Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Sockpuppet
#51 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 12:39 PM
yes, i know but it comes with a problem when you do that.
If the footprint is a floor below then the whole dome takes the shadow/lightning of the lower floor.
It makes the dome very dark

I have found a solution for that by lifting the mesh of the dome 2 floors but drop it down again in the rig file.
Unfortunate then another problem appears, i can not place it higher then on the 3rd floor.
At wat floor is the Grandstaircase?(on the titanic sims 3 lots)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 2:09 PM
BloomsBase, it seems to me it was placed through 5 decks or even more
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 6:19 PM
Hey, so I'm almost done the texture, just doing some finishing touches.
I'm also tweaking different colours of the glass.

Here's the texture so far. When I'm done I'll post the uvmap texture here.

In my Titanic lot, the dome is placed on the highest level. Does that help? It might be hard to find a cap, cover or roof for the dome, being on the highest level.
Sockpuppet
#54 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 6:26 PM
Cool!!
Being the dome on the highest level is ok(you cant place a ceiling light then can you?)
I will going to close the dome, i can give it a light in the top i think(not a lamp but only the ''bulb''??)
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 6:47 PM
even you"ll make the dome visible you won't make a ceiling lamp as well
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 7:07 PM
Yeah, I can place ceiling lights on that floor, I've been using invisible lights for the roofs previously.
Will the dome be under decorative/miscellaneous?
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 8:02 PM
zelda101, I don't know
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 8:56 PM
zelda101, let it be so
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 9:00 PM
amazing job guys, can't wait to see this finished but zelda: shouldn't it be matte glass, and not that shiny reflective rough glass? if you've seen pictures of the dome that look different i'd love to see them, because i've only ever seen matte glass without this crinkly texture http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1200..._600f874b41.jpg but nonetheless you've done a beautiful job both of you... i was wondering - to avoid the problem of not being able to find a cover is it possible to incorporate a "box" that covers the dome from the outside? in reality, the dome was covered by a half wall-box with frosted glass skylights and was about waist high on the boat deck. It came between the first and second funnels.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 9:22 PM
it is beautiful work - but whats with the gold? i can find no evidence that this was gold - i mean it is beautiful, but it would also look pretty cool with animal fur instead of glass, and instead of gold swirls rainbow spirals, but if that's not what it looked like... then why have it that way?

EDIT -i think i see what you've done, those gold spirals are from the balustrades on the staircase, not the dome... i'm all for artistic expression, but don't you want accuracy as well?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#61 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 9:44 PM Last edited by zelda101 : 2nd Jun 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Okay, well I've never really textured anything this much before, and I'm not a pro. And since there's no textures on the web, I had to create it on my own.

Nothing's perfect.

I was using several images as references.
http://www.achievement.org/achiever...ge/cam0-018.jpg
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 10:44 PM Last edited by zelda101 : 5th Jun 2012 at 8:42 PM.
Default Final Texture
So I edited it for what hopefully becomes the last edit.
After looking through images online, the original dome was more plain.
so here's another textured version to add to this post.

The two metal bars are still present here, hopefully they're removed now?

And the FINAL Texture
Sockpuppet
#63 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 10:47 PM
It looks amazing,
Im going to attache a light script to it so you have a bit more options.

Still strugling with the dome disspearring when leveling down.
I have a file wich has its footprint on the floor staircase room and the dome 2 floors higher but it takes the shadow of the lowerroom.
For the inside of the dome this looks good but not the outside.
So i regrouped the outerdome from the innerdome and will give it a brighter texture.
I cant do this for the glass im afraid so ill have to think on how to solve that one.

I will release 2 domes, one with the above setup and one just on the roof(it will dissapear when dropping floors)
I do have a picture with diffrent colors, alot of gold.
Think it is from the replica in the titanic museum.
This one: http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.or...titanic0008.jpg

Maybe you want to have a go at the plaster Zelda?
Let me know then ill upload its template.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 11:05 PM Last edited by zelda101 : 2nd Jun 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Sure, I'll have a go at it. Though it may not be as accurate, but I will do my best. Is the plaster the white part of the dome?
Sockpuppet
#65 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 11:17 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 2nd Jun 2012 at 11:43 PM.
yes, it is
It is just one segment, it is castable so its just more shading(all is in greyscale)
Ill upload the baked texture and the uvmap, give me sec
http://www.sendspace.com/file/aaf1d6
Also include the last meshfile with inner and outsidedome seperated.
I will try to coorect the uvmap of the glass at the top later, its a bit stretched.

Edit,
If you find it easier as white overlay then that is also fine, ill can add it as stencil
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 12:08 AM
zelda101 - i hope i didn't come across as disrespectful - you are a talented, talented creator... mass ive massive thanks for making this. I shall not interrupt you anymore! (but thankyou for changing it!) i do feel i was a little rude though, so sorry
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 12:11 AM
and you guys may well have been right about the gold. I'll admit to having been wrong on that...

the problems you're having bloom with the levelling up... would they not be solved if you placed the box "room" around it? that way, how it looks from the outside would be irrelevant? its just a thought, and its true to the original design...
Sockpuppet
#68 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dangmal
zelda101 - i hope i didn't come across as disrespectful - you are a talented, talented creator... mass ive massive thanks for making this. I shall not interrupt you anymore! (but thankyou for changing it!) i do feel i was a little rude though, so sorry

Did you see the picture i put up?
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Did you see the picture i put up?

yes - it is worth saying that there are NO pictures of the titanic dome, they are all of its sister ships... so it is VERY difficult to get right, the picture you posted is of a model, so you know, it's easier to go freestyle on that, but yeah - i might have been wrong on that so sorry!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 5:51 AM
Actually all the thanks go to @BloomBase, Not me. All I did was the texture. He put all the work into motion,
I have no clue on how to create objects or any CC.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 6:37 AM
zelda101, so you'll upload it soon, right?
Sockpuppet
#72 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 8:46 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:05 AM.
ill try to post a test version here as soon as all texturing is done.
This is the one level dome, it will only be visible on the topfloor.
still needs textures for the quartersegments at the top.
-Still need to change the shape a bit more?
-Want a lamp?
Feedback welcome.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 9:24 PM
this is amazing - it looks so beautiful in game, it is by far the best dome there has ever been for any Sims game, it is brilliant, thankyou for taking the time to make it bloom. About the lamp, it might be quite a challenge to find one that fits that space exactly - if you do want to make one that matches it, i can't imagine any other creator making one as good as you could... I have one question - if you used move objects and placed both domes (the one level one and the other one) on top of eachother, am i right in thinking that one or the other would always be showing? would that work?
Sockpuppet
#74 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 9:32 PM
yes, it would but i have to scale the 3 level one a tiny bit smaller then to avoid glitches.
Another problem is that both together are arround 15000 polygons then, a bit high?

The best thing i can do is to position the footprint of the 3 level one on the main ground outside the building/titanic and lift the dome to the 6th floor, then it will work.
It will show on all floors and roof, not just 3
The moment you build a room arround the placement footprint the whole mesh(werever it is) takes the shadow of that room.
But then you only can use/place it on the top floor.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 10:40 PM
hmm, it's a little high but its a small price to pay for something so stunning. I'd suffer lags for this but i doubt it'll cause any, i'm no expert on this. it would be quite nice to have alternative versions as you suggested earlier, so that if you wanted, you could have a grand staircase without needing all the rest of the ship, and all the extra levels .. i'll trust in your genius! and just in case you do fancy having a go at the lamp.....

p.s the one with the red square is the most historically accurate
and thanks again for everything so far man, this is working out beautifully between your work and zelda's
Page 3 of 7