Replies: 8878 (Who?), Viewed: 435439 times.
Page 356 of 356
Mad Poster
#8876 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 10:25 PM
If my sim is out of money they can still dig for treasure and even bones or rocks are sellable.
Mad Poster
#8877 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 8:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadOlson
I've discovered that enire households can be saved fron dying off by installing a welfare Mod so they can get by while searching for a job.It's needed if you want to make job searching harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAlien
You don't necessarily need a mod. The vanilla game offers the kaching and familyfunds cheats, plus the money tree reward object. Familyfunds has the advantage of allowing you to determine exactly how much they get and when, but it only works if every household in your hood has a unique name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadOlson
It's better to use Mods because some challenges have rules about using those cheats and I didn't know about them when I lost that household.I would rather avoid cheating and a welfare Mod isn't cheating as long as you still have them search for jobs or start working at a craft or working as artisans to earn other money.I had to choose between staying vanilla and being forced to cheat a lot or Modding my game out and actually just being able to play without cheating except to place objects or fix a glitch.
In my early game I simulated a family living on benefits by a very restricted use of the Kaching cheat. I used it when they really needed money for essentials like food or bills, but didn't allow them to buy luxuries. (It was the Moltke family, and I admit I also used it to buy christianlov's Easy Bed for Julian, as I really wanted him and Andrew to be able to sleep together. [They only slept together -- they didn't have woohoo until they got married late last year. Andrew is quite conservative in some of his thinking. -- But I'm drifting off topic! ]) The reason for them living on benefit was that they had a toddler -- little Hans -- at home, and I was so inexperienced as a player, that I found I needed both parents there to look after him. I suppose their teenage son could have helped more than he did, but, though his intentions were good, Julian was so head over heels in love with Andrew that he found it hard to think about anything else.

TadOlson, I don't think there's any need to get hung up because a feature is only available through the Cheats window. Some mods, and indeed some Maxis features (like money trees) feel much "cheatier" than the cheats. Using a "cheat" in The Sims -- a single player sandbox game -- is scarcely the same as marking your cards in a high stakes poker game. Or taking performance-enhancing drugs in the Olympics. Many of the things in "Cheats" are just ways of extending the game and making it more interesting. I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong, when I turn Aging Off to spend more time with Sims that I love. Or when I turn MoveObjects on to put a fire alarm above a window. In fact I'd feel I was doing something a lot more wrong if I turned Aging on to let an Elder die! (I'm an Elder myself, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to do that to me!! ) It's up to each of us Simmers to decide for ourselves what "cheats", mods and Maxis features we're comfortable with.

--------------------------------------- ooooooooooooooo ---------------------------------------

On a different topic, Sunbee and I seem to have discovered that the game checks the work/school hours of Sims, when selecting visitors for the Welcome Wagon. It appears to only send Sims who are available at the time. See recent posts in the What do you make of the Welcome Wagon? thread.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#8878 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 9:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Sunbee and I seem to have discovered that the game checks the work/school hours of Sims, when selecting visitors for the Welcome Wagon. It appears to only send Sims who are available at the time. See recent posts in the What do you make of the Welcome Wagon? thread.

I've suspected this for a while, as elders and pregnant women are disproportionately represented in the Wagon. Nice to have it confirmed.
Top Secret Researcher
#8879 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 11:34 PM
That may explain why the Welcome Wagon seemed to be deterministic in my test hood.
Page 356 of 356