Replies: 113 (Who?), Viewed: 52378 times.
Page 5 of 5
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Hi,

Don't touch the affinity setting, it just turns off your CPU cores. You don't need to worry about that.

I'm not exactly sure what your process lasso is saying, but you should know RAM and VRAM are separate and different things. I'm pretty sure your TS2 is not using that much RAM. However, I do remember TS2 does use up to 99% of RAM upon running. But it really doesn't "use" that much VRAM, it just "testing" it to record it on the deviceconfig log. Once after boot up, the RAM should go back down.

When you play, you can press "ctrl+shift+s" and it will display a game status. On there you can read "virtual ram" usage, that is your actual ram usage. Alternatively, you can read it from your task manager.

You do not need to remove any Intel setting you have. Modifying those settings simply modify the CFG file for TS2, but it doesn't actually make TS2 use the GPU. Those are done through your AMD control panel or Window OS, which again I do not have any experience with AMD to know how it is done.

Generally through Windows, you right click on the icon, you'll see a lot of menu, one of which is to select which GPU to run the program.

---

Btw, that screenshot of GPU-Z with your Intel... tell me that's what it looks like when you boot TS2? But it actually goes down? I'm pretty sure TS2 doesn't use 6GB of VRAM.

Oh, okay, I'll leave it alone then xD

Sorry for the poor screenshot haha It was saying 88% of my RAM of 7.9GB was being used (that is, the Sims was using like 50% of it because when it isn't running it's around 30% or 50%) Hmmm, weird, because it doesn't go back down, it just stays from 70% to 90% sometimes 91.

Thanks for the trick! Though I have already used the device manager and when the game's running my RAM usage goes to 6GB or 7GB (which is a lot) but it never goes higher so I guess that's not too bad.

Mmmm if that's the case, I honestly think my game is using both because, you see, AMD settings are done using a switchable graphics options that appears when right-clicking the desktop. There, you are supposed to choose "high performance" for those games you want to use the AMD card and those with "Power saving" will use the integrated card. Both my sims game and bodyshop are set to high performance, reason why I find it weird GPU-Z is showing changes in BOTH cards.

Unfortunately I don't have that option and I don't know why :/ Rn I'm using Catalyst Control Center (which is for AMD) to make changes to the performance of the Sims and also add it as a 3D application with different graphic quality (AMD stuff). So I'm gonna see how it goes and if I can finally make sure the game is using the AMD one u.u
Screenshots

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
Chipset and GPU are two different hardware, chipset is located on the motherboard previously known as northbridge and southbridge but nowadays most motherboards only have one that handle everything (from Intel perspective, I don't know much about the latest AMD motherboards), these chipsets for Intel platform such as H170 B250 Z370 and X299, the H and B chipsets are the lower and mid end class for general computing and gaming, the Z and X are the top lines to support overclocking processors and high performance RAMs.

So unless you need an overclocking motherboard for your processor, then go for the low and mid end class motherboard, it doesn't matter how advance the video card or GPU is being used for the system just make sure the processor doesn't bottleneck the video card and vice versa, you'll only need high end chipset if you're overclocking and using high end memory RAM.

Yes it seems like you do have dual switchable graphics, one from your Intel CPU and the secondary from your AMD dedicated graphics. To make them work it's not much different from dual switchable graphics Intel and Nvidia, just make sure you install your Intel HD driver first and then followed by the secondary gpu, it usually work just straightforward, for TS3 you may need to make the game recognize the newer GPU generation and the rest will just done automatically, but I'm not familiar with TS2 but I think it's not much different and I don't think you'll need any third party driver or additional software to make them work.

As for your high consumption of memory RAM, you may need to clear your browser cache as they may consuming in the background, 40% to 50% of ram usage while not gaming or just idling are huge and will hit your overall system performance big time, if you're on Win 10, disabled all apps background process might help.

I didn't understand some terms in what you said because I'm latin, but I think I get it xD Anyways I don't think I'll be getting an overclocking motherboard for my laptop because I'd have to tell my parents and then they'll think I damaged something D:

They're already installed. But it's not that easy. I have already "switched" the graphics cards and it still uses the Intel one. My game runs well though, but I don't want my Intel card to die.

