Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 8:15 PM
Default Is creating custom content difficult?
Hi there,

I have never custom content and I was wondering whether it is difficult. I was looking for a certain quirky car, A Citroen DS, which always reminds me of a detective car, but that one is not available in the downloads. (I have Sims 2 btw.)
So I was wondering whether it is difficult to create it myself or whether someone could create that car for me?

Thanks for your help.

Danny30011980
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 8:42 PM
MTS does not allow requests, so if you want something that doesn't exist you will want to look though some create tutorials.  Cars are one of the harder things due to joints and animations.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
MTS does not allow requests, so if you want something that doesn't exist you will want to look though some create tutorials.  Cars are one of the harder things due to joints and animations.

Thanks for the infol I have never created anything so far,w as just wondering
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 11:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Mar 2021 at 11:51 PM.
It can be tedious to learn, because you do have to read up on one or more tutorials depending on what you want to make, and there can be a lot of frustration involved when things aren't working, especially if your game crashes or throws errors when you test the item, or the mesh turns out to be too big or too small, or the recolors don't work, the animations don't work, and so forth. But it is really fun when you finally manage to make something that works

The difficulty level for making a car would depend on whether you're planning on meshing the car on your own, or whether you have a model of that car to work with from somewhere else (3D site with free models, for instance). TS2 operates with doors that can open and close, plus wheels that turn, and a few other animated parts, so those would have to be loose or easy to separate out on the model.

Working with animated objects is a bit like clothes or accessories (it's the same export/import method with Unimesh/GMDC files if you use Milkshape), except you usually have to link the mesh up to the joints manually. There's usually a lot fewer bones, so that simplifies this process a little bit, but it's still not the easiest task. Cars may not be the easiest to start with when it comes to animated items.

You may want to try some simpler items first, just to get the hang of getting objects into the game and getting sims to interact with them (Small deco sculptures are nice just to get something into the game, and learning about how SimPE works. Chairs and tables are good for learning about correct mesh placement and sizing without joints getting in the way. A toy chest or drawer would both be good introductions to animated objects and how to work around joints and meshes - just to give a few examples).