Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#101 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 8:19 PM
I'm slowly but surely weaning myself off AM. When I first started playing, that was the only mod I used and it was a welcome change from the TS2 days where I had a different mod for every annoyance in the game (so you can imagine just how many mods that is!). I find Twallan's mods a happy medium between having 10 different mods for 10 different EA screw-ups and having one mod to rule them all. I still use/love AM but I've found with every new re-download, I disable more and more features in the config file.

I also find Twallan's mods to be more customizable whereas AM seems fitted for a certain type of player and if you're not that type, you might find a lot of the features either restricting or useless.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 8:36 PM
I can't figure out how to download twallan's mod. I went to the site, attempted to join, tried the link, nothing happened. I think I'm missing something.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/lolipopsims
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#103 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 8:38 PM
You don't have to join Twallan's site to download. I'm not registered there and the download links work fine.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#104 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 9:02 PM
I like Awesomemod. I won't play the game without it. It's that good.
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
You don't have to join Twallan's site to download. I'm not registered there and the download links work fine.

I've tried several times. It just won't download. I was able to download the read the readme, but when I try to download the story progression mod i get "internal server error."

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Field Researcher
#106 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NickeyElysse
I've tried several times. It just won't download. I was able to download the read the readme, but when I try to download the story progression mod i get "internal server error."

There's a bug with that particular attachment. There are links to mirrors that work in the Twallan's post with the description of the SP mod. Jusat above the non-working link, all written in huge bold font...
Field Researcher
#107 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NickeyElysse

There's a couple of links in bold on the first page above the usual download links - one is on 4shared & the other on MediaFire
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#108 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I disagree. I don't think it's arbitrary at all but deliberately included.
Can't it be both? Actually, something arbitrary needs to be deliberate first, doesn't it?

Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
There is a much better alternative to awesomemod.{...}
Why does it always have to be a competition? That really eludes me. Especially that it's at least partially a popularity competition is really weird IMHO. As far as I am concerned, how much you like someone shouldn't influence whether you use his/her mods. What counts is the modder's expertise and whether a mod is useful to you.

I think AwesomeMod and twallan's mods can co-exist all right. Features, scope and usability are too different to really consider them substitutes for each other.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 10:52 PM Last edited by NickeyElysse : 4th Dec 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AJH
There's a couple of links in bold on the first page above the usual download links - one is on 4shared & the other on MediaFire

I swear that was not there the last time I tried! I spent hours reading everything because I wanted to be sure what I was getting into. Well, thank you, this is exciting. I mostly want it so that I can look at other family trees, and because EA's story progression is getting stupid. Sure, people hook up and have babies on their own, but no one gets married anymore. And that's starting to bug me.

THANKS!

I'll give it a shot now.

Edit/update: It's installed now. All that's left to do is figure out how to use it. I'm so excited! *Happy dance*

I'm sure my roommate is wondering why I'm laughing and bouncing around the room. lol

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Banned
#110 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 4:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Can't it be both? Actually, something arbitrary needs to be deliberate first, doesn't it?

Why does it always have to be a competition? That really eludes me. Especially that it's at least partially a popularity competition is really weird IMHO. As far as I am concerned, how much you like someone shouldn't influence whether you use his/her mods. What counts is the modder's expertise and whether a mod is useful to you.

I think AwesomeMod and twallan's mods can co-exist all right. Features, scope and usability are too different to really consider them substitutes for each other.

I have to agree. I can't stand the assclowns over at MATY (the name itself, should tell you how lame they actually are. awesome people don't need to say they're awesome. they just are!!) but I still use AM. I used Twallans mod for a while. As far as character goes, Twallan is a good person, while the people over at MATY are clearly still living in their moms basements at 40+ years old.
Top Secret Researcher
#111 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 1:37 PM Last edited by Nalia : 5th Dec 2010 at 1:46 PM. Reason: additional comment
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
Nalia, there are some features of awesomemod that are not configurable. At least, that's the way it was when I was using the Awesome. For instance, it makes all meals the Sim knows how to prepare available regardless of time of day.

