Replies: 4104 (Who?), Viewed: 129854 times.
Page 158 of 165
Mad Poster
#3926 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 12:37 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Aug 2020 at 6:11 PM.
I'm so glad I don't have a fear of dentists... I tend to get quite chatty with them. Found a great dentist office in town, and so far I've tried out two of the dentists (both very nice), and I've heard nice things about the third one. Apparently there's some strange dentists in town, though. Glad I haven't had to go to one of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
I was given liquid Tylenol, which did absolutely nothing.

Tylenol (paracetamol) is one of those things that either works or doesn't work for pain (of various kinds, mind). It may not be very effective on toothaches. I stopped using it when I realized it barely works on me for anything, and I often ended up having to take a lot more than I was comfortable with. Of course, it works fine for a lot of other people, and it could be they still work for other types of pain than what I took them for, but if I'm in pain I want to use something I know will be effective.

My dentist gave me somewhat stronger ibuprofen than regular over-the-counter when I had a tooth pulled last year. They're anti-inflammatory and reduce swelling and pain a bit more effectively than paracetamol (especially if the latter doesn't work). I use it as my go-to pain meds because they seem reduce the cause of the pain instead of covering it over, so I always end up using far less than back when I used paracetamol. I barely had any issues after the pulled tooth, and the pain disappeared after a few days (the pain wasn't even close to what I'd thought it could end up being - the toothache before pulling was so much worse than after). Anyway, if you need something effective and can use it, Ibuprofen can be worth a try (whether it's fine to use it may depend on other medications you're taking and diseases or health risks and all that, because they're NCAIDs and not risk free, but then again, not even Paracetamol is...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I am sorry for those that lose their homes to hurricanes, but there has to be a point where somebody says that it is time to stop the insanity. If a house is taken down 5 times or whatever, by a hurricane, because of where it is built, just maybe that is Mother Nature's way of saying "Stop building here!"

So true! Of course someone can be really unlucky once or twice, but if the place or the house is unsafe the 3rd or 5th time over, maybe it's time to rebuild somewhere safer. Maybe somewhere in a place that isn't in a flood zone or hurricane zone... It's probably a good idea to do a bit of research, too. You know, figuring out what kind of weather to expect before deciding where to live.

We have places that have really nice, sunny summers with little to no rain... where if it does rain, and rains a lot so rivers or streets overflow, you need a boat to get around - and no, it doesn't get the "Venice experience" with raincoats and plastic motor boats (not too often, but it happens maybe once or twice a year). I think I occasionally prefer the no-flood but a bit on the heavy rain coastal town, because the entire sea level needs to rise with several meters above high-rise before you start getting your toes wet anywhere around here, and most of the town is built well up from the sea level anyway.

Actual hurricanes are rare here, but now and again they do appear. Last time we had a bad one it stole a few roof shingles (? I don't know what they're called) from our house, but not much else. Storms frequently steal trampolines and garden furniture (if those haven't been secured properly).
Scholar
#3927 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 3:02 AM
I want to go hide.
My freezer broke. It's summer. Now my garbage can is full of hot rotten stuff and stinks very badly. It's out in the street, by the sidewalk for pickup tomorrow. Folks go for a stroll because Covid-19, and I got the most stinky can in town. I want to go hide. It stinks more than the new Sims 4 Game pack that comes out September 8th.
And tomorrow morning I get to clean the can. I'm gonna barf. I just know it.

Sims are better than us.
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#3928 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 3:36 PM
Later at Emmet's house...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3929 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 3:48 PM
Keeping a eye on the Atlantic with one of the 'storm chasers' I listen to this time of year because there isn't enough going on.  I'm ready for few months worth of boring.  Anybody else up for some boring?

This one 'storm chaser' who doesn't like to be called that, likes getting into and explaining the science of hurricanes.  I find hurricanes in and of themselves interesting as all of them are different.  Some are big, some are small. Some move fast which is always welcomed, others chug along at a sloths pace and so on.  Then there is how hurricanes alter the heat index of the ocean. As hurricanes move, they churn up the ocean which leaves trails, pools or large areas of water cooler than what the water temp was before the hurricane.

