Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 9:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Settings won't stick no matter what
So, I've been playing TS2 on my other PC. I didn't face any problems there, everything works fine and dandy. However, I bought a laptop recently that isn't very high tech, but it still runs TS2. Whenever I go into the game I get the tutorial (which I've disabled countless times) and none of my settings save. Changing the settings isn't an issue for me, I don't mind doing that every time I launch the game. The problem is that my mods won't enable! For some reason, hairs and clothes show up just fine, but no mods work in-game.

I've read a lot of threads saying to edit the Useprops.XML in the config file in the documents folder, but for some reason my game hasn't generated it. I made a new save for the game to generate everything again, but there's still no Userprops.XML :/ I tried importing the Userprops.XML that my save used on my old PC, but that didn't work. It's like I didn't do anything in the first place.

There's also the issue that my Userdata folder in the installation drive is set to "read only." No matter how many times I untick the read only option, it always reverts back to read only. Could this be the cause? I'm playing with windows 10, so is that why? It never caused any issued on my old PC though :(

Oh and lastly, I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but whenever I launch TS2 I get a message saying I don't have enough disk space. But that's to be expected right? Since my laptop isn't very strong and all.
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 11:51 AM
How much disk space do you have left? If the game can't write your settings to a file then it won't save them. Also, your play progress won't be saved. Do you have cloud storage enabled? If so, exclude your Documents/ EAGames/ The Sims 2 folder from synching there, in case it's your cloud storage that's full.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
How much disk space do you have left? If the game can't write your settings to a file then it won't save them. Also, your play progress won't be saved. Do you have cloud storage enabled? If so, exclude your Documents/ EAGames/ The Sims 2 folder from synching there, in case it's your cloud storage that's full.

I have 148 GB disk space left. I also don't have cloud storage enabled. My play progress is being saved though, I have a sim in uni and I play with her.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 6:52 PM
Can you either take a picture of, or copy/paste in the exact path to where your saved game is on your computer? It's the level above the location of your Downloads folder, if you're unsure what I mean. It's not where the install files are (not in ProgramFiles).

Also, if your computer has Windows 10, 11, or possibly windows 8, check if there's a folder/area called "OneDrive" on your computer. It should be accessible from the left side (if you open up any folder) where you see the other quick access points, like "Quick Access", "This Computer", and "Network". If so, open it up and see if the "Documents" folder in it has an "EA Games" folder.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 11:12 PM
Check your antivirus is set to not look at sims 2 files and maybe also disable OneDrive, both of these can interfere with sims 2 files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 1:36 AM
If you have Ultimate Collection, is your PC able to properly read special characters, such as ? The Sims 2 UC user folder in Documents contains that symbol and, if your PC cannot recognize the special character, the game will say that there's not enough space.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 8:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Can you either take a picture of, or copy/paste in the exact path to where your saved game is on your computer? It's the level above the location of your Downloads folder, if you're unsure what I mean. It's not where the install files are (not in ProgramFiles).

Also, if your computer has Windows 10, 11, or possibly windows 8, check if there's a folder/area called "OneDrive" on your computer. It should be accessible from the left side (if you open up any folder) where you see the other quick access points, like "Quick Access", "This Computer", and "Network". If so, open it up and see if the "Documents" folder in it has an "EA Games" folder.

The path to my saved game is: C:\Users\"my name"\OneDrive\Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (I just copy pasted it like you said)

Also I do have an "EA Games" folder in my Onedrive folder :0 I don't open Onedrive though, so that's weird :/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check your antivirus is set to not look at sims 2 files and maybe also disable OneDrive, both of these can interfere with sims 2 files.

My antivirus is Windows defender, and I added the "EA Games" to the exclusion list. I also uninstalled OneDrive just now because I don't use it anyway. I just ran the game to check if anything changed and nothing happened no Userprops.XML and no saved settings
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
If you have Ultimate Collection, is your PC able to properly read special characters, such as ? The Sims 2 UC user folder in Documents contains that symbol and, if your PC cannot recognize the special character, the game will say that there's not enough space.

