Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2016 at 3:08 AM Last edited by MikeJMW55 : 29th Jul 2016 at 1:56 AM.
White Orchard - Coastal Suburban Hood - FINAL UPDATE OUT!
How's it going everyone? Currently it is 6/20/16. I have been working very, very hard on this hood as many of you know. At this point I am about 90% finished building all the lots, many of them are subject to change because I can never be happy with one thing. This hood will include:

Apartments
Retail lots owned by the sims
Fully populated with 10-20 families
Community lots including: Parks, Stores (Grocery, bakery, clothes, flower maybe, restaurants) clubs, bowling alley, etc...
Regular residential lots
and much more

If anyone is interested at all, I might release a version without apartments. Let me know if you would be interested in that. Anyways, Ive talked enough so here are some pictures. TEST V3 ON PAGE 8 POST 188

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st May 2016 at 5:00 AM
You can find tutorials on screenshots in the pictures forum.

Since cottonwood trees aren't available in the vanilla game (and I don't think I've ever seen CC ones, either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist) I wouldn't use that. Looking at it, the distinctive features are the deep indentation in the coast with the island nearly filling it, with no sign of freshwater (assuming this to be a seacoat). If working strictly from geography, something in the nature of Island Bay, Harborbridge, or Port Something springs to mind. Other things to consider when naming are the storyline you have planned (who lived here first? What kind of community is it? Atmosphere? Genre? Why do people live here?) and the atmosphere or genre you wish to evoke. If you're playing up the soap opera element of the game, you could study the place names used by real soap operas, even borrowing or riffing off of the names of actors or characters, for instance.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2016 at 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You can find tutorials on screenshots in the pictures forum.

Since cottonwood trees aren't available in the vanilla game (and I don't think I've ever seen CC ones, either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist) I wouldn't use that. Looking at it, the distinctive features are the deep indentation in the coast with the island nearly filling it, with no sign of freshwater (assuming this to be a seacoat). If working strictly from geography, something in the nature of Island Bay, Harborbridge, or Port Something springs to mind. Other things to consider when naming are the storyline you have planned (who lived here first? What kind of community is it? Atmosphere? Genre? Why do people live here?) and the atmosphere or genre you wish to evoke. If you're playing up the soap opera element of the game, you could study the place names used by real soap operas, even borrowing or riffing off of the names of actors or characters, for instance.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely use it. I like the idea of using a more nautical name because after all it is on the coast of an ocean. The story of the hood will be mainly centered around revenge, vengeance, and hatred. the main story will center around the new elections for mayor in the town. The current mayor is feuding with a new resident who wants to make changes to the town, namely its hierarchy and social structures which are quite evident. The poor are poor, the rich are rich, and the average are average. There's no social mobility and the current mayor loves this. There will definitely be illegal things going on and underlying things like bribery, etc...it's a town in and of its self. People who come here can certainly feel an aura and mysterious vibe per se. All the families are somehow inter connected and people are not what they seem. I still have to work out some kinks and the story may still change greatly but I'm still working on it. Besides that what do you think of the landscape though? I've added more trees since I posted this and more rocks to make it look natural. It will for sure look much better after some buildings have been made.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 31st May 2016 at 3:47 PM
I like the look of the terrain and vibe it gives. River Springs came to mind. Just a thought you could uise some town name randomizers or maybe something here will peak your interest. http://www.mithrilandmages.com/util...ates_city_names
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st May 2016 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CoffeenSimming
I like the look of the terrain and vibe it gives. River Springs came to mind. Just a thought you could uise some town name randomizers or maybe something here will peak your interest. http://www.mithrilandmages.com/util...ates_city_names

Awe thanks! I'll definetley use it! River Springs sounds nice too, I'll keep it in mind.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 6:13 PM Last edited by MikeJMW55 : 1st Jun 2016 at 11:22 PM.
Not much feedback, lol but I'll take all the loves as it as well. Two houses have already been built, the mayor's house, and the oldest house in the town which is owned by the Welsworth family. More information on the families and houses along with the town will be up shortly.

Thinking I'll name it "Pacific Springs"...thoughts?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 8:38 PM
I like your hood. It is very pretty. I like the name Coastal Springs.

Please don't double post. If no one has posted and you want to add something to the it, edit it.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 9:09 PM
You'll get feedback once you have lots for testing. That's mostly what people here will do with a new neighbourhood.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 10:51 PM
Spend less time looking around for approval and more time on the work, and you'll progress better, and give us something worth commenting on.

If you can only work when you know someone's looking, you'll never get the work done.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
I like your hood. It is very pretty. I like the name Coastal Springs.

Please don't double post. If no one has posted and you want to add something to the it, edit it.

Sorry about that! All fixed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You'll get feedback once you have lots for testing. That's mostly what people here will do with a new neighbourhood.

This probably will be the dumbest thing you've ever heard, but I'm new to this so cut me some slack how do I start testing? Do I upload it and say *testers wanted* and then just wait until people tell me about it?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 12:38 AM
You can update the neighbourhood you are making with built lots or is it your intention to offer it with empty lots?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 12:49 AM
You can update the neighbourhood you are making with built lots or is it your intention to offer it with empty lots?