Mmmm, that's true, but even antivirus? I don't think I should disable that. Actually, I only have my antivirus, process lasso, parkcontrol and CCC opened, so I don't know why it consumes so much RAM. But it goes down when I close chrome and Discord, so I guess it's cool

What's the point?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#103 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 1:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyx
They're already installed. But it's not that easy. I have already "switched" the graphics cards and it still uses the Intel one. My game runs well though, but I don't want my Intel card to die.

Your Intel is not going to die. But the performance difference between a dedicated GPU (AMD) and an integrated GPU (Intel) is dramatically different.

Quote:
But it goes down when I close chrome and Discord, so I guess it's cool

Ahh. Yes, chrome on certain chat/comment programs can consume vast amount of RAM up to 2-3GB.

I don't think you need to worry much about ram or cpu etc... the only thing that seems to be not working properly is switching to the AMD.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 2:07 AM
Quote:
Your Intel is not going to die. But the performance difference between a dedicated GPU (AMD) and an integrated GPU (Intel) is dramatically different.

Ahh. Yes, chrome on certain chat/comment programs can consume vast amount of RAM up to 2-3GB.

I don't think you need to worry much about ram or cpu etc... the only thing that seems to be not working properly is switching to the AMD.

I feel more relieved now x'D

Wow that's a lot. Actually, it doesn't even go that high when watching videos on YT. That's just how it normally is, and I don't even do much :s.

I hope nothing bad happens T-T If I remember correctly, there was a time in which I THINK the game was using the AMD because after a while the card got "tired" and some things were like, digital snow? But not exacly like that, idk how to explain it. Let's say, a closet was white with small pink squares, pixelated, and if I left the game "rest" for a while it would turn back to normal so I guess that was the driver but I'm not sure it was the Intel or the AMD card.

What's the point?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#105 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 2:54 AM
Yes the AMD Catalyst control is the right place to set this. Looks like you did set it correctly. Your previous GPU-Z screenshots were taken during loading screen. Can you take a look at GPU-Z during actual game play? Under AMD GPU tab, you should see the clock speed up from 0.

There is one other area you need to check. Click on your battery icon in the system tray and see what "power plan" it is running. If it is running "power save" mode it will never run your dedicated GPU as most power save modes turn them off.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 3:52 AM
Quote:
Yes the AMD Catalyst control is the right place to set this. Looks like you did set it correctly. Your previous GPU-Z screenshots were taken during loading screen. Can you take a look at GPU-Z during actual game play? Under AMD GPU tab, you should see the clock speed up from 0.

There is one other area you need to check. Click on your battery icon in the system tray and see what "power plan" it is running. If it is running "power save" mode it will never run your dedicated GPU as most power save modes turn them off.

Yeah I will, I was finishing homework ^^
It's in high performance already, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll post what I found out (if I do) soon.

What's the point?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#107 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 4:11 AM
Quote:
It's in high performance already, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll post what I found out (if I do) soon.

You're talking about the AMD Catalyst Control setting? I'm talking about your battery power setting.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 5:05 AM
Quote:
You're talking about the AMD Catalyst Control setting? I'm talking about your battery power setting.

Yeah my battery power has always been in High performance, even more now that my battery is damaged (my system "can't" recognize it, so my laptop is always plugged in and if I unplug it, it shuts down). Sooo I have great news! It seems my game does use the AMD Card after all But in the loading screens, apparently not. Only when in a lot or in the neighborhood. For example in the loading screen of the game and of a family, the GPU was at 0% but when the lot loaded and i started playing it went to 50% which I'm glad by ^^ Apparently the solution was to put the game in the 3D graphics configuration and not only in the switchable graphics High Performance of the desktop. I can also record with OBS and my RAM will never go up more than 92% (yet hehe). Thank you so muuuuch for all the advice you gave me and the time and patience you had for helping me!!! I learned more here than at my school One thing I don't like tho, is that sometimes when I, idk, let's say the neighborhood just loaded, I hear a weird sound from my laptop and I think it may be my card. It sounds like "tk" or "kj", but it rarely happens. Anyways that's worrying me because that may mean my card is being damaged or something D: or idk what else it could be. I'm gonna attach pictures of the constant changes GPU-Z showed me when loading the game.

Btw I also attached my card's aspects just in case you have something to say about it ^^

What's the point?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#109 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 5:28 AM
Well, I'm glad we got this resolved. Yes it looks like it is working correctly.