If anybody is interested in what I'm talking about, you can see it here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_m9Bn7weI8

The other storm chaser I follow doesn't get into the details of hurricanes, but when he's live and in the thick of things, he does advise people what they need to do if a tornado warning pops up ( get in a bath tub or in a inner space of a house that doesn't have windows) or how to protect themselves from high wind.  Protect your head, use a mattress or something like a mattress to protect the rest of the body, stay away from windows, and for the love of all things, stay away from water as much as possible. 9 out of 10 people die from drowning from a hurricane. These deaths are completely avoidable. Running outside to see if a person can be blown over by 100-plus mile per hour winds while stuff is flying through the air like projectiles which could impale a person is not advised; even though the people Weather Channel make it seem like a good time for the dare devil-type.  A rant for another day....

I don't feel like doing anything so I'm stalling by talking about nothing.  House chickens needs baths and a blow dry which is always more fun for them than it is for me.

~ You need StarWars TRADEMARK Journey to Baboo for My First Pet Stuff because your hamster can be a Jedi~
I stole this line from a YT video comment. Cheers to the person that said it.
Scholar
#3930 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 9:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
I haven't seen Sanicur or UniCura (not sure if they're available in Europe?). Palmolive are nearly always perfumed/scented. Haven't tried Sanex. But I've found a brand that has both soap and shower gel that works fine (called "Neutral" - European brand, I think?). When I stopped using all those scented/perfumed shower gels, and switched over to sensitive detergents too, my skin got a bit better. My hands are still problematic, but mostly because of work (healthcare... If the labels say it's "for sensitive skin", my hands still dry out, and the sanitizers are nearly always the runny ones with too little glycerol).

I have the kind of hands that seemingly look fine on first glance if I've just had an average amount of hand washing (and preferably little to no hand sanitizer), but the skin on my palms kind of feels stiff because the skin is always a bit dry (despite using a proper hand cream, which does help a bit, just not enough). Couple days with more hand hygiene than average (work or other reasons), and it's bad again. If it's cold and dry during winter my hands detect it before I've even gone outside, and if I do go outside, my hands tend to crack up like an egg. I'm starting to get a weather-detecting body, and I'm only in my 30s...

I've tried "neutral" deos, but honestly those are awful and don't seem to do any kind of job. That's pretty much the only place I can handle a bit of perfume. I've found a brand with a couple of mild(ish) flowery scents that I like, and doesn't cause itching from here to the moon, and it does the job it's supposed to be doing (goodness only knows how many I've been through to find this one).

(Dudette )

Did some googling: Sanicur (Royal Sanders), website implies products are only sold in The Netherlands, Belgium, and England. They own Odorex and a shower gel brand with exactly 1 soap I can use without nausea. UniCura (ColgatePalmolive) but their US and Dutch websites pretend its not real so I dunno if its a thing in other countries. Neutral (Unilever) has nice deo, but its not very helpful in summer compared to other deos that don't try and kill you. Price wise, the roll on deo (same format as Dove) is 50ml for €4,49 and shower gel 250ml for €4,39. My maths says no, but maybe its different if you can bulk buy (that's not really a thing here except online and even then its sometimes a lie). Most labling is lies, like "new and improved" is always a significant decline.

Having sensitive skin and a sensitivity to fragrances is super inconvenient, because it's unavoidable and rude to us with the problem. I want to smell like a mango or a ginger biscuit too, but the insides and outsides say no. Anyways, when my hands do the thing in winter, I dampen them, drown them in vaseline (the petrolium jelly thing cos apparently my hands itch and get drier with their lotions) stuff my hands in sandwich bags and put them inside a pair of socks. Its feels icky but it helps especailly after cycling in the wind and rain. Also wear gloves as much as you can, whether its household gloves or wooly ones. In the last few years I basically wear gloves outside from like October to May even if I don't really need to and found that it helps. I want leather gloves now but they never have my size.

Everyone is a dude. That reciept? A dude. The carton of milk in the fridge? A dude. Your grandma? Well, she's your dude too
Mad Poster
#3931 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 10:20 PM
(As long as I don't have to grow a beard, cause I don't think I can do that )

Not sure if it's the same Neutral brand - haven't seen it as deo. I bought cotton mittens at some point, but no idea where those went. I do use a thick hand cream just before I go to bed, so it can work during night (and after work or else if I need it). Glycerol and similar hand cream blends sometimes work better in winter, haven't tried vaseline but would imagine that could work too (has a lot of uses). Anything else and with perfume doesn't work much.
Scholar
#3932 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 1:41 PM
So, it's 2 AM and you can't get back to sleep. Worried about the weather, riots, covid, the broken stuff around the house, the kids, the future... all that is going through your head.
How to get back to sleep:
1) Shower.
2) Get dressed
3) Make a cuppa joe.
4) Start to play the sims 4.
5) Watch sims rock, and knit.
You can't stay awake! works every time for me.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#3933 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 4:20 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 29th Aug 2020 at 4:52 PM.
My dad is doing a shopping spree for farm stand veggies today and as for me...

