Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 3:00 PM
Default Romantic Interests - Possible?
I have a question. I have a "love-triangle" family of two YA Males and one YA Female. She will eventually become a couple with one of them and marry, but I want the other one to also be in love with her. Downside is, it has to be a sort of one-sided love.

Can I somehow influence the relationship or certain actions to cause her to fall out of love with him, but have him still love her?

C-A
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 6:44 PM
Sorry, there are no imbalanced relationships in TS3. So however she feels will reflect in his reciprocal view of the relationship as well. From a storytelling perspective, though, you can handle it however you see fit. Just because the game doesn't support the feature, doesn't mean your imagination can't.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 6:45 PM
That's stupid... I overall am not telling stories in my games, I just try to replicate how things will/would go int he series they are generally based on. Guess the only way to do it, then, is to have them be in love for a bit and then her smashing his heart by announcing the engagement to the other guy. (You really have to add unbalanced relationships to Sims 4, maxis...)

C-A
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 7:33 PM
No, it doesn't work that way in TS3. If you want, you could set their relationship to romantic interest and the other's to boyfriend, then just never go and see him. That's how I do it anyway
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 8:27 PM
Mh. Well I had her become romantic interests with the one guy, then had her become a romantic interest of the other - making sure nothing romantic happened while the other was around - and then get engaged to the first guy. You know, strangely enough, when she announced the Engagement to the second guy, he was happy - rather than heartbroken... (I do not understand the inter-relation-reactions in this game...)

C-A
Forum Resident
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 8:32 PM
This is one of the things I don't get... There are imbalanced relationships in 2 AND 1... Why would they think it would be a smart feature to drop?
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
This is one of the things I don't get... There are imbalanced relationships in 2 AND 1... Why would they think it would be a smart feature to drop?

No idea... same reason they removed the feature of pinching a Sim's ass?
I liked that feature, it would fit perfectly with flirty, raunchy Sims.
But can we do it in Sims 3? No...

C-A
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 4:13 AM
One-sided relationships is one of my biggest wishes for Sims 3 mods. If that can't be done, hopefully it will be back in Sims 4.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
One-sided relationships is one of my biggest wishes for Sims 3 mods. If that can't be done, hopefully it will be back in Sims 4.

Adding one-sided relationships to Sims 3 at this stage is pretty much impossible, I would say.

Doubling the amount of relationship variables and making sure that they're loaded and saved properly is the very least of the many obstacles such a feature would involve. After cloning all the relationship values you would have to rewrite every single place in the code where the relationship values are adjusted, to make sure that the second relationship value (the "opposite" direction of the relationship) is updated as well. We're talking core mods here, with changes to several of the game's dll libraries. Every single place in the code where the relationship values are tested also need to be rewritten, of course, to enable the game to test the value that goes in the other direction as well.

And we still haven't made anything to cause the values to actually separate from each other - at this point they're just two values that behave identically, since they're being updated with the same values. So now you have to reconsider all those situations where the relationships are adjusted or tested once more, to add new effects and possibilities. "Okay, this interaction causes the first direction of the relationship to be adjusted with the modifier X, but because of the other sim's traits, the adjustment in the opposite direction will be Y." "What happens if this sim, who has the relationship W to the other sim, tries to interact in this manner even though the other sim has the relationship Z in the opposite direction?" Right now there are no such conditions in the code, since the game lazily assumes that both sims always feel the same way of another.

And to really complete this huge rewrite of the game, we might need to add new actions and new buffs too, since these unsynchronized relationship values now introduce new gameplay possibilities as well.

So to add this functionality would essentially be to rewrite the entire game. We will have to hope that EA/Maxis change this for Sims 4 instead.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 7:31 PM
Quote:
We will have to hope that EA/Maxis change this for Sims 4 instead.

I only saw the preview of Sims 4 once, but I think it had a part in it that seemed to hint at the possibility of unrequited crushes ...?

C-A