Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Apartments and Shopping, on the same Lot!

by MogHughson Posted 6th Jul 2009 at 2:08 AM - Updated 11th Jan 2014 at 6:18 PM by Nysha

215 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 178 Feedback Posts, 36 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 9
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by radiofreechick
I'm having a problem. I have a lot like this that I got from another site. When I go into the lot its a community lot, so I put apartment doors on the apartments, and then I change the lot zoning to apartment based. When I go to move my Sim in it seems like it works, but when I get to the lot the only icons that will work are buy mode and build mode. Have I put the hack into the wrong folder, or am I not placing something on the lot that needs to be there?
When building an apartment lot, you must start with a residential lot. If you start with a community lot it won't correctly change zoning into an apartment in my experience. You can tell by looking at the mailbox - is there one? Does it change into an apartment lot style mail box when you do the change lot zoning command.

You could try changing into a residential lot, saving exiting, and then from there into apartmentbase - I don't know if this will work or not.

This is nothing to do with this mod however, just a general issue with building apartment lots - search this site for more info - there are various threads on the topic.

Cheers
Mog

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
#52 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 7:50 PM
Ooo, this is something *very* interesting. I don`t have Apartment Life installed yet, though. Next month, for sure. Meanwhile, I note you`ve been digging into --amongst other things-- the cell-phone vending machine. Have you any ideas why they function perfectly on normal community lots, but are inopereable at owned business lots?

Also, for those who want a home business under an "appartment", one possibility is to build "row-house"-type fake appartments [see Mootilda`s Lot Adjuster and the row-house tutorials] with shops underneath, and have the Sims who live in the "appartment" upstairs open a "home business" in the downstairs shop.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#53 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 4:31 AM
I've been rebuilding my Downloads folder and am interested in including this hack, but HCDU reports a possible conflict:

*** POSSIBLE CONFLICT DETECTED ***
File Type: BHAV
Procedure Name: Interaction - Buy TEST
Group ID: 0x7FA083E3
Instance ID: 0x00002022
Packages Containing This Procedure:
\downloads\MogHughson\apartments-and-shopping-Mog-20090615.package
\downloads\Pescado\noautopetbuy.package

Is this going to present a problem? Would proper load order help correct any problem?
#54 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 6:05 PM
Just guessing here, based on my wealth of general knowlege, which tells me that the two hacks WILL conflict, and that load order will not help. Can an expert confirm or refute this?

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KevinTMC
I've been rebuilding my Downloads folder and am interested in including this hack, but HCDU reports a possible conflict:

*** POSSIBLE CONFLICT DETECTED ***
File Type: BHAV
Procedure Name: Interaction - Buy TEST
Group ID: 0x7FA083E3
Instance ID: 0x00002022
Packages Containing This Procedure:
\downloads\MogHughson\apartments-and-shopping-Mog-20090615.package
\downloads\Pescado\noautopetbuy.package

Is this going to present a problem? Would proper load order help correct any problem?
I can tell you immediately that they will clash because that exact BHAV is listed on my main thread as one of the things I have changed. It is updated to allow the buying of pets on a combo-lot. I could produce a version without Pet buying capabilities and you could then use the rest and, if Pescado is willing, we could try to produce a combined update that would avoid the reported clash. Let me know.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Test Subject
#56 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
I can tell you immediately that they will clash because that exact BHAV is listed on my main thread as one of the things I have changed. It is updated to allow the buying of pets on a combo-lot. I could produce a version without Pet buying capabilities and you could then use the rest and, if Pescado is willing, we could try to produce a combined update that would avoid the reported clash. Let me know.

Thank you for the swift and kind reply. I understand better now what you were doing back there in the Overview with the list of hack clashes.

I'd personally be delighted to see an alternate version of this mod that avoided the conflict. (If you didn't have to trouble yourself overmuch to create it, that is.) A high street with any kind of store except pet store would be far better than either no high street at all, or having to live with sims autonomously buying pets.

But then I'm far from the most pet-crazy of players.
#57 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 9:07 PM
I`ve never had a Sim buy a pet autonomously. Under what conditions can it happen?

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KevinTMC
I'd personally be delighted to see an alternate version of this mod that avoided the conflict. (If you didn't have to trouble yourself overmuch to create it, that is.) A high street with any kind of store except pet store would be far better than either no high street at all, or having to live with sims autonomously buying pets.
An alternative download is now available. It simply removes the two BHAVs that made Pet Displays work on combo lots.

Cheers
Mog

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
I note you`ve been digging into --amongst other things-- the cell-phone vending machine. Have you any ideas why they function perfectly on normal community lots, but are inopereable at owned business lots?
To be honest, for this object all I had to do was test that it worked on my combo-lot and it did, so no digging was necessary. I took a look just now however (Group 0x7F011AE9), and I suspect it is due to the "Interaction - Buy - TEST" BHAV (0x1005) which returns FALSE if "EP3 - Shop On Lot?" returns TRUE. I suspect they might have removed it because the money you spend on it doesn't go into the coffers of the Home Business. You could try removing that test and testing it out to see how it behaves and chase down whatever the next thing that doesn't work with it might be. Would be a nice little mod to upload if you can get it working.