Trying to come up with names for my 4 fan Guardians for my Juuban, Tokyo world in the Sims 3 and I decided they will NOT be confined to Japanese as I was going to go with an exchange student theme (Naoko said they had to be female, she didn't say they had to be Japanese.)

Each would come from the country their planet's name originated from. So with Eris, Haumea, Make-Make & Sedna (for ethnicities that share the name, this will require more study for origin. I really don't like the idea I put little thought into the work. I don't like being seen as sloppy!) So Greece (Eris), Hawaii, USA (Haumea); and New Zealand (Make-Make). I'm on the fence on whether to make Sailor Sedna a Inuit Canadian or one of the Inuit of Greenland.

Edit: Since most of Greenland recognizes Sedna under a number of names, I decided to make her an Inuit of Greenland. I should have been more perceptive.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Scholar
#3934 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 5:23 PM
Kind of meh. Weather is being fussy and I don't really feel like getting out of my pjs at all so a lazy day it will be
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3935 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 6:39 PM
The humidity is back, blech.  The moisture from now post tropical storm Laura is being dragged towards and up the coast.  Some humidity is good, too much of it is terrible.  I'm more than ready to pack up the air conditioners and dehumidifier.  Even though I hang up most laundry to dry as a means of preventing a ridiculous electric bill, it was still ridiculous last month because of the air conditioners which I leave set at 75 degrees.

I'm in the mood to do something, but I don't know what. I've been thinking about buying a coarse on how to draw as all I can draw are doodles and stick figures. It's $9.99 for a PDF file, I can handle that.  It is something quiet to do, doesn't involve a computer / internet and I can listen to a audiobook which I have been neglecting for the past few days.  There is no reason for that other than I have too many things rolling around in my brain; most of which it beyond my control and I can't do anything about them.

~ You need StarWars TRADEMARK Journey to Baboo for My First Pet Stuff because your hamster can be a Jedi~
Mad Poster
#3936 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 8:01 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 30th Aug 2020 at 6:22 AM.
Been saving up money for a gaming laptop, a Surface Pro 7 with a Keyboard and Pen and a shopping spree to buy CDs through a secondhand CD shop online.

Once I received a package from Finland, they wrapped the CDs in Finnish supermarket circulars and it was a CD marketed throughout the Nordic region.

My only gripe is I can no longer afford to pay for wants in installments like a credit card, even though I never defaulted on a payment after the adjustment to allow for breathing room in my government pocket money.

Only time I pay in installments nowadays is for needs like my eyeglasses, which I lost my teal ones...and my parents say I look good in them. This upcoming pay day is my last payment for the two frames. My parents and I went halfsies for this set. Usually I pay for the entirety, over the course of a few months. Took me two months this year and half the grand total.

Most of my lessons with money weren't easy. I was taking a class in high school... writing checks. Nobody writes checks anymore unless cash is a liability. The class was cut short due to budget. (irony of it all.)

P.S. If you like My Hero Academia, check out Disney's Sky High. Same plot, different medium.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3937 Old 30th Aug 2020 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 30th Aug 2020 at 11:54 PM.
I write checks every month, I like paper trails. There are two places I don't send checks to.

First is my utility company as they fail to process them properly which leads to them barking at me about how I underpaid when actually, they didn't apply the right check to the right bill. i.e- If my electric bill is $100.00 and my gas bill is $50.00, they take the $50.00 and apply it to the electric bill therefore creating a 'shortage' on the electric bill.  To avoid this bullshit, I call payments in.

The other place I don't send checks to is my mortgage company.  They like to sit on checks instead of doing the responsible thing and applying them to accounts when they are received.   I went through the crap of getting a phone calls twice within a year  with threats of 'destroying my credit' because they didn't want to do their job. After filing a complaint and all proof that said payments were signed for by mortgage company employees, I've been calling in "One time payments" ever since then.