Yes, I agree, and it is still the same, if you wonder. I only wanted to pointed out that there are still lots of AM features which one can tune to one's liking.
Quote:
Not an overwhelming change, but -- like ac220 -- I prefer to play the game as coded by EA except when I don't prefer to play the game as coded by EA. The a la carte options of Pescado's TS2 mods made this possible; Awesomemod cannot.

I will also agree on the benefits of TS2 vs TS3 mods, but then again they are different games created in different engines. If you [not literally you] don't want to play the game differently than the way EAtards coded, then the discussion regarding mods does not concern you at all; therefore, you wouldn't go out of your way talking and/or asking about it. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Besides, Twallan has done an excellent job with his mods and Master Controller in particular, which is a script mod.

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.
Quote:

Actually, I am using them both. Even the shared features do not make one compensate for the other.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#112 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 2:25 PM
Why does it always have to be a competition? That really eludes me.
I have no idea why it's a competition either. They're not exclusive, and I have actually deliberately taken steps to minimize compatibility messes, which is why you can't enable AwesomeStory with Twallanian Story involved, since they would fight. If you prefer the Twallianian interpretations more, you should use AwesomeMod anyway for the fixes to horrible bugs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Field Researcher
#113 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
I will also agree on the benefits of TS2 vs TS3 mods, but then again they are different games created in different engines. If you [not literally you] don't want to play the game differently than the way EAtards coded, then the discussion regarding mods does not concern you at all; therefore, you wouldn't go out of your way talking and/or asking about it. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

The point is that not everyone wants to play it Pescado's way either, but they still may want some of the things AM does (like travel corruption fixes or story progression replacement) without all the rebalancing game mechanics to his tastes stuff. (like "death to free handouts" codes or abovementioned "eat your favorite food anytime without as much as need to plan ahead a little" change, or recent "vampire sunburn" code, just to take three random things AM does that are neither tunable nor have any justification beyond "El Presidente likes it that way".)

Before you point out, yes, there are quite a few marginal cases (like transfiguration exploit fix), yes he does allow to tune out most of really drastic changes, and of course Pescado can do whatever he likes with his own personal toy project. By the same token, everybody else has right to disagree with his vision of the "perfect TS3".

But it's indeed more of the problem with game's architecture (which originally wasn't meant to be modded at all) than with the AM as such.

P.S. I actually like AM, and literally admire Pescado's talent. That doesn't mean I have to fanboishly agree with everything he does.
Forum Resident
#114 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 3:26 PM
Quote:
neither tunable nor have any justification beyond "El Presidente likes it that way".)
I think there's more justification than that for the preparing any meal any time - it is literally possible in the real world to have pancakes at night. I eat breakfast foods for dinner occasionally. There is no logical reason for sims not to be able to do the same. Sometimes the justification is to make is a more realistic simulation.

Now I've got myself wondering if it's even possible to reheat grits. Never heard of such a thing...
Top Secret Researcher
#115 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ac220
The point is that not everyone wants to play it Pescado's way either, but they still may want some of the things AM does (like travel corruption fixes or story progression replacement) without all the rebalancing game mechanics to his tastes stuff. (like "death to free handouts" codes or abovementioned "eat your favorite food anytime without as much as need to plan ahead a little" change, or recent "vampire sunburn" code, just to take three random things AM does that are neither tunable nor have any justification beyond "El Presidente likes it that way".)

Through the years of playing The Sims I have come to understand that every and each modder/creator pre-occupy themselves with things they found interesting/logical and want in their game. If other Simmers find their mods interesting as well, all the better. Pescado is not different in this aspect. To get some of the features but not all of them it would require Pescado to work in a new mod which would include these features. Apart from his refusal to do it, there is another issue to consider: which features exactly should be included? Different people have different opinions on what they think vital for TS3, and it is this clash of opinions, I presume, that makes a generally acceptable mod nearly impossible.

