Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 11:28 PM
Default Can you change the lot value in-game?
Hiya!

So when I made my custom world I gave several of the lots negative values so the houses I built on them would be cheaper since I have a number of mods to make it harder for my sims to gain loads of money.

I've been playing the town for 15 weeks and I've needed to build more houses, however they're full price because I only changed the value of lots that had houses when the world was made, not the empty lots. So I've noticed sims aren't moving into them because they can't afford to and I try to meddle as little as possible so I don't wanna manually move all the townies around whenever they complain they can't move (i've had two married couples unable to find a house now).

I was wondering if there was a way, or a mod, to change the lot value in-game like you can in CAW so I can cheapen the new houses I build. I like to fully furnish them because I often visit other sims, go to parties etc so all the houses are nice but that means they're all a good 30,000k at the MINIMUM.
I noticed a "depreciate" option in nraas master controller however it doesn't seem to be working...it'll ask me to enter a % and then the popup will just show the exact same number - ie it goes from 33,779 to 33,779 so it's not actually changing the value.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 7:50 AM
Not sure without seeing exactly what you are, but if the MC Depreciate command doesn't seem to be doing anything it may the case that the lot is already fully depreciated.

Another way to approach this would be to use a mod like NRaas Story Progression's Money module or perhaps this one to allow other sims to own these lots as landlord and the ones who are just starting out can be renters instead of purchasers until they progress more. A certain amount of coaxing and manually forcing sims to move around to suitable housing might still in many cases be required though, at least in the beginning of setting up such structures, if the sims don't find out about them on their own.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
I was wondering if there was a way, or a mod, to change the lot value in-game like you can in CAW so I can cheapen the new houses I build. I like to fully furnish them because I often visit other sims, go to parties etc so all the houses are nice but that means they're all a good 30,000k at the MINIMUM.

This doesn't specifically cover what you are looking for, but have you considered making some starting housing as Late Night style apartments/duplexes? They tend to be cheaper (since sims don't pay for anything outside their apartments/housing units.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Not sure without seeing exactly what you are, but if the MC Depreciate command doesn't seem to be doing anything it may the case that the lot is already fully depreciated.

Another way to approach this would be to use a mod like NRaas Story Progression's Money module or perhaps this one to allow other sims to own these lots as landlord and the ones who are just starting out can be renters instead of purchasers until they progress more. A certain amount of coaxing and manually forcing sims to move around to suitable housing might still in many cases be required though, at least in the beginning of setting up such structures, if the sims don't find out about them on their own.

I did end up doing this, actually. I figured hey the town's baron owns freaking everything else so I pushed him to own the new ones I've built. It's a smaller amount of meddling as far as I'm concerned than going into Edit Town and moving sims around.

& I don't think it's that they're fully depreciated....but maybe they're too new to depreciate? would that be it? although I tried it on one of the houses that's been there the entire 15 weeks and that one also wouldn't depreciate so I really don't know...

Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
This doesn't specifically cover what you are looking for, but have you considered making some starting housing as Late Night style apartments/duplexes? They tend to be cheaper (since sims don't pay for anything outside their apartments/housing units.

I guess that's an option. I tend to avoid playing apartments at all costs because they're always so laggy for me. But maybe if I built it like a house it'd be less so. I'd worry about the game generating random sims to fill the other rooms though which I don't want because I keep a spreadsheet of everyone in the town and have any/all immigration turned off.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
I guess that's an option. I tend to avoid playing apartments at all costs because they're always so laggy for me. But maybe if I built it like a house it'd be less so. I'd worry about the game generating random sims to fill the other rooms though which I don't want because I keep a spreadsheet of everyone in the town and have any/all immigration turned off.

On the LN apartment structure, the game doesn't generate sims to populate the NPC-only units. It uses homeless Role and Service Sims that would otherwise go off the map to hibernate when their services are not required and has them hibernate in the darkened out areas of these buildings instead to give the illusion of a busy apartment building. If you have more LN NPC units than you have homeless sims to fill them, the remainder just go empty. Or at least that has been my experience.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2020 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
On the LN apartment structure, the game doesn't generate sims to populate the NPC-only units. It uses homeless Role and Service Sims that would otherwise go off the map to hibernate when their services are not required and has them hibernate in the darkened out areas of these buildings instead to give the illusion of a busy apartment building. If you have more LN NPC units than you have homeless sims to fill them, the remainder just go empty. Or at least that has been my experience.

Oh, if it won't generate said homeless sims then I might try this option. I don't mind the already existing service sims moving in.
I've just had my third newly married couple complain they couldn't find a house. The popup said something about nothing in their budget but the guy is the son of the baron and I'm like uh dude you have over $300,000 how the frick is nothing in your budget? & she had about $40,000 herself. Wondering if there's something glitched there.