Replies: 29 (Who?), Viewed: 855 times.
Page 2 of 2
Theorist
#26 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 6:46 AM
Thank you Naus and I will play with this a bit more. We just need to change in the STBL and that will alter the OBJD also? The STBL is the master resource?
Mad Poster
#27 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 9:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0
I will be presumptuous enough to say, however, that it seems like any one of these programs could be far more intuitive. And any complaints that I should just learn how to do it myself is somewhat contradicted by the presence of these programs to begin with. Isn't the point of them being distributed to make it easier for the next guy? I mean, why are you guys familiar with them? Why didn't you all just make your own programs, hmmmmm? :P

I mean your reply is fair enough, not everyone is cut out to be a techies. However, that being said, this is "hardly" modding. I mean, I'm not even a hardcore modder, those who actually do software programming in python/visual basics/C++, but I've done modding on various games and programs by finding the tools I needed to unpack them, then learning how to do coding in xml, LUA, and even hex. Now of course if I ran into a block, I ask for help. Compare to that, S3PE is not a modder's tool, it is already more than simple enough with a nice GUI, everything set out for you to use.

But the bottom line is (actually Igazor said it), it isn't about modding or being tech saavy. It is about "you want something," and "what you are willing to do to get it." You can sit and wait and expect other people to do it for you, but what if they can't? What if they don't know how? Are you just going to give up? And as Igazor said, what if a month from now, you want to change something else? You can't always rely on other people, you gotta learn to do things for yourself. That's all I'm saying. The help forum (which btw, is where your post should go) is a lot more helpful to people if when they ask for help, people give them the tools and point them the way they can help themselves.

It reminds me of a funny story my father use to tell. He use to tutor my sister in math during middle school. After a while, he realized she actually didn't learn anything b/c he always ended up solving all the problems for her. Each time he showed her the steps on how to solve a problem and then asked her to solve the next identical problem, she always pauses and hesitates and then asks him for help and he ends up repeating the steps little by little until "he" solved the problem but she wrote the answer and thought she did it. So despite his efforts in tutoring her, she failed all her exams.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Theorist
#28 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 9:59 AM
IMO this is a general/frequent problem/trend now. Many people will not google anything, not try to learn anything on their own, and want all done for them. I have always been a teach person to fish rather than give them fish person. I ask questions here as many do, but generally try to find the information on my own before asking. And far too many people demand help and do not even ask please now. Just saw this again on FB.

So I should have tested before my STBL comment but at least dug around S3PE a bit. LOL
Mad Poster
#29 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 7:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
IMO this is a general/frequent problem/trend now. Many people will not google anything, not try to learn anything on their own, and want all done for them. I have always been a teach person to fish rather than give them fish person. ... And far too many people demand help and do not even ask please now. Just saw this again on FB.

Ah man, don't get me started on the correlation to the larger national or global scale. Do people here read the news? I stopped reading the news b/c it is just so depressing reading about how entitled and spoiled this generation is.

Quote:
So I should have tested before my STBL comment but at least dug around S3PE a bit. LOL

It's alright to ask questions, it's not that I'm discouraging people to ask questions. We don't want to turn into the "awesomemod forum" now.

I just expect people to meet me half way. When the OP just flat out said he doesn't know what to do with the S3PE especially when the original post I included a screenshot RIGHT at the item cost and a numerical value that can be changed. I mean Naus' pretty much wrote a tutorial there, complete with pictures! If that doesn't help him, then....

You know back 10 yrs ago people were warning us the "microwave generation" where people's attention span and patience runs thinner and thinner as we improve technology to speed up our lives. People want instant gratification, and get agitated when things take a little longer. Ironically being exposed right now by the Wuhan virus, people becoming short and agitated with each other, violence breaking out. Saw a video of a man screaming at a Chinese restaurant because he waited too long for his take out.

I've been doing a lot of research in SSD lately and I'm kinda sorely disappointed to be honest. The greatest improvement is the random read/write, but sequential loading improvement... ok, so you load Skyrim in 45 seconds with HDD and 8 seconds with SSD. Really... that 37 seconds of your life is so important? And some programs only differ by less than 3-5 seconds.

I just bought a 128GB SSD and I'm sitting here wondering what else could I possibly put on there other than Sims 3? I mean, I put StarCraft II on there? The loading did not make any noticeable difference, probably 3-5 seconds on start up? I mean, how fast do we need MS Word to load?

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Theorist
#30 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 1:02 AM
I at least have the excuse that I cannot play/test at this location as my game is disk installed and all disks are elsewhere, so that is my excuse. LOL I also shake my head that folks on welfare, food stamps, section 8, whatever, all think they are entitled to the latest iphone, a 60 inch TV, etc. I had a trakfone I let expire.

But back to Sims, I am VERY grateful to Inge and Peter and Delphy and Twallan and everyone who spent major chunks of their lives to give us amazing programs. And there is info. out there how to use most of them if we just look for it. I ask for help when needed and am appreciative of all help I get. And I help others when I can when think they have at least made an effort to do some research on their own. Also, I am a very curious person so like to poke about programs to see what there is. I keep going and explore and just do not hit the final enter to not mess up anything when I still do not know what I am doing.
Page 2 of 2