Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2021 at 7:56 PM Last edited by Nyvielz : 23rd Aug 2021 at 1:41 PM.
Default Help fixing skins [Resolved]
I was creating new sims and found these skins:

Look at these heads lol

I would like to fix it but I don't know how. The program where I took the screenshots is SimEnchancer 3D. You have to pay to use it but I have a two day trial.
I downloaded it today thinking I could fix those skins but I've just been wasting time because I don't know what to do xD
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 3:29 AM Last edited by Corylea : 23rd Aug 2021 at 4:48 AM.
You can make skins that look just like these if you use The Sims Creator program and apply a garment to a mesh that doesn't fit that garment. For example, the first skin applied a short skirt to a mesh for a long skirt. In the second example, a long trousers garment is applied to a mesh for shorts.

I'm hoping that nobody actually released skins for download in this condition! For them to look like this, my guess is that two different creators used the same number for different meshes, so a skin is being applied to a mesh that doesn't work with it.

Sometimes skins were released with a number that wasn't in use at the time the creator released it, but Maxis used that number in a later expansion pack.

Whether the conflict is with a Maxis skin or with another downloaded skin, the conflicting downloaded skins and their meshes must be renumbered. The texture file (the one that ends in .bmp) and both parts of the mesh file (the ones that end in .cmx and .skn) must all be renumbered.

If you look at the little boxes on the right in the pictures you've uploaded, you can see that the first outfit is numbered B203, and that conflicts with the Maxis outfit for the suffragette. The downloaded files must be renamed -- both the skin AND both parts of the mesh -- to something that Maxis never used and that isn't used by any of the other skins in your Skins folder.

In the second example, the little box on the side shows that the downloaded skin for shorts conflicts with the Maxis skin for the Fan Pool. Again, the downloaded skin and its meshes must be renamed.

Normally, to fix these skins, you'd need to go through your Skins folder AND the Maxis meshes and find which two skins and meshes are competing with one another, then rename one of the skins and meshes to something else. But the Sim Enhancer 3D program has picked out the competing files for you, so it won't be hard to find them. You just need to figure out which one is the Maxis one and which is the downloaded one, then change the numbers on all three parts of the download.

Edited to Add: You'll need to change not just the file names but also two places INSIDE the CMX file and two places inside the SKN file:

[IMG][/IMG]

This page has a lot of information on the way skins and meshes should be named and numbered: http://moonsims.asi.org/tech/install-new-skin.html.

This page is explicitly about renaming and renumbering skins: https://mayday555.tripod.com/cmx.html#two

Although this tutorial is about renaming and renumbering skins to change a skin's category (like from Formal from Hot Date to High Fashion for Superstar), it's one of the best for explaining what you need to do: http://www.woobsha.com/diy-renamingskins.html
Screenshots

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 12:21 PM
It happens to me exactly the same as you. @ Nyvielz I also have clothes that do not match well with their tights and they come out badly in the sims. I know I have to do as @Corylea says, but having many is a bit tedious.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 1:00 PM Last edited by Nyvielz : 23rd Aug 2021 at 1:38 PM.
Thank you so much @Corylea! <3 <3 I was able to fix several skins.
I think I'm going to take next weekend just for change some skins and make them buyable haha.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 1:37 PM Last edited by Nyvielz : 23rd Aug 2021 at 6:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsgat
It happens to me exactly the same as you. @ Nyvielz I also have clothes that do not match well with their tights and they come out badly in the sims. I know I have to do as @Corylea says, but having many is a bit tedious.

Simsgat, what you can do to make it easier is download the program Sim Enchancer 3D (48 hours free trial), then create a family, dress them with all the skins and heads that are wrong and put them to live in a lot.
Open the program, select the neighborhood where you placed those sims and then find one of the sims you created.

Choose the normal clothes option and it will show you a preview of the skin it is wearing (cmx and bmp).

Then search the number series (b708 for example) in the Skins folder and then follow the steps Corylea mentioned to fix it.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 2:24 PM
Thank you @Nyvielz for your detailed explanation. I will do as you tell me to see if I can fix the ones that are wrong.
I also wanted to group them 3 by 3 to put them in a .rar and have them separately since I have the skins in their folder and they are a lot and thus I make a mess.
@Corylea, Is it normal that opening the .skn file with notepad, I put in the 1st line "name" in the 2nd "x" in the 3rd "1" and in the 4th "head"?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nyvielz
Thank you so much @Corylea! <3 <3 I was able to fix several skins.
I think I'm going to take next weekend just for change some skins and make them buyable haha.

You're very welcome! I'm glad you were able to fix many of the skins.

And yes, once you know how to make skins buyable, you can have any outfit you want in any category. I hate the Maxis pajamas, so I've made a shorts outfit into buyable pajamas, and of course lots of creators have made lovely nightgowns; my sims just aren't usually girly enough for lovely nightgowns. Remember to put anything that's a buyable skin into your ExpansionShared\SkinsBuy folder!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsgat

@Corylea, Is it normal that opening the .skn file with notepad, I put in the 1st line "name" in the 2nd "x" in the 3rd "1" and in the 4th "head"?

@simsgat, the .skn file that I gave as an example was for a body mesh. Head meshes are more complicated, because some heads have accessories attached. Accessories are things like eyeglasses or pipes or earrings or hats. Those things are usually mentioned in the CMX file.

Here's an example .skn file for a head:

As you can see, "1" in the third line and "HEAD" in the 4th line are correct. The first line should be xskin-NameOfMesh-HEAD-HEAD, with "NameOfMesh" replaced by an actual name, of course. The second line should be the name of the mesh.

But really, you don't need ME to tell you these things! Just open any Maxis mesh and look at it; that's how you can figure out pretty much anything you need to know.

Have fun!
Screenshots

Test Subject
#9 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 7:56 PM
Thanks @ Corylea.
I'll do as you tell me, I'll try to see how others in the game are doing and I'll compare how they differ. I have them all together in a folder from a long time ago and there are some that I don't like, but at the time I downloaded and others I think they are not good or they are not complete and I wanted to do a cleaning.
Thanks again!