Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:30 PM
Default Leaving the game to run alone - what happens?
I know I've read threads about people or accidentally or on purpose left their TS2 sims alone to see if they'd survive, get promoted, lose the kids, etc. Just to see what would happen.

Well, I've decided to try that on a grander scale for TS3. Left for work and left my neighborhood running (at least, I think it's running when I'm on the neighborhood screen). Will see what it looks like when I get home.

Anyone else tried this?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:57 PM
I think you still need to watch them incase you get a pop up box or something. At least that is what has been said. But that is one of the things I am planning to do... maybe tomorrow when I actually get the game.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:06 PM
Yup, the game pauzes when there's a popup box (like an opportunity).

But like I posted this will happen:

Sim 1 - eats, showers, sleeps. wakes up, goes to work
Sim 2 - eats after sim 1, showers after sim 1, goes to sleep late, wakes up tired, feels miserable at work/school.
Sim 3 - doesn't get to fill all his needs before (s)he's exhausted, goes to bed, goes to work with a lot of negative moodlets.
Sim 4 to infinity - all above problems combined.

You'll have problems keeping up skills, homework, groceries etc. Cause even though there's free will, Sims will pretty much only do what they directly need. If there are short timeframe wishes Sims cant accomplish, they will also get negative moodlets. It's best to be there to click them away and promise stuff they can do.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:15 PM
I really meant more of what happens in the entire neighborhood without my influence, not just the one family. Who had kids, made enemies, etc. Probably have to leave it running for longer for that, though.

But no matter what, I don't plan on saving these changes or anything.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:38 PM
Well the neighbourhood isn't as complex as that. If time progresses babies will spawn all over the place. It's a bit silly. The neighbourhood wont create complex relationships that aren't preset.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:44 PM
The neighbourhood changes do not seem to be emergent. Friends and enemies arise from interactions between sims over time, but marriages, births, arrivals, and departures seem to be controlled by a script at the neighbourhood level. When this script generates an event, it is randomly assigned to the pool of sims. Employment looks to be controlled by scripts attached to the career rabbit holes. No sim will get a job, but a career rabbit hole will recruit random sims to fill vacancies.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:11 PM
Wow, I've never left my game alone that long! Let us know how it turns out!
Theorist
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:15 PM
its alot better than in sims2, the AI.

in sims 2 there was a few community lots where sims would just stand in the corner, looking at the wall for hours. now, in TS3, they read books, watch TV, wash their hands, talk all by themselves. If you use the 'track sim' feature you can just watch them. Its a real step-up from before.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:23 PM
Just as long as the expresso maker is not the most fun thing to use in the game... I hate having to save my sims from the hell that is 4 consecutive expressos!