Replies: 205 (Who?), Viewed: 68861 times.
Page 9 of 9
Scholar
#201 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 12:08 AM
Ok. Will think about doing that. Thank you.
Scholar
#202 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 1:31 AM
Ok, maybe not the best thread to post this but it continues what I started. I created an account that has no Microsoft account connection/email while having OneDrive not in the Startup list of programs (Thank you CCleaner!) and that seems to eliminate OneDrive in this account, So TS3 doesn't create a new Game folder somewhere it can't find it. So far, it seems to be working.
I don't mind Windows 10 for work, I just use it but with my gaming machine, it's a pain!
Still haven't put things on Ramdisk but that's my next project. I'll report back if I figure it out.
Test Subject
#203 Old 15th Feb 2020 at 7:42 PM
Hello there.

I know your thread is quite old and I understand that everything is explained but excuse me for my questions. I have been a solid fan of Sims series since Sims 1 and now despite my relatively old age for gaming I still play this game. I have played the Sims 4 but the idea of open world and excessive modding in Sims 3 kept haunting me. So back in the day, I stacked up around 6.5 gb of custom mods and nearly all of the expansions and DLC of Sims 3. Contents such as clothes, shoes, objects, electronics, decorations, lots, sims and everything. I know 6.5 gb is quite too much but I like my game that way. I also make huge neighborhoods and use lots of nraas mods and its story progression. I did all the necessary clean up, packing and tidying for performance but it wasn't even close to solving my issues.

As a result, so many mods and sims while all the sims having a story in the town, made my game unplayable. It was lagging so much that the lag time was %95 while play time was %5 lol. So years passed, and now I have a newer PC. I recently bought a 9.th gen Intel corei5 9600K, with a 1660 Nvidia graphics card and 16 gb of ram. I also installed a 500gb SSD and its not some trash type. It is a corsair with really cool read and write values. So I assumed it would handle the Sims 3 the way I always wanted. Well, it didn't. It wasn't so unplayable when compared to my previous PC but it still freezes for seconds nearly twice or thrice a minute. Sometimes it freezes longer than 10-15 seconds. 4gb patch didn't solve my problems, other tools were useless too. So I saw your thread. I wanted to give it a shot but neither this seems to solve the lagging in my game.

Then I gave it some thought and I found it stupid that my game was lagging. I am monitoring the hardware. Sims 3 RAM usage is usually around 1900 and rarely exceeds 2000 while the maximum I saw was 2100. I think it doesn't use more than 2gb whatever I do. CPU usage is a joke, it never uses even %40 of the processing power available. And about the HDD, the whole game and DLC's and expansions + User files are on a Corsair MP510 SSD and it has 3480mb read and 2000mb write speed. In my imaginary world, this should solve all the issues. I installed the RAMDISK and it is both installed and imaged on the SSD too. Nothing changes. I start the game, it uses around 1900mb of my ram and it keeps lagging. Yes I have populated my town both with lots and sims (not like hell but quite) and I still use 6.5gb of CC on it but it shouldn't be freezing so hard with this system. I tried to brainstorm and thought it would also have problems with graphics memory usage too. My graphics card has 6gb of GRAM and I have no idea if a 32bit application has limitations about GRAM too. If it does, then I also have no idea if it can be solved too. I tried to lower the graphical settings but it also did not improve the gameplay much.

As a result, I am so stuck here, with a 2009 branded game, and a 2020 model computer which can run Odyssey, Young Blood, Battlefield 1 and CoD World at War at maximum settings and without a hitch, so you may guess my frustration xD Can you lead me to any path that lights the answer to a question: why does this game lag so much? What is bugging this game? What can I do to stop this freezing? I also tried to stop nraas progression many times but it didn't help too. I am using nraas debug options to fix invisible people too. I have overwatch so it also finds unrouted sims... I want to play this game with my DLC and CC. Do you think it is possible at any point?