My user folder in the Documents folder has no . I changed it with Regedit but it still shows the low disk space message
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sarah.h0201
The path to my saved game is: C:\Users\"my name"\OneDrive\Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (I just copy pasted it like you said)

Also I do have an "EA Games" folder in my Onedrive folder :0 I don't open Onedrive though, so that's weird :/

That's most likely your problem right there. Your saved game should be located in
C:\Users\*your name*\Documents\EA Games\The Sims (™) 2 Ultimate Collection
Not in "OneDrive\Files"

You'll want to turn off OneDrive, or at least make sure it's not synching with your game, because it's causing issues. If you're using that folder to store your downloads, things are probably getting a bit messy. I think there's probably a limit to how much the OneDrive folder can hold - without a paid subscription I think it's around 2 GB. A basic saved game without too many neighborhoods going on takes up roughly 1.5 GB with all EPs, so that's a bare minimum if you have, say, 500 MB of downloads, and if you have other files in the Documents folder as well, then that limit is reached even faster. The issue now is most likely that OneDrive is running out of space.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 8:48 PM
That's most likely your problem right there. Your saved game should be located in
C:\Users\*your name*\Documents\EA Games\The Sims (™) 2 Ultimate Collection
Not in "OneDrive\Files"

You'll want to turn off OneDrive, or at least make sure it's not synching with your game, because it's causing issues. If you're using that folder to store your downloads, things are probably getting a bit messy. I think there's probably a limit to how much the OneDrive folder can hold - without a paid subscription I think it's around 2 GB. A basic saved game without too many neighborhoods going on takes up roughly 1.5 GB with all EPs, so that's a bare minimum if you have, say, 500 MB of downloads, and if you have other files in the Documents folder as well, then that limit is reached even faster. The issue now is most likely that OneDrive is running out of space.

How do I disable it then? I uninstalled OneDrive but it still shows up in the path to any folder in my documents.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 9:09 PM
Do you have the regular Documents folder outside of the OneDrive folder, too?
Does this folder have the EA Games folder in it as well?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 10:14 AM
Do you have the regular Documents folder outside of the OneDrive folder, too?
Does this folder have the EA Games folder in it as well?

Yes I do. But the game only runs the documents folder inside the OneDrive folder. I tried moving my save file outside of OneDrive's documents folder, but the game just generated a new one instead of using the moved save file.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 12:22 PM
Most likely the OneDrive folder is synched to the one in your Documents folder, which is why the ame seems to be running from the OneDrive folder (it really isn't, but as long as the OneDrive folder thinks so, it might as well be).

Try disabling OneDrive, and/or unlink it from your computer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...38-6efb09f944b0

Uninstalling it might not work, because recent updates have in some cases kept reinstalling OneDrive. It usually doesn't mess too much with your settings, so disabling, unlinking folders, and making sure it doesn't run at startup should stop it from messing with your game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 10:37 AM
Most likely the OneDrive folder is synched to the one in your Documents folder, which is why the ame seems to be running from the OneDrive folder (it really isn't, but as long as the OneDrive folder thinks so, it might as well be).

Try disabling OneDrive, and/or unlink it from your computer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...38-6efb09f944b0

Uninstalling it might not work, because recent updates have in some cases kept reinstalling OneDrive. It usually doesn't mess too much with your settings, so disabling, unlinking folders, and making sure it doesn't run at startup should stop it from messing with your game.

OMG!! It worked! My settings are finally saving :DDD So it was OneDrive afterall. Why is the "feature" anyway??? I used a combination of methods from the link you sent me plus these two https://www.techbout.com/disable-un...ndows-10-26744/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...84-9c7b10111899

I'm over the moon :) Thank you so much for your help everyone <3 <3