Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 6:30 PM
Default What types of mods are considered "illegal" by EA?
It said something about modifying content that they don't give permission to modify, what EXACTLY do they mean by that? Any specific thing? Like if I made a custom slider would that be bad in any way? Or creating new objects with their own animations? Or are those allowed?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 6:59 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if decrapifying EA store simpacks so that other people can install them for free is a modification they aren't too happy about.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:04 PM
I agree with kewpie above, I think they're not too happy about that. Anything else goes though.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:14 PM
I think when it comes to mods that touch on things EA hasn't (increased sliders, pretty much everything Twallan touches, etc) they should consider those mods helpful to their business as they keep people playing.

But giving things for free that should be bought at the store ventures into pirating which I imagine any business is against.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:37 PM
Things EA has had a problem with in the past (that I know of for certain - there might be more):

- Making hidden preorder bonus content available without preordering
- Converting items from the "Stories" series games to be used in TS2
- A weird thing where they didn't like a lighting mod which modified some of their shaders
- Teen pregnancy/adult mods (they don't seem to mind these existing in general, just folks on the official forums linking to sites where they're hosted)

Other than that (and obvious stuff like making Store/EP content available for free), most anything goes.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 2:19 AM
Yeah, money related kind of thing.......
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
- Converting items from the "Stories" series games to be used in TS2

That seems...odd. Wouldn't that be analogous to converting The Sims Medieval items to TS3?

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Test Subject
#8 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
That seems...odd. Wouldn't that be analogous to converting The Sims Medieval items to TS3?

As I recall they requested no one do that either.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:56 AM
I remember some really hideously raunchy mods people made for TS1. As far as I know stuff like it was never made for TS2 or TS3. It's very likely that it was because it was harder to render much of what was created in real 3D, but ulp... I have no idea if EA had any stance at all on some of the more graphic mods, but I am very glad that as far as I know, most of those don't seem to exist in TS2 or 3.
Instructor
#10 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:19 AM
Heh.
They're around.
S2 at least.
Not much for s3 - well unless you count poses.
We're not quite up to errrr animations yet.
Scholar
#11 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 1:05 PM
I'm not usually prudish, but I got squicked out by some of the more graphic TS1 mods. But when I think back, I think it may be that there was a video someone sent me that had most of those objects being used by a sim with Homer Simpson's head. I can't unsee that stuff after all these years.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai

Yes. Which is why we don't allow Medieval conversions here at MTS. I don't know if EA ever said anything about Medieval-