Said mortgage company has been fined millions of dollars for all the bullshit they have imposed on customers.  Same mortgage company still has yet to pay off their balance from when they got a taxpayer bailout in 2008.

Credit cards are evil. Why anybody would want to pay interest on stuff is beyond me; but this is the world we live in. People think they got a great deal when they can pay 40% interest on the $100.00 toilet they bought. 

EDIT: Things are brewing in the Atlantic.  People need to stop using gas-powered generators indoors or in closed spaces such as a garage with the door closed.  This never ends well. People die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHC_Atla...6090497/photo/1

For those that want more details... https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Mad Poster
#3938 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 4:46 PM
@Gargoyle Cat, I was learning mostly the continuity of paying in installments more than the use of credit cards. Do you think my family would actually be heartless to upcharge interest on someone with little money to work with each month?

Personally, the money the government gives me is not even worth the paper\linen hybrid it's printed on. I only accept it because it's all they'll give or nothing at all. I actually get a thrill from the end of year COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) letters, and though it's a small percentage, I take it.

As much as I treat money as a multi tool...Keep in mind that from this point forward, I will be saving towards computer parts as part of my job.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3939 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 5:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
@Gargoyle Cat, I was learning mostly the continuity of paying in installments more than the use of credit cards. Do you think my family would actually be heartless to upcharge interest on someone with little money to work with each month?

Where is this coming from? I didn't say anything about your family charging you interest. 

Mad Poster
#3940 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 7:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Where is this coming from? I didn't say anything about your family charging you interest. 

Credit cards usually charge interest.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3941 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 7:39 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 31st Aug 2020 at 7:59 PM.
Yes, credit cards charge interest which is what I said.  Somehow my saying as much translated into... never mind.  I'm not in the mood for mental gymnastics today.

EDIT: Credit card, interest rates....not all of them. 

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-...ws/rate-report/

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3942 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 3:17 PM
I slept for a change.  I still feel completely annoyed by everything and anything; oh well.  I'm getting used to living with such feelings.

Most of the stuff I ordered last week has been showing up in dribs and drabs.  One of the things I have been waiting for since Friday was finally delivered, yesterday... most of it anyway. It isn't anything exciting; it is substrate for the tortoise enclosures.  The livingroom is going to be covered in a layer of dust after I finish this post. The vacuum is going to need to be cleaned when I'm done as I don't want coconut shell dust being spread all over the house. I digress.

I'm short a bag of said substrate; I ordered 4, 3 came yesterday. The forth bag is on its way. Why they were not shipped all together as the bags are not heavy, I have no idea.  I guess they were shipped from different places as that's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. I'll deal with the 3 bags I have and use the 4th bag if it is needed when it gets here. After I'm done with that, the chinchilla's mess needs to be dealt with and from there, I think I'm going to on on a general cleaning bender.  Wash all the floors, get out the steamer and do the outside part of the window sills as they look like somebody threw mud on them.

I've spent the past year doing this window sill task with a old toothbrush, a non-toxic cleaner, elbow grease and use containers of hot water to rinse everything when I'm done. I could have spared myself lots of time and energy if I just used the steam cleaner instead. Why do things the easy way when I can do them the hard way.

Not only do I annoy the masses, I also annoy myself.  If nothing else, I'm consistent.

Mad Poster
#3943 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 3:49 PM
Hanging out in a (hospital, kind of) hotel room... Not particularly fun due to having to stay for a while longer than anticipated. Scheduling stuff apparently isn't easy, but come on! Over a day of (most likely) nothing to do?

At least I brought some entertainment, and I have a room to myself.
Mad Poster
#3944 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 10:43 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 2nd Sep 2020 at 6:19 PM.
Today, my father and I are waging war against the ants sneaking into the hermitage!

At 15:07, I alerted him about a fugitive who dropped from the flood light fixture in the ceiling.

At 16:12, I received a response and informed of the incident. Our next plan of attack: attach a trap to the ceiling.

09/02/2020
Today was another agonizing day in therapy. I tried to cut it short to a 30 minute session because it seemed to circle back to "Call your (special doctors) back and fix the problem." and was able to cut it short. I have so many doctors to call back after 1:00PM.

That's about as much I was going to share. Besides, I agonized over this one for a week.

