Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:54 AM Last edited by Mimoliin : 29th Oct 2015 at 10:17 AM.
Default The Sims 3 Origin giveaway?
Logged on to Origin, and to my surprise, there's a new title in my library; The Sims 3. It's also marked with a shiny "NEW" -tag.

I have never played my TS3 through Origin as I own the game and all expansions on physical discs.

Anyone else who didn't previously have TS3 in their Origin library suddenly have it?

ETA: Also received the lamp in TS4 associated with owning/having registered TS3.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 3:19 PM
Yes!! I thought I was the only one! Although I still have no idea why it's there. I had never registered my Sims 3 games to Origin nor did I have them installed on my computer. (I uninstalled all of them when Sims 4 came out.)
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 6:26 PM
They may be trying to boost the slagging sales of The Sims 4. When there was a backlash against the on disc DLC that you had to pay for with Mass Effect 3 EA tried to boost sales by giving away a bunch of Mulitplayer DLC for Mass Effect 3 and a bunch of single player DLC for Mass Effect 2 to try and placate the fans without fixing any of the glitches with the game or unlocking the on disc content that was part of the story. I think they did the same thing with Battlefield 3 when Battlefield 4 got negative press too. Giving away old stuff instead of fixing the problems with the new stuff seems to be a standard tactic for EA.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 8:29 PM
Weird they don't announce it in some way, like with those annoying Origin popups;

"Hey! We added a new game to you library, because: ____ "

I'm too old to be confused xD
Instructor
#6 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:01 PM
Yeah but that is what happened with Mass Effect 3, all of the sudden without any explanation or any way of telling me when I logged on to origin to play the game with the fan made mod a bunch of the DLC for both 2 and 3 were being given away. I didn't get the ME3 stuff because it was all multiplayer but I did take the chance to download the Arival DLC which was glitched when i paid for it months before and EA refused to patch or give me a refund on, but for some reason the free version worked. Yet they still didn't fix the missions that were so glitched they could not be completed in Mass Effect 3 which you think would be easier then just giving away free stuff to try and calm people down. I mean I built a brand new PC around the specs for Mass Effect 3 and bought it on release day and yet three years latter there is still one mission that I I can't beat because EA never fixed it. Normally I would just assume EA doesn't care about bad word of mouth but giving stuff away to try and stop the bad word of mouth would seem to prove that they do care, and that leads back to the question of why they don't just patch the broken parts of games in the first place.

I don't understand EA or the modern business world at all.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:13 PM
Just the Sims 3 base game? Are they including any of EPs? That would perk my interest, since there are a few I'd like to have but don't yet.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 12:00 AM
I don't see mine
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 12:02 AM Last edited by Mimoliin : 30th Oct 2015 at 12:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lord St.Croix
Just the Sims 3 base game? Are they including any of EPs? That would perk my interest, since there are a few I'd like to have but don't yet.

Only the base game, sorry :/

Quote: Originally posted by jrcaporal
I don't see mine

Make sure it did not place itself under "hidden" games in the drop-down menu up in the left corner.

Perhaps you need to own TS2 or TS4 (on Origin) to receive TS3 for free? I've got them both on Origin.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 2:33 AM
If your disc games were registered on the original TS3 site under the same email address identified user as you have for Origin, I thought this was supposed to happen all by itself anyway. There never was any extra charge for the digital versions. Sounds more like a long running wrong has just been corrected. I bet if you right-click or mouse over the TS3 box icon, your EP/SPs will be hiding "inside."

Or there is the other, more technical explanation. In the middle of the night, Origin Gnomes run around the world randomly taking games away from players who should have them and playfully inserting them into the refrigerators accounts of those who weren't expecting to see them.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 7:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
If your disc games were registered on the original TS3 site under the same email address identified user as you have for Origin, I thought this was supposed to happen all by itself anyway. There never was any extra charge for the digital versions. Sounds more like a long running wrong has just been corrected. I bet if you right-click or mouse over the TS3 box icon, your EP/SPs will be hiding "inside."

The e-mail account I used for registering my base game got lost to hackers in 2011 (way before I created my Origin account with my current e-mail) and I really couldn't be bothered contacting EA's technical support about it. I do have a few expansion packs released during my "current mail" registered however, and they don't show in Origin - not even when asking for more information about my TS3 game (0 hours played, able to add all SPs/EPs to the cart by pressing the " + " button while in detailed information).

Such mystery. Much confusing.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 1:53 PM
Figured there was around a 50% chance of some sequence of events like that with respect to your original registration. Hence the ironclad, no one can disprove it anyway, Gnome theory.
Theorist
#13 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 7:25 PM
I own all the TS3 discs and EP's and I did register them when I installed them. However, when I got my new computer, I was too lazy to do the disc shuffle so I thought well, since it's registered on my Origin I'll just do the download there. No charge for it - Base Game and all EP's that I bought and registered showed up so I just downloaded and installed everything from Origin for this computer.

Now here's the thing, I never bought PETS and have no interest in owning that EP. But, on my Origin, its showing that I OWN the PETS EP. I've never downloaded it because as I said, I have no interest in that EP in my game so I just left it. I've asked everyone who knows that I play Sims if they gifted it and they didn't. My husband didn't because we both don't want PETS EP so it's an Origin mystery.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