Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotAdjuster 2.8 (Updated Jan 31, 2010)

by Mootilda Posted 19th Apr 2008 at 4:40 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:31 PM by Nysha

488 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 479 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 20
Lab Assistant
#151 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 5:23 PM
Default Here are some screenshots of lots modified with the LA
These are all pre-existing lots which I have successfully modified with LA so that they look more like what I was originally aiming for when I created them. I think the results speak for themselves and so far, I have had no problems whatsoever with this great tool.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#152 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Are you running the LotAdjuster from the same directory that has the SimPE DLLs, all extracted from the zip file? If the program and DLLs are all in the same directory, then it is easier for Windows to find the correct versions of the DLLs. If you try to run the EXE directly from the zip file, then Windows may not be able to find the DLLs.

If you have created a shortcut to run the program, then you should make sure that the "Start in" directory is pointing to the directory which contains the extracted DLLs.

Do you have XP SP3? At least one person has reported an issue after installing SP3.

this was, in fact, exactly the issue. thank you so much for the assistance; i can't wait to start using the program.
Test Subject
#153 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 9:17 PM
What is the Windows thing we have to download?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#154 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 10:10 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 17th Jun 2008 at 3:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by batguy93
What is the Windows thing we have to download?
Are you talking about the Microsoft .NET Framework? It's a bit of computer code which MS created to make programming faster and easier for casual programmers, by allowing us to use their code for many common functions instead of writing our own.

Of course, there are tradeoffs. For one thing, .NET restricts programs so that they will only run under Windows. (MS is unlikely to want to help people program for the Mac.)

Hope this answers your question.
Mad Poster
#155 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 5:52 PM
batguy93,

If you meant Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, may check out the Requirements section of the beginning post by seeking your self, using find/search/etc with the section name or else if not yet...

If you meant the winXP SP3, that is an upgrade for the operating system windows XP to be "more up-to-date" or "more ready for the coming needs"

If you meant something else, may tell more...
Site Helper
Original Poster
#156 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 11:41 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 18th Jun 2008 at 3:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by niol
batguy93,
If you meant the winXP SP3, that is an upgrade for the operating system windows XP to be "more up-to-date" or "more ready for the coming needs"
Please note: .NET 2.0 is required to run the LotAdjuster.

I do NOT recommend downloading and installing Window XP SP3.
Lab Assistant
#157 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 7:47 PM
I know this has been out for a while. I downloaded it about a month or two ago. But I never had any problems till I installed Pets. Not sure if this is the right place to report something minor is wrong, but here it is. All Pets are fine except Large Dogs that you own. Stray dogs it doesnt happen to. The only problem is they get "stuck" in the ground or the house. Even if there needs are very very low, they still will not eat. I had to use the maxmotive cheat a couple of times just to keep it alive. So I had to put it up for adoption. I first thought it was the house I downloaded, so I used a lot that came with the game and used LotAdjuster, and it still happened. Its no big deal to me, because it doesnt affect strays, or cats. I have all EPs except BV, so that should matter either, right? Just thought you would want to know. Thanks for the great download. I love it. Now I can live in any house and still have a yard.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#158 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tonya1026
All Pets are fine except Large Dogs that you own. Stray dogs it doesnt happen to. The only problem is they get "stuck" in the ground or the house. Even if there needs are very very low, they still will not eat.
Thanks for the problem report. I'll take a look and see whether I can reproduce this problem.
Lab Assistant
#159 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 4:16 PM
Since you asked for what search terms people were using to find this--

I googled for: sims change lot size
Which led me here as the third result: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1372517
Which then led me here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1747180
Which then led me to this page. ^^;

I know you can't control google, but I thought this might help anyway....
Test Subject
#160 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by foodstamps
Has anyone come across this error message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to contine. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Could not load file or assembly 'simpe.package, Version=1.0.2990.38590, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Now, I don't know much when it comes to mod programs, but I would assume that this is telling me that there is an issue with simpe, however I can load up SimPE without any problems.