Thanks in advance.
Mad Poster
#204 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quetzila_SC

As a result, I am so stuck here, with a 2009 branded game, and a 2020 model computer which can run Odyssey, Young Blood, Battlefield 1 and CoD World at War at maximum settings and without a hitch, so you may guess my frustration xD Can you lead me to any path that lights the answer to a question: why does this game lag so much? What is bugging this game? What can I do to stop this freezing? I also tried to stop nraas progression many times but it didn't help too. I am using nraas debug options to fix invisible people too. I have overwatch so it also finds unrouted sims... I want to play this game with my DLC and CC. Do you think it is possible at any point?

There is one very important thing you haven't mentioned in your post. A 1600-series graphics card, like all modern GPUs that are strong enough to be carrying the entire game, needs to have its frame rates reeled in by way of vertical sync and, in many cases, fps capping. TS3 has no functional built-in fps limiter. The actual frame rates you are getting can be checked on in-game with the cheat code, bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter). To make the display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter). The goal would be to lock things in at or under the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so that would be 60fps, of course some monitors can run higher.

Possibly you know all of this and have already tended to it after installing the game on this system, but it just seemed odd that it wasn't even mentioned. No combinations of mods and RAM Disk techniques are going to help the game perform properly if the frame rates generated by the GPU are wildly fluctuating all over the place in the mid to high hundreds or thousands, which is what tends to happen. It should also be pointed out that the Windows version of the game has not required a 4 GB patch since somewhere in 2010 when EA took care of this by way of Patch 1.17.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#205 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 1:22 AM
Please post a new post in the help forum and include necessary information, such as your deviceconfig log.

TS3 actually runs poorer on newer systems b/c it is so old you need to make sure everything is compatible and running fine. Aside from what Igazor listed above, I can still think of many issues such as is your VRAM even functional? And what world are you playing? some worlds have a lot of routing issues, made worse by a faster CPU. These require NRAAS mods such as overwatch, errortrap, etc... to keep clean and resetting stuck sims. Also you should unpark your CPUs.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#206 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 5:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
There is one very important thing you haven't mentioned in your post. A 1600-series graphics card, like all modern GPUs that are strong enough to be carrying the entire game, needs to have its frame rates reeled in by way of vertical sync and, in many cases, fps capping. TS3 has no functional built-in fps limiter. The actual frame rates you are getting can be checked on in-game with the cheat code, bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter). To make the display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter). The goal would be to lock things in at or under the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so that would be 60fps, of course some monitors can run higher.

Possibly you know all of this and have already tended to it after installing the game on this system, but it just seemed odd that it wasn't even mentioned. No combinations of mods and RAM Disk techniques are going to help the game perform properly if the frame rates generated by the GPU are wildly fluctuating all over the place in the mid to high hundreds or thousands, which is what tends to happen. It should also be pointed out that the Windows version of the game has not required a 4 GB patch since somewhere in 2010 when EA took care of this by way of Patch 1.17.

Hello

After reading your post, I remembered that I used to manage the FPS with my old PC too. My bad, this time I completely forgot about it.

But in a nutshell, as I can understand from what you say, a powerful GPU will be spamming my old game with unnecessary frame rates just because it can and it will bring a tremendous amount of work load that it will eventually cause lags. Well I don't have vertycal sync on. I will check that in my earliest convenience. I am using dual monitors. Primary is a 42" but its only full HD. 100mhz. I will test the FPS and try to limit it at 100. I will report my feedback later. You actually really highlighted something that rings a bell in my mind. I will try your suggestion and if it doesn't work, I will open a new topic at help section as nitromon suggested. I asked the question in this topic because people seemed to know about this stuff and I have a good understanding about computers, hardware and applications but I am not a software guy after all. I think we call that a "computer nerd" lol. So my knowledge, while being sufficient for many things, is limited and not too deep. So I don't really understand how things work in the background. Nevertheless, I think I got what you are suggesting.

Just as a side note, for what nitromon asked: I have a self made world which I designed in CAW. I tried that one but it is huge with like hundreds of sims and lots. That was impossible to play. So I started a new game in Sunset Valley. It still lags in a farily populated Sunset Valley but not as bad as mySet Valley I think my self made world has terrible routing problems. I didn't try playing in a fixed map yet.

Thank you very much.
Page 9 of 9