Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 12:08 AM
Default Texture Mapping Not Correct?
I've been hard at work on counters/islands (first time doing something so ambitious, and I've had to scrap it three times now), and this time the texture mapping isn't working? I mapped everything correctly in Blender, but when I import it into the game...it loses all texture. The countertop is fine, just the counter itself is a problem. It seems to be trying to pull from the cloned object (Surfaco Counter Island), despite me changing no filenames and running the integrity checker. This is especially obvious when I force a dirty state. (The countertop from the original seems to be assigning itself to the door faces, for instance.) I didn't have this problem in any of my previous failures, so this is vexing to say the least. I've included the package in case anyone else can help.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  deastrumquodvicis_dinerisland_mesh.zip (647.0 KB, 9 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 1:26 AM
Have you given the item a new GUID?
Also, did you do "Fix Integrity" at some point, to give the item a new internal name? It's a bit difficult to see, and I think you did, but just to be sure.

If you've skipped the GUID step, a cloned item will use the textures from the item it was cloned from. It will usually also behave like a default replacement object (but not a well-made one, so best give it a GUID).
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 1:35 AM
I've done both of those--changing the GUID is always the first thing I do. Tried changing it again just in case but to no avail.

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 3:18 AM
It looked so alike to the fallback guid I didn't notice the B had been changed to an A.

Anyway - did you clone counters from some ingame ones, or use Numenor's templates? https://modthesims.info/t/124268 (They're recommended to use, and there's a tutorial on how to use them, and how to make sure sinks work)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 4:13 AM
Ooh, I cloned from in-game ones, I didn't even know Numenor had templates. That should help a ton! And regarding GUID, I can't get the registration to work to properly be able to register GUID, so I usually just change one letter/number and hope there's no conflicts.

You...don't happen to have any links for a sectional template, do you?

Instructor
#6 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 8:50 AM
Most of the available templates can be found here: https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=337

Don't think there's one for sectionals, but I believe you can clone normally and use Inge Jones' Is Sofa a sectional? hack, located here: https://modthesims.info/d/189428/qu...ted-for-al.html

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 2:13 PM
To make sure the GUID doesn't conflict with anything ingame, you can copy the GUID you want to use, find the "Finder" tab (should be at the bottom), and paste it into the "GUID" box, then click "start".

Make sure the "Find" says "Object search" and "Type" says "Contains [match]"

It will run a search, and if something pops up in the "results" box, don't use that GUID because it's used by something ingame. If after the search is finished nothing pops up, that GUID is (most likely) cleared for use, at least from an ingame perspective (not CC).

I don't know if there are faster or better ways to do this, though. I only figured this out yesterday...
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 9:01 AM
Well, I got the base to work fine with the version with no doors, but on the islands, it wants to make doors and there's no doors to make so it leaves ugly openness. An alternative would just be to close it off altogether on the islands, but then I get weird shadows and Sims trying to reach into things that aren't there.
Screenshots

Instructor
#9 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 4:07 PM
Are you using Numenor's templates now? There's special instructions (under heading "Optional") for linking the island.

If not, it seems from your first post that you are cloning the counters from an island? That might be problematic since islands are usually slaves to counters(masters), and don't have some of the resources in them (they borrow the ones from the counters).

If you want to post your updated files, we can look at them to see where it might be stalling.

_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 11:02 PM Last edited by Deastrumquodvicis : 8th Feb 2021 at 11:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
Are you using Numenor's templates now? There's special instructions (under heading "Optional") for linking the island.

If not, it seems from your first post that you are cloning the counters from an island? That might be problematic since islands are usually slaves to counters(masters), and don't have some of the resources in them (they borrow the ones from the counters).

If you want to post your updated files, we can look at them to see where it might be stalling.

I'm using the templates now, yeah. That all links, but the version with the doors, both on counter and island is what's messing up. I'm not cloning from the counter, that seems silly, lol. (My corner island doesn't quite line up, but I'm fine messing with that, and also the UV mapping on the shelves inside isn't right but again that's something I know how to fix.) The slaving is going well, at least.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  deastrumquodvicis_dinercounter2_mesh.zip (471.5 KB, 5 downloads)

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 12:25 PM
So you know how to fix the mapping?  Confused as the title of the thread is texture issue?  So the counters mesh works as intended?  It's the islands mesh that is an issue?  Is it supposed to be just drawers like the counter?  Or is it supposed to be open shelves?  The island has door handles, which need to be removed from the counterbase mesh subset.  If you want drawers, then you need to edit the counterbase mesh to add them.
Instructor
#12 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 3:56 PM Last edited by d4RE : 9th Feb 2021 at 4:47 PM. Reason: upon closer inspection...
I noticed the same thing as HugeLunatic - the counterfinish meshes in the island package have handles floating around in all of them but no mesh for a door.