I'll probably only offer if with lots. Should I periodically update it for every new few lots I add?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 1:25 AM
What ever you do make sure to build your lots on the ones you have placed down already because when I did Riverside I made the hood and then place down all the empty lots and then made the lots in a different hood and when replacing the ones in Riverside with the ones from another hood it caused a lot of problems.

Its in this thread somewhere in the middle I think. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497520

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
What ever you do make sure to build your lots on the ones you have placed down already because when I did Riverside I made the hood and then place down all the empty lots and then made the lots in a different hood and when replacing the ones in Riverside with the ones from another hood it caused a lot of problems.

Its in this thread somewhere in the middle I think. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497520

Thanks!!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeJMW55
I'll probably only offer if with lots. Should I periodically update it for every new few lots I add?

Yes, it keeps the interest going and a little at a time will enable people to test without feeling overloaded.

Also, piece of advice - I wouldn't use SimStore stuff. That would cut out a lot of potential downloaders especially as the store is no longer available. All EPs/SPs is one thing - it will still restrict your audience but store stuff would cut out far more (including me, AAMOF, since I never bought ANYTHING from the Store).

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 6:52 PM
Yes, it keeps the interest going and a little at a time will enable people to test without feeling overloaded.

Also, piece of advice - I wouldn't use SimStore stuff. That would cut out a lot of potential downloaders especially as the store is no longer available. All EPs/SPs is one thing - it will still restrict your audience but store stuff would cut out far more (including me, AAMOF, since I never bought ANYTHING from the Store).

Alright, I'll take all the store stuff out. There isn't much anyways. Testing should be up within the next few days
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 12:23 AM Last edited by MikeJMW55 : 5th Jun 2016 at 11:40 PM.
1st test version should be released later tonight. It will include no sims, so you will have to move them in yourself, this test version will be made for ensuring the hood looks good from hood view and that the lots built so far are well made. I have made 6 lots so far; 5 residential, and 1 commercial. If anyone has any ideas on what a lot should be, say a seaside lot as a mansion or cafe. Etc...ill post on this thread once it's up!

Update - it is now in the moderation queue and I will post a link ASAP! :D
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:15 AM
@MikeJMW55
Did you mean to upload the hood so it can be downloaded by anyone and everyone? Or were you wanting it to be downloaded by people here who read this thread so they can test it? The reason I'm asking is because it seems like the hood isn't completely finished yet. If you didn't want it uploaded yet, let me (or another mod) know and we can reject it so it isn't in the queue waiting to be moderated.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@MikeJMW55
Did you mean to upload the hood so it can be downloaded by anyone and everyone? Or were you wanting it to be downloaded by people here who read this thread so they can test it? The reason I'm asking is because it seems like the hood isn't completely finished yet. If you didn't want it uploaded yet, let me (or another mod) know and we can reject it so it isn't in the queue waiting to be moderated.

I uploaded it as a test version. It's not completed, it is meant to be for people to explore and give me feedback. Should I have posted it elsewhere?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#21 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:32 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 6th Jun 2016 at 1:44 AM.
Since it's not complete, I'm going to go ahead and reject is so it won't be in the queue. (Since it's not ready it would've been rejected anyway when someone got around to looking at it.)

You can attach it to a post here - please give as much information as you can about it as well as posting a screenshot (so people know what they're supposed to be seeing when they test it). It can be deleted from this thread in the future when it's been tested enough.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 9:34 AM
I love the look of the hood. It looks like a miniature version of my recent hood in progress.

I adore the rocky coast, but what buggs me is the offset of the terrain paint effects. They overlap with water. It may be intended, but to me, it does not look pretty. And try to fix those floating forests in the background. I'll be testing the lost if I find time.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 10:07 AM
Only use the upload wizard for completed uploads Mike. I like the rocks.

Downloaded and I will take a look tomorrow.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I love the look of the hood. It looks like a miniature version of my recent hood in progress.

I adore the rocky coast, but what buggs me is the offset of the terrain paint effects. They overlap with water. It may be intended, but to me, it does not look pretty. And try to fix those floating forests in the background. I'll be testing the lost if I find time.

I will take a look at the floating trees, and when you mention the terrain effects, do you mean the ones on the coast of the island?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 12:06 PM Last edited by maxon : 6th Jun 2016 at 12:41 PM.
One thing I'm going to suggest you do right away is change the number of the neighbourhood. It is currently N004 and the trouble is a lot of people have custom hoods in their games which, if made while the regular neighbourhoods are also in their games, will be N004. Including me, in my main game anyway, which means I'd have to rename it (and all that involves - see below) to use it. I will try it in one of my AGS slots (which doesn't have an N004).

You need to give the neighbourhood a unique number. There is a list on the wiki of most of the existing neighbourhoods available and you can get some ideas of a suitable number from that. What you need to do goes beyond renaming the folder - you have to rename EVERY single instance of N004 in the folder in the file names or the hood will not work for anyone. ANYONE. People usually do that with a bulk renamer - there are several available as freeware, just Google for something suitable.

Another thing you should do, if you haven't already, is instigate a routine of backing up and only working on copies of the neighbourhood (and then making a new back up when you have developed a bit more).

Page 1 of 12