Has anyone gotten this to work on XP x64 I have XP x64 I can run SimPE fine but when I run this and click start I get the same error as above I have no problem with SimPE and yes I am running .net 2.0
Site Helper
Original Poster
#161 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:26 PM
Is there any way to ensure that you are running the LotAdjuster as a 32-bit application, using the 32-bit .NET framework?
Test Subject
#162 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 11:07 PM
I've become, in a very short time, completely addicted to this tool!
Test Subject
#163 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 8:04 AM
Is there any way to ensure that you are running the LotAdjuster as a 32-bit application, using the 32-bit .NET framework?

only way I know of is compatablity mode but the 32-bit .net 2.0 will not install on x64 only the 64 bit installs I tried it under windows 2000 and windows xp compatability mode same error
Field Researcher
#164 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 10:55 PM
this is brillaint ty ^.~ just stood on back row seats to insure it didnt cause crashes because i'd hate to loose my simmy's lol! but thanks again x
Lab Assistant
#165 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 6:52 PM
This is great, but is there going to be an update so it will work with K&B & IKEA, or is it still safe to use with them installed?
Alchemist
#166 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 12:20 AM
I haven't downloaded it yet, but has anyone tried it with Vista yet. The known problems area says "sometimes doesn't work with Vista". Has anyone tested yet?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#167 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 3:43 PM
Default Kitchen and Bath; Ikea
Quote: Originally posted by ang41187
This is great, but is there going to be an update so it will work with K&B & IKEA, or is it still safe to use with them installed?
My understanding is that EA changed the way that they handle SPs, so that SPs no longer change the format of the neighborhood and lot packages. This means that it should be safe to use with K&B and Ikea.

It's pretty easy to determine whether it works. Just backup your neighborhood and try it. If the LotAdjuster refuses to work, or if the game has problems with the modified lots, let me know and I'll fix it. The warnings are mainly for people who don't backup before running the LotAdjuster.

Sorry that I can't test it myself. I've got both of the new SPs, but I also got a brand new machine and I haven't got The Sims 2 installed yet.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#168 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 3:56 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 5th Jul 2008 at 4:03 PM.
Default Vista
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I haven't downloaded it yet, but has anyone tried it with Vista yet. The known problems area says "sometimes doesn't work with Vista". Has anyone tested yet?
Yes, people have tried it with Vista. It works for some people and doesn't work for others.

There's no harm in downloading and trying it, since the LotAdjuster will either refuse to work, or it will work just fine... in either case, it's not going to harm your neighborhood. Of course, you should always backup... just in case.

The problem has nothing to do with the LotAdjuster. The problem is that Microsoft's .NET runtime is refusing to load the SimPE DLLs, which the LotAdjuster requires. It would appear that there is some option which some people have on their machines which makes .NET too picky. Unfortunately, no one has been able to tell me the difference between a machine which will run the LA, and one which will not. I don't have access to a machine with Vista, so I can't reproduce the problem.

I have a couple of ideas on things that the LA can do which might solve the problem. However, they are things which will take a while to implement and there's no guarantee that they will actually work.

If you can't get the LA to run on your system, it's easy for someone else to modify your lot for you. All they need is your neighborhood package and the lot package to be modified.

For more information, see the most recent posts on the LotExpander thead:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=175884
Forum Resident
#169 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 6:53 AM
Default Can't do dirt in SS or BV
Hi Mootilda,

I have been trying to figure out how to do a dirt road with LotAdjuster. I thought I had it. I entered the lot and placed a tree on it. I then ran LotAdjuster to expand the lot over the road. I went back to the lot, removed the tree, removed the road tiles, and did a terrain paint where the road used to be. Below is a screenshot. After installing Seasons and Bon Voyage it no longer works. See second screenshot. To track down the problem I used Numenor's Base Game Starter Pro and followed the above formula for each expansion pack individually. The formula works for Base Game, NL, and OFB. I Numenor's Any Game Starter to test BG, NL, and OFB together. That also works. It does not work with SS or BV. I packaged each of the test lots. After I did all that I discovered the upgraded LotAdjuster 1.1 so I downloaded it to see if it fix the problem. It did not. I have included all the packaged lots in the hope they will help you figure out how to fix it. It just dawned on me as I was writing this that you might need the neighborhoods too. I have attached the one for BG, NL, OFB from AGS. I have also attached the individual mini-game ones for SS and BV from BGS. I hope this information is all useful. I would rather give you too much than not enough.