I also have packages awaiting delivery. Mostly wires, pencils, pens, cases for the writing tools, small manual pencil sharpener (I have a few sets that require hand-sharpening as they're on the expensive side per pencil.) and a 50,000 mAh power bank for my video game handhelds.

I have more things coming in the mail.

I ended up having to get things sorted. This is what happens to me if I don't clean sooner than later.

Mad Poster
#3945 Old 3rd Sep 2020 at 4:26 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Sep 2020 at 4:42 PM.
BOOOOOOORED!!!! (Miss my laptop... )

Nothing but waiting for this and waiting for that. Spent most of 3 hours sitting in waiting areas, staring at the wall, wondering if they'd forgotten me (next time I bring a book, food, and water, cause the water dispensers I remembered had all been removed probably due to pandemic2020, and I almost missed lunchtime with less than 20 minutes to spare, and over 9 hours between meals if skipping it... )
Field Researcher
#3946 Old 3rd Sep 2020 at 10:13 PM
Lessee.... Lost a chicken a few weeks ago. My poor Peaches has had a dirty bum ever since her fox attack when she lived with my aunt several years ago. I keep up on it, but this year it was so hot and nasty that she had flystrike, twice. This last one was so bad (it can go from "meh" to "oh GAWD" in like, hours!) that I was unable to save her and had to... do the thing. She was 6, and it was absolutely heartbreaking to do, but no vets here for chickens and it was honestly, too bad to fix. Skin would not have grown back. So I'm down to 5 hens. During this, we had torn up the kitchen floor (and noted the subflooring was 5 days younger than me. XD 7/8/75 holy crap that's old) and fixed the holes, then waited TWO WEEKS for the new floor to come in. People are remodeling and fixing their houses like mad up here, and I'm not upset one single bit. It's beautiful to see all the work going on, even if lumber and stuff has gone up a significant amount. So, new floor down, wicked happy with that.

Health wise doing good -had the lovely heart PET scan (wheee! Heart go vroom vroom me gonna puke) and it was normal. Pissin off my cardiologist ALL the time. heh. Getting the kid ready for in-person school - there was the option of remote learning, which I'd rather we did, but if I chose that first and then changed my mind (because I was losing it teaching him at home ha ha) I wouldn't be able to get him transport.

Just watching the world go nuts around us and seeing all the hate gives me the anxiety bad, so I've been staying off the computer for the most part, and interacting more with the small group of actual live people (!!!!!) that I have been since the proverbial poo hit the fan.

Also, I have way too much zucchini. Gardens have been NUTS this year. NUTS.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Scholar
#3947 Old 3rd Sep 2020 at 10:14 PM
Annoyed at myself. Every time I buy me something that's non food or public transport related I feel guilty. I'm not buying anything unreasonably priced nor am I buying something that is not going to last me a while. The money I have it to be used on these things so that I don't need to appear in front of the parents to be like gimmie every time I buy something. Why should I feel like I've made a mistake when I literally only spent €2,50 on a shiny metal hairband? It's not even post purchase dissonance or whatever because these aren't impulse buys (assuming I remember my econ right). So stupid
Test Subject
#3948 Old 3rd Sep 2020 at 10:30 PM
pretty good, i just found out i have to get a new ATV, and i gotta pee. but lifes good.
Mad Poster
#3949 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 9:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenMadam

Also, I have way too much zucchini. Gardens have been NUTS this year. NUTS.

We have too many cucumbers! I signed up for a Poverty Produce Program and we have a backlog of cucumber!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3950 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 3:38 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 4th Sep 2020 at 5:19 PM.
Annoyed

I put in a Prime Pantry order on Aug 27.  I've been checking on this order as it should have been here days ago. This morning I check the status on it; I'm given a message that my package has been lost. Under that message was a button to request a refund. Instead of sending a request for said refund, I got a message telling me to check on Friday.

Why the frick would I check tomorrow when they already told me that my package was lost. UGH! This stupid virus needs to go away so I don't have to deal with asshole Jeff Bezos any more. Anyway,I had to call them to get my refund. 

FYI:  If anybody finds themselves in this same situation, don't put up with Amazon's bullshit. Call them and get your refund.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that today is Friday.  I'm not going to bother fixing the above because I don't care; there are bigger things to worry about.  All my days mush together, I never know what day it is unless I look it up.

Page 158 of 165