Cheers
Mog

Test Subject
#60 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 10:43 PM
MogHughson: Super! Cheers!

GenOpsDir: Apparently when you return to a lot with playable sims after playing someone else for awhile, they will greet you with a "we bought a new pet! want to keep it?" message. If you keep it, you get a pig in a poke; if not, it adds the poor critter to the adoptable and/or stray pets bin.

I may be garbling that description somewhat, having never seen it myself--I've never played with Pets without the nopetbuy hack.
#61 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 4:45 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 21st Aug 2009 at 8:31 PM.
MogHughson, I might just give that a try. KevinTMC, if that`s the case, I probably don`t have to worry, as I never change households mid-session. Thank you both!

Edit: I`ve cloned the entire kiosk as a default-replacement type of item, and I`m exploring the resulting package. I`ve already made that function return True regardless, and I`ll test it in-game tonight. Meanwhile, I`m browsing the other BHAVs in the file, and EA BHAV coding makes "spaghetti code" seem positively well-planned! Individual instructions in any given BHAV are often far from both the "previous" and "next" instructions, jumping around the code willy-nilly, like grasshoppers, and they often leave DEAD code there, too --instructions with NO "previous" instruction linking to it anywhere in the BHAV.

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Meanwhile, I`m browsing the other BHAVs in the file, and EA BHAV coding makes "spaghetti code" seem positively well-planned! Individual instructions in any given BHAV are often far from both the "previous" and "next" instructions, jumping around the code willy-nilly, like grasshoppers, and they often leave DEAD code there, too --instructions with NO "previous" instruction linking to it anywhere in the BHAV.
That is so true - I find the sort button often helps, and when that doesn't completely solve the problem I find it helps learning what a function does by manually sorting it as you read through it. Leaving in the original mess is definitely never the easiest way to read it though.

Cheers
Mog

#63 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 8:03 PM
::chuckle:: I`ve just now read in another thread I`m active in that EA *meshes* are similarly "well-done".

Well, I have results to report. It worked, and it didn`t. I had a Sim walk to the owned lot where I have a kiosk installed, and the Buy interaction appeared when I clicked on the kiosk, but when I selected it, the whole game crashed to desktop, with a "This application has crashed and will now terminate" "requester" on the game screen. I didn`t bother to test if it still worked on the unowned lot. I expect that I need to delete more of the records in the package; right now, I just have the whole object cloned, and haven`t deleted the stuff that doesn`t need changing.

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 3:14 PM
Fantastic thanks :D
#65 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:43 PM
Further results: I`ve done some further tweaking [deleteing unused junk from the package] and gotten it to work reliably on both owned and unowned lots. I uploaded it into its own downloads thread, but didn`t submit it for moderation as I didn`t have any screenshots ready. Instead, I uploaded a temporary "Placeholder" image while awaiting opportunity to create the required screenshot, which I have since done. Meanwhile, I`ve discovered something that makes me wonder if my hack is needed at all. I`ll test that at the earliest opportunity, and get back to you with my results.

Test Subject
#66 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 2:17 AM
Hi, I'm interested in downloading this hack but i do have one question It might have been explained but i just want to make sure because it doesn't really fall under the home business credentials. The shops below the apartments; are they able to be owned by sims not living on the lot or because it's still a residential lot that's not a possibility? I have a habit of taking every known business and putting it into downtown but the game usually crashes so i thought this would be a better option.
Scholar
#67 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 5:25 PM
This mod looks very interesting..........so, now it's downloaded.......and I will see how it make apartment lots more interesting! Thank you!

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today

My Avatar? It's Corto Maltese - a pirate but a gentleman! His name stands for honor, honesty, confidence and the truth: THE TRUE FACE OF TSR
#68 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:11 PM
Luckypup2122, I`m almost certain that it`s an impossibility with current knowlege. As far as I can tell, the shops under the apartments cannot be owned by anyone, resident or not, unless you make the shops into apartments, and maybe not even then.

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Luckypup2122
Hi, I'm interested in downloading this hack but i do have one question It might have been explained but i just want to make sure because it doesn't really fall under the home business credentials. The shops below the apartments; are they able to be owned by sims not living on the lot or because it's still a residential lot that's not a possibility? I have a habit of taking every known business and putting it into downtown but the game usually crashes so i thought this would be a better option.

Home Business are disabled by Maxis on Apartment Lots. This mod does not change that fact.

Cheers
Mog

Test Subject
#70 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 12:47 AM
thx 4 the dirs. will try it as soon as get in the game.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 4:54 PM
I can't thank you enough! I've been wanting this for so long :lovestruc
Test Subject
#72 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 2:43 AM
Hope it works!!!!!

Jademessenger54
Test Subject
#73 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 7:58 PM
This is great!!!

Thanks... :D
Scholar
#74 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 9:14 PM
THANK YOU soo much! I have always wanted apartments to be on the same lot as shops - otherwise it is almost the same is a residential just with more families, which is really not what I ever wanted, so I love this mod already! Thank you!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Instructor
#75 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 12:59 PM
AWESOME! Thank you
Page 3 of 9