mood!


You make the mod sound very tempting. Shame it only has 190 updates to slug through if you actually want to know what you're changing.


"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 1:08 PM
Agreed. For a mod this complex and updated that often, a documentation precisely outlining every change, instead of base mod functionality description with over 190 appendices, is a must IMO. Or at least every 10 or so updates. I plopped the mod in and just hoped for the best, I really couldn't make myself read through every update note - at least not in one sitting.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 8th Aug 2021 at 11:20 PM
I'm using a special version of the walk to work and walk to school to enable that interaction as I want them to be able to get to work or school on apartment lots even without cars.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 2:05 PM
I completely started over my mods folder to start using simler90's. I quickly stopped using the romance one and switched to Midge's version because I realized it only improves the romance system that's already in there. For instance, Don Lothario would still get super jealous if he sees any of his women with someone else (which I've always felt makes no sense unless you're playing him as a pimp LOL). It's difficult adding other mods too so I had to take that one out in the end. Maybe I did something wrong? I highly recommend their Romantic Standards mod for anyone playing a historical or native themed hood though.

As far as the smaller mods go: they're such an improvement! The only two I had problems out of that I can recall were the "Walk to" ones but that was only because of some other mods I had in. As I said before, I had to completely reconstruct my mods folder to incorporate all of simler90's in so that's the biggest thing I'd say to keep in mind. In other words: be prepared for some conflicts.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 11:47 AM
Using some of the smaller mods, without problems - I have not tried the romantic standards.
Scholar
#16 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 9:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Surely that doesn't apply to all mods, does it? I thought it only applied to a few mods -- ones that add custom memories, or hidden NPCs cloned from the radio-controlled toy car. Possibly some tokens left in the game might cause corruption too. Over the years I've added a few mods and removed them again when they didn't work for me, without any apparent harm done. Mods I've had to take out include Syberspunk's Adults go Steady, Pecado's Phone Hack and a mod by Cyjon that was supposed to allow townie teens not to have a job. Plus a few minor small mods. I took Adults go Steady out early in 2014, and I'm still playing my beloved Veronaville without it.

simler 90's Romantic Standards is a big mod, and I can see that removing it might cause problems. I'll stick to Pescado's Romance Mod myself.


It applies to unusually complex mods, which simler90's Romantic Standards is (as well as a couple of other categories of mod which don't apply to simler90's work). All but the oldest such mods come with their own instructions which will specify if there's likely to be a problem with deleting the mod in a hood, and in any case the rule of thumb, "if it affects lots and lots of things, think twice before removing it" applies reliably.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 7:00 PM
whats better? ACR or Romantic standards?

JESSE!
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 7:19 PM
I'd say - in short - it depends on whether you focus on your playables (Romantic Standards), or you live for the drama (ACR).
Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 6:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousedroidz21
whats better? ACR or Romantic standards?


Another option is Midge's romantic standards along with Simgigglegirl's edit of ACR. This is what I use, though I don't use the 3t2 traits.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 8:29 PM
I found ACR is better because it's more customizable and the drama can be enabled or disabled based on what you want.
Back to top