Thank you for your time,

Winterhart
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DirtRoadTestLots.rar (1.10 MB, 4 downloads)

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#170 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 6:57 PM
The LotAdjuster doesn't actually touch the road textures, so I suspect that this is just something that was changed in the later EPs and that it doesn't actually have anything to do with the LotAdjuster.

You might want to search the forums and downloads for information about changing your road texture. If you can't find anything, then I'd suggest that you post your question more widely.
Forum Resident
#171 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 1:03 AM
Default Poor choice of words
The LotAdjuster doesn't actually touch the road textures, so I suspect that this is just something that was changed in the later EPs and that it doesn't actually have anything to do with the LotAdjuster.

You might want to search the forums and downloads for information about changing your road texture. If you can't find anything, then I'd suggest that you post your question more widely.

Sorry, I understand that it is something different in those EP's and not a problem with LotAdjuster. I see your point about LotAdjuster not touching the road testures but I was really hoping you could find out what that difference is and maybe make LotAdjuster work the same way it does in the earlier EP's. Where would you suggest I post the question?

Thank you for your time.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#172 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
Where would you suggest I post the question?
I took a second look at what you're doing. If I understand correctly, you want to have a subset of your roads with a different texture than the default neighborhood roads. As I explained to you earlier, I don't know how to do this. Specifically, the LotAdjuster doesn't touch the road textures at all.

Sounds like you found a way to exploit some "undefined behavior" within the game to achieve your goal. I don't know whether you created this technique yourself, or whether someone else told you how to do it, but here's my understanding of how it works:
- Unlock all of the tiles on the lot using the LotAdjuster. I don't know whether expanding "over the road" is necessary or not.
- Edit the lot in-game. Delete the existing road tiles. Put the desired texture where the road should be. Save the lot and exit to the neighborhood.
- Avoid moving the lot within the neighborhood while running the game, since this will regenerate the roads on the lot and overwrite your new texture.

From what you're saying, the game used to display the pseudo-road texture from the lot, which gave you the appearance of a dirt road from the neighborhood. However, with the latest EPs, EA has changed this behavior and the game now displays the default road texture instead.

This change in behavior has nothing to do with the LotAdjuster. As far as I can tell, the LotAdjuster is only slightly relevant to this issue, because you happen to be using the LotAdjuster to unlock the road tiles.

I have no idea whether there is any way to do what you want to do. My best guess for how to get different roads with different textures in the neighborhood view is to mod the road structures within the neighborhood package.
Forum Resident
#173 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 8:05 AM Last edited by Winterhart : 9th Jul 2008 at 8:09 AM. Reason: add text
Default Tired and frustrated
[QUOTE=Mootilda]I took a second look at what you're doing. If I understand correctly, you want to have a subset of your roads with a different texture than the default neighborhood roads.

***Yes that is what I want to have.***

As I explained to you earlier, I don't know how to do this. Specifically, the LotAdjuster doesn't touch the road textures at all.

***I get it! I know that it doesn't touch the road textures at all.***

Sounds like you found a way to exploit some "undefined behavior" within the game to achieve your goal.

***Yes! there is some "undefined behavior" that involves LotAdjuster!!!***

I don't know whether you created this technique yourself, or whether someone else told you how to do it,

***I worked it out myself with many, many hours of testing***

but here's my understanding of how it works:

- Unlock all of the tiles on the lot using the LotAdjuster. I don't know whether expanding "over the road" is necessary or not.

***Expanding "over the road" is necessary. Again, I discovered this after many hours of testing.***

- Edit the lot in-game. Delete the existing road tiles. Put the desired texture where the road should be. Save the lot and exit to the neighborhood.
- Avoid moving the lot within the neighborhood while running the game, since this will regenerate the roads on the lot and overwrite your new texture.

