Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Dec 2021 at 10:02 AM
Default Are there any facial animation mods for ts3?
I'm wondering if there are any mods that improve the default facial animations on sims whenever they talk. I know cc makes sims look better, however, when their faces animate (talking, eating, ect.), they look weird and awkward. If there isn't a mod like that, is it possible to make one? People use blender to create pose animations and such, and I was wondering if it is possible for someone to make like new facial animations with blender and replace the default ones with the custom ones.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Dec 2021 at 1:07 PM
Yes, it is very doable! You'd just have to find the modder who's willing to make one.
Very recently a mod was made to replace the hug animation for kids https://modthesims.info/d/662611/re...-animation.html
And there have also been plenty of modders who've converted animations from TS4 and even TSM to work in TS3 (like the dances https://rstarsims3.tumblr.com/post/...ns-conversion-a and sword fighting https://modthesims.info/d/639251/th...18-12-2020.html)

People have complained about the talking animations in TS4, too, being too cartoony and silly, no matter how realistic people's sims are--the illusion breaks as soon as they start moving and talking. I think it all boils down to the essence of The Sims as a concept, going all the way back to TS1, where it was campy and silly and goofy. Sims talk weird. Not just Simlish, but their body language, too; it's always over the top. I kinda like it, but I get what people mean when they want sims to just act normally once in a while.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 12th Dec 2021 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
People have complained about the talking animations in TS4, too, being too cartoony and silly, no matter how realistic people's sims are--the illusion breaks as soon as they start moving and talking. I think it all boils down to the essence of The Sims as a concept, going all the way back to TS1, where it was campy and silly and goofy. Sims talk weird. Not just Simlish, but their body language, too; it's always over the top. I kinda like it, but I get what people mean when they want sims to just act normally once in a while.

Well, in TS4's case it's not really so much that they're silly and cartoony. Like you said, The Sims is a life simulator but is an exaggeration of reality. But in the case of TS4, what most people don't like is how everyone and their mother talks with the mannerisms of a teenager. Arms flailing everywhere, trying to look "cool". It's very obvious that they animated Sims in TS4 with the mindset that people would (according to their logic) be primarily playing with young adults. Hence teens being the same height as adults and children having very little to do in the base game, etc.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Dec 2021 at 10:41 AM
T.V. presenters, who do not seem to be able to talk without gurning and gesticulating, or in extreme cases, throwing themselves about, gyrating and pirouetting like some bizarre form of extemporary dance, remind me a lot of sims.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Dec 2021 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Well, in TS4's case it's not really so much that they're silly and cartoony. Like you said, The Sims is a life simulator but is an exaggeration of reality. But in the case of TS4, what most people don't like is how everyone and their mother talks with the mannerisms of a teenager. Arms flailing everywhere, trying to look "cool". It's very obvious that they animated Sims in TS4 with the mindset that people would (according to their logic) be primarily playing with young adults. Hence teens being the same height as adults and children having very little to do in the base game, etc.

Yup! It's like EA thinks The Sims' player base is made up of literal children (their EA Play events and livestreams feel like kindergarten sometimes, I swear ).

It would be interesting to see what modders could make of "realistic/normal" animations; even if it's just removing the zany hand flailing animations, or just keeping certain animations for certain Traits. The Grumpy/Mean Spirited sims are way too chipper, for one.
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Dec 2021 at 6:43 PM
Jesus, this thread is about asking facial animation mod, not discussing what's bad in Sims 4. Hoping it would be noticed by a moderator before it's gone too far.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Dec 2021 at 6:57 PM
Hey @legacyoffailures I don't know if you know, but you can click the 'report this post' button for off-topic posts. That way the mods will be alerted.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#9 Old 13th Dec 2021 at 7:37 PM
Reminder to keep threads on-topic :p
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Apr 2023 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Plumbob09
I'm wondering if there are any mods that improve the default facial animations on sims whenever they talk. I know cc makes sims look better, however, when their faces animate (talking, eating, ect.), they look weird and awkward. If there isn't a mod like that, is it possible to make one? People use blender to create pose animations and such, and I was wondering if it is possible for someone to make like new facial animations with blender and replace the default ones with the custom ones.

https://modthesims.info/d/669665/fa...s-medieval.html
This one, perhaps?
Instructor
#11 Old 8th Apr 2023 at 11:15 PM Last edited by ChérieDawn67 : 8th Apr 2023 at 11:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Plumbob09

If your looking for poses to go with a particular storyline your best option is to contact someone that makes poses,if you mean like a an override mod for random faces that would be a great mod for someone to partake. might check this out https://youtu.be/W4WXIz7UKvw

Chérie66
Test Subject
#12 Old 19th Apr 2023 at 7:28 PM
This mod overrides the facial expressions to use the TSM ones https://modthesims.info/d/669665/fa...s-medieval.html
It makes the facial expressions look less warped and weird. Maybe its close to what you are looking for?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 21st Apr 2023 at 2:43 PM
I would imagine that there are very few, if any, animations specific to facial expressions, other than ones that have been converted from other Sims sources. One reason being that there are A LOT of tiny bones in a Sim's head to move in each frame... and if you do not make all of those tiny adjustments, expressions would probably look just like EA's anims.

Screenshots