It doesn't actually "switch" to intel during loading screen, it uses intel for your desktop and as your main graphics processor. It uses the AMD for the 3D rendering, which is what it should be doing.

There are no cards in your laptop. The sound might be either from your CD drive, HDD, or the fan, depending on what it is and how your game is set up. It might be a CD check, or it might actually turn on the 3D rendering, I don't know. I noticed the AMD GPU has its own fan in the GPU-Z sensor, the fan may just be turned on b/c you loaded the lot and it start using the AMD.

If you look at the green information on your TS2, the "VM" is the actual memory your TS2 is using, it looks like it is only using 1GB. This is pretty normal. I'm using an older GPU-Z, which doesn't have the "system memory usage" sensor, so that information threw me off. It is not your VRAM, but your whole RAM. You can click the "3 horizontal bar" icon on the top right, then choose "sensor" tab, to select or deselect sensors you don't want.

Btw, if you are having any graphical issues, make sure you use leefish's ts2 graphics configurator and set it up for AMD.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 5:52 AM
Quote:
Well, I'm glad we got this resolved. Yes it looks like it is working correctly.

It doesn't actually "switch" to intel during loading screen, it uses intel for your desktop and as your main graphics processor. It uses the AMD for the 3D rendering, which is what it should be doing.

There are no cards in your laptop. The sound might be either from your CD drive, HDD, or the fan, depending on what it is and how your game is set up. It might be a CD check, or it might actually turn on the 3D rendering, I don't know. I noticed the AMD GPU has its own fan in the GPU-Z sensor, the fan may just be turned on b/c you loaded the lot and it start using the AMD.

If you look at the green information on your TS2, the "VM" is the actual memory your TS2 is using, it looks like it is only using 1GB. This is pretty normal. I'm using an older GPU-Z, which doesn't have the "system memory usage" sensor, so that information threw me off. It is not your VRAM, but your whole RAM. You can click the "3 horizontal bar" icon on the top right, then choose "sensor" tab, to select or deselect sensors you don't want.

Btw, if you are having any graphical issues, make sure you use leefish's ts2 graphics configurator and set it up for AMD.

Ohhhh, that makes sense, God I'm so dumb... it's just that I never thought it would that high unless I was gaming.

Mmmm yeah i think it could also be the fan, though the sound was worrying me; it doesn't sound like a fan turning on to me xD but since the sound came from upper part of my keyboard, it makes sense. It happens when the neigborhood is done loading, when the lot is loaded and sometimes when I enter and exit build mode and return to live mode.

Really? That makes me so happy, my laptop is not dying! Even with my 31k CC files it's only using 1GB, damn xD I'd rather leave it like that, the more information, the better ^^ I'm still impressed by the fact it's only using 1 GB, which is weird, because one time I loaded the mirror and then makeup (if I change hair it doesn't lagg or crash) and after a while it crashed (makes sense since the makeup tab is FULL: P). If it has more than enough RAM, why would it happen?

At the moment I have no graphic problems because I have already changed my graphic rules files soo, yet, no problems

What's the point?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#111 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 6:11 AM
Quote:
If it has more than enough RAM, why would it happen?

Crash doesn't happen b/c it ran out of RAM, it happens b/c of how it uses the ram.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 6:33 AM
Quote:
Crash doesn't happen b/c it ran out of RAM, it happens b/c of how it uses the ram.

Hmmm, so when loading the makeup tab how does it use it to make it crash? However it doesn't always happen. It's random. One day I may load that tab and everything go fine and the other then BOOM Blue screen of death D;

What's the point?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#113 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 8:46 AM
Quote:
Hmmm, so when loading the makeup tab how does it use it to make it crash? However it doesn't always happen. It's random. One day I may load that tab and everything go fine and the other then BOOM Blue screen of death D;

probably corrupt cc or mod

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 9:21 AM
Quote:
probably corrupt cc or mod

Mmmm, that's weird. I don't think it may be corrupt CC, maybe it's one of my mods. I have a lot since I record videos and stuff. But in bodyshop and create-a-sim everything is fine (though I don't use the makeup tab either in CAS because it gets really laggy, or at least, that's how it has always been and I don't want to see that laggy screen again xD) But I'm glad it isn't because my laptop is bad or anything, yay! You're really good at making me feel well xD

What's the point?
Page 5 of 5