Quote:
Before you point out, yes, there are quite a few marginal cases (like transfiguration exploit fix), yes he does allow to tune out most of really drastic changes, and of course Pescado can do whatever he likes with his own personal toy project. By the same token, everybody else has right to disagree with his vision of the "perfect TS3".

I never said otherwise, I never argue with people because they don't like AM as I do. I know perfectly well all is a matter of personal preference and taste.
Quote:
But it's indeed more of the problem with game's architecture (which originally wasn't meant to be modded at all) than with the AM as such.

True. If it was possible to create fixes and mods the same way it can be done for TS2 I bet Pescado, and any Pescado for that matter, would keep working on separate files.

Quote:
P.S. I actually like AM, and literally admire Pescado's talent. That doesn't mean I have to fanboishly agree with everything he does.

No one said you have to, and I believe most of us here are old enough to have our own opinion without feeling the need to apologise for it, as Mangaroo said above.
Field Researcher
#116 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
I think there's more justification than that for the preparing any meal any time - it is literally possible in the real world to have pancakes at night. I eat breakfast foods for dinner occasionally. There is no logical reason for sims not to be able to do the same. Sometimes the justification is to make is a more realistic simulation.

Sure, there's a lot of logic behind ALL of them, but it doesn't make it any less matter of author's personal tastes.

Unlike, with a geometry problem you can pick your own premises when dealing with art (like computer game design.) and logically followibng them would lead to completely different results.

There is a formal jargon to describe game design decisions like that, like GNS "theory" or "Achiever/Explorer/Socializer/Killer" system but even without those, it should be fairly obvious that different people want different (and often contradictory) things from a game. That's why we have different computer games in the first place.
Field Researcher
#117 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
I never said otherwise, I never argue with people because they don't like AM as I do. I know perfectly well all is a matter of personal preference and taste.

Then we perfectly agree on all the important stuff that matters. Sorry for misunderstanding.
Test Subject
#118 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
Now I've got myself wondering if it's even possible to reheat grits. Never heard of such a thing...

Yes! Add a bit of water and stir. Grits (and other foods) are good for breakfast AND dinner. We eat shrimp or fish and grits for either meal where I live. And who hasn't had cold pizza for breakfast, huh? The stupid food rules EA set up are stupid.
Top Secret Researcher
#119 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by helaene
Nraas is extremely responsive to both bug reports and feature requests. I've had far fewer conflicts and crashing since I stopped using AwesomeMod.

And you know what? I had a rather insignificant question about something I did not understand and Twallan answered me! No one screamed at me, called me names, or made fun of me! It was so...refreshing! I like to feel as though I can get help when I need it without having to run through hoops.
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 3:20 AM
I noticed Winterhart dislikes JMP and/or Awesomemod in his many posts. i wonder why
Test Subject
#121 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 10:17 PM
how do i install it? i have tried but i can´t

Please help me
transmogrified
retired moderator
#122 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 10:52 PM
You install Awesomemod like any other .package file. Please follow these instructions: Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Fileswiki.

If you can get other cc to work (such as the no intro mod recommended in those instructions), but not awesomemod, then you will need to go to MATY for support. If you can't get ANY .package files to work in your game, then follow the instructions in this FAQ before posting in the help section: Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Not Workingwiki.

Remember, folks: Questions about installing cc belong in Game Help. Questions about specific cc need to be directed to the content's creator, wherever you downloaded the content.
Test Subject
#123 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 9:36 PM
i got a bug that i encountered with The Awesomemod on The Sims 3

Every time when i Radar Tagged one Of The sim in Town, and if i exit and enter back to my saved game, My Sim is still there but The Icon Of The sims on the left Are Gone, The Sim Panels Are Disabled, The Current Sim Icon (the Active Sim i'am Playing) Are Gone, All The Household Funds Are Gone, and The Error Thingy Pops Up, So I Know The Game Save File is Corrupted, so I Deleted it, and Started a New One.

So I wouldn't Recommend Using The Radar Tag Thingy, It Corrupts Save Files Along With Worlds and Sims.
Page 5 of 5