***Yes that is how it works***

From what you're saying, the game used to display the pseudo-road texture from the lot, which gave you the appearance of a dirt road from the neighborhood.

***Yes that is absolutely right.***

However, with the latest EPs, EA has changed this behavior and the game now displays the default road texture instead.

***Yes, that is exactly what happens!!!***

This change in behavior has nothing to do with the LotAdjuster.

***The change in behavior has everything to do with how the newer EP's interact with LotAdjuster.***

As far as I can tell, the LotAdjuster is only slightly relevant to this issue, because you happen to be using the LotAdjuster to unlock the road tiles.

***This is not the case. I tried using moveobjects on, and boolProp locktiles false. I can remove the road tiles from within the lot. But no matter what I replace it with, terrain paint or floor tiles, when I leave the lot only the default road texture appears. I don't know of any other ways to remove the road tiles***

***The only way it works is when I use LotAdjuster as described above.***

I have no idea whether there is any way to do what you want to do.

***Yes there is a way to do what I want, but only using LotAdjuster as described above with the early EP's***

My best guess for how to get different roads with different textures in the neighborhood view is to mod the road structures within the neighborhood package.

***I don't know how to do that. I just spent several hours looking for road terrain mods. The ones I found and tested only alter the roads for the whole neighborhood.***

:lovestruc

You have created a great program that has some unexpected beneficial "undefined behavior" with the early EP's. I uploaded all my testing in the hope that you could see what the difference is with the new EP's.

Maybe this is a question for Numenor?

My frustration is not with you, but with my inability to communicate clearly.

Thank you for your time,

Winterhart

Mad Poster
#174 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 2:27 PM Last edited by niol : 9th Jul 2008 at 4:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart

This change in behavior has nothing to do with the LotAdjuster.

***The change in behavior has everything to do with how the newer EP's interact with LotAdjuster.***

Winterhart

Although the way you used LA for your purposes in your cases can lead to a view point like "***The change in behavior has everything to do with how the newer EP's interact with LotAdjuster.***"

But indeed, "This change in behavior has nothing to do with the LotAdjuster."

Why? That's because the sole data LA alters are [b]not[b] the data of the road texture references, and they're unrelated. LA don't alter any datum related to how the road textures are presented in-game.

Rather, the difference in how a given game version presents or draws the road textures of a lot in a neighbourhood is likely caused by the preset in a given game version.

Maybe, editting the neighbourhood files can alter only that lot road presentation in a neighbourhood or probably the whole neighbourhood... but it really depends on if it is the texture reference in the array was altered by he game version or if the game version has a setting to graphically overriding the presentation. You may be able to do something in the former while nothing to do in the latter.

May ask further question about that in the modding forum
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

or

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=250693
?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#175 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 5:10 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Jul 2008 at 6:59 PM.
Winterhart, I may have some ideas on how to achieve your goal. This is clearly going to be a long conversation. I'd prefer not to clutter up the LotAdjuster thread with something which is only peripherally related to the program. I hope that you don't mind if I move this to your thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=292381

Talk with you there.

Quote: Originally posted by niol
Although the way you used LA for your purposes in your cases can lead to a view point like "***The change in behavior has everything to do with how the newer EP's interact with LotAdjuster.***"

But indeed, "This change in behavior has nothing to do with the LotAdjuster."

Why? That's because the sole data LA alters are [b]not[b] the data of the road texture references, and they're unrelated. LA don't alter any datum related to how the road textures are presented in-game.

Rather, the difference in how a given game version presents or draws the road textures of a lot in a neighbourhood is likely caused by the preset in a given game version.
Thanks, niol. This is really the crux of the issue, but I think that it's a pretty difficult concept to grasp.

Winterhart has been using a feature of the LotAdjuster to work around a specific behavior in the game. Later EPs change that behavior and the workaround is no longer sufficient. However, it doesn't make any sense to blame the LotAdjuster for this; the LotAdjuster continues to work correctly.
Page 7 of 20