Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 6:55 PM
Default Is it worth creating content?
Hey! I have been away from modthesims for a really long time. All of my uploads on my profile are from The Sims 2!!!! Anywho, I have returned to the site still as a lot builder and I was wondering if there was still a good following for The Sims 3? I have been to the upload section and I see that stuff is still being uploaded there but I was wondering if it was worth it or if I should save up some money and get The Sims 4?

I'm back!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 7:49 PM
That's completely up to you. It's all according to which game you feel you'll get more enjoyment out of, even if that mostly/completely encompasses building.

TS4 is the newest game so naturally it's going to have the larger, currently active base. TS3's userbase is nowhere near tiny though and still every bit as active as TS4. Most people will tell you that TS4 has the best build mode, but I don't necessarily agree with this. It's the most streamlined so it's in essence easier to do what you want. TS3's build mode has a bigger learning curve, but if you've built extensively for TS2, even in the past, then TS3 will be much the same. And I personally think the flexibility offered by Create a Style (CASt) in TS3 outweighs any potential benefit TS4's build mode could have. It's also likely never to have this feature at this point in its lifespan.

As I said, in the end it's up to you and what you feel you'll personally enjoy more and get more out of.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Scholar
#3 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 7:50 PM
Is it worth it how? The majority of people who make things seem to do it because they want the item they are making and are kind enough to share. If you measure worth by the amount of downloads you get then it will all depend on what you make.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Is it worth it how? The majority of people who make things seem to do it because they want the item they are making and are kind enough to share. If you measure worth by the amount of downloads you get then it will all depend on what you make.

What I meant by this question is if the player base was still substantial for The Sims 3 since The Sims 4 is the newer game. It will always be worth it to make content for others. That is why I created content so many years ago. I just didn't know of the user base.

I'm back!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
That's completely up to you. It's all according to which game you feel you'll get more enjoyment out of, even if that mostly/completely encompasses building.

TS4 is the newest game so naturally it's going to have the larger, currently active base. TS3's userbase is nowhere near tiny though and still every bit as active as TS4. Most people will tell you that TS4 has the best build mode, but I don't necessarily agree with this. It's the most streamlined so it's in essence easier to do what you want. TS3's build mode has a bigger learning curve, but if you've built extensively for TS2, even in the past, then TS3 will be much the same. And I personally think the flexibility offered by Create a Style (CASt) in TS3 outweighs any potential benefit TS4's build mode could have. It's also likely never to have this feature at this point in its lifespan.

As I said, in the end it's up to you and what you feel you'll personally enjoy more and get more out of.

I am fairly well versed with building in The Sims 3 as it is very similar to The Sims 2 so I may just stick with The Sims 3 for content creation. Thank you for your insight!

I'm back!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by macm09
I am fairly well versed with building in The Sims 3 as it is very similar to The Sims 2 so I may just stick with The Sims 3 for content creation. Thank you for your insight!

No problem! Happy building.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well you shouldn't just build for others, you build for yourself. And if you enjoy building in Sims, Sims 3 engine is vastly superior to Sims 2, so you can build so much more in Sims 3, various ways, techniques, etc... that the Sims 2 engine cannot do.

Oh I do enjoy building for myself that is why I started playing The Sims again but this time with The Sims 3. I am still in love with lot building and would love to continue sharing my creations with the community!

I'm back!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 2:59 AM
I understand the need to see if there still really is a community there at this and various other points. Would it help to know that we are still racking up millions of downloads of NRaas mods per year? Someone, somewhere is still playing this game and they are probably looking for fresh content right this minute.

Now as expected we've had some wiseguys come forward and say they were responsible for all of the downloading but just keep forgetting that they had or where they've put the files, and we can't track unique players when logins aren't required to obtain the mods. But I kind of proved a while ago that such a scenario isn't very likely unless these small numbers of players did nothing but download plus or minus a few potty breaks and a couple of naps for the past two years in a row.

And of course not all TS3 players are NRaas mod users or require new downloads of the mods very often, so there must be at least a few more out there as well.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 6:50 PM
IMO you should always create mods based on what you want, for yourself first and foremost.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 15th Oct 2021 at 1:58 PM
Of course it worths. I was happy to recolour paintings with an appropriate theme for my library.
Sharing isn't truly worth, a lot of people never download your stuffs.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.