In the counter package, it looks like either the countertop mesh is placed backward, or the counterfinish mesh has to be pulled back a bit to match the countertop mesh. EDIT: shorten the countertop mesh back until the bottom edge of gap meets the counterfinish. As is, there's a big open gap on the underside of the countertop on the side with drawers. This looks correct in the island package, though. (Another thought: maybe the counter's "countertop" mesh has been replaced with the island's "countertop" mesh? and that's why it doesn't fit?)

Also in the counter package, it appears you may have skipped step 6 in Numenor's instructions:
Quote:
Now you have to select, in turn all the GMNDs whose name ends with "tslocator", *except* the first one; for each GMND, select the "tsMaterialsMeshName" block and edit the two String values, replacing each occurrence of "[CustomName]" with your own ModelName (the one that you have copied earlier); be sure to preserve intact the ##0x1c050000! prefix.

In all the tslocator GMNDs the tsMaterialsMeshName strings are still pointing to "##0x1c050000![CustomName]" instead of to "##0x1c050000![dinercounter]"

ETA: I had a look at your meshes in Blender and noticed there are, indeed, meshes for doors drawn in. The reason they are not showing correctly in-game (or SimPE), is that your normals are backwards on those faces, meaning they are actually taking the texture rom the UV map, but on the side facing INTO the counter, not facing out. Rather than make it more confusing with my rambling, I suggest you check youtube for "flip normals in Blender3d". It's a pretty simple and quick process, and one you will use a LOT when doing Sims mod.

_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
So you know how to fix the mapping?  Confused as the title of the thread is texture issue?  So the counters mesh works as intended?  It's the islands mesh that is an issue?  Is it supposed to be just drawers like the counter?  Or is it supposed to be open shelves?  The island has door handles, which need to be removed from the counterbase mesh subset.  If you want drawers, then you need to edit the counterbase mesh to add them.

Supposed to be doors on some, like the template. The drawer one works fine, but the doors one is messing up and not showing the doors on the door-inclusive counter (and I relocated the base mesh from the counter to be on the island).

And sorry for using the same thread, I guess, I felt it might be easier for those who helped me previously to continue the thread with the new problems.

Quote: Originally posted by d4RE

In all the tslocator GMNDs the tsMaterialsMeshName strings are still pointing to "##0x1c050000![CustomName]" instead of to "##0x1c050000![dinercounter]"

ETA: I had a look at your meshes in Blender and noticed there are, indeed, meshes for doors drawn in. The reason they are not showing correctly in-game (or SimPE), is that your normals are backwards on those faces, meaning they are actually taking the texture rom the UV map, but on the side facing INTO the counter, not facing out. Rather than make it more confusing with my rambling, I suggest you check youtube for "flip normals in Blender3d". It's a pretty simple and quick process, and one you will use a LOT when doing Sims mod.

I actually flipped the normals in an attempt to get them to show up and forgot to flip them back before I uploaded as I thought that may have been the issue. Did not work. And thanks for pointing out the GMND, I guess I forgot to commit the changes to that. I'm new at Blender but have enough experience in AutoDesk MeshMixer to know normals for the most part. (It'd be nice if Blender actually visualized the direction they were facing like MM does, though, that would help a ton)

Also, I can't get my SimPE previews to work so I'm having to load up the game each time.

Instructor
#14 Old 10th Feb 2021 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
I actually flipped the normals in an attempt to get them to show up and forgot to flip them back before I uploaded as I thought that may have been the issue. Did not work. And thanks for pointing out the GMND, I guess I forgot to commit the changes to that. I'm new at Blender but have enough experience in AutoDesk MeshMixer to know normals for the most part. (It'd be nice if Blender actually visualized the direction they were facing like MM does, though, that would help a ton)

Also, I can't get my SimPE previews to work so I'm having to load up the game each time.

Hmmm.. Gonna make the edits to your package here, throw it in game, and see if I can find what else is holding it up.
You can visualize the normals by clicking the boxes shown in pic (choices for vertex, edge, & face) while in edit mode.
Screenshots

_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Feb 2021 at 3:05 AM Last edited by Deastrumquodvicis : 17th Feb 2021 at 9:27 PM.
I have a much newer Blender version (2.81.16), it looks very different and all the tutorials I can find are for older versions that. 2.81 rejigged a lot of the UI. (And thanks for helping me so much!)

EDIT rather than double-post: I opened the meshes in MeshMixer because it does show where the normals are facing, and they're all facing properly. Should be noted that on another object I'm working on, two other flat faces are seen to be pointing correctly normal-wise but still showing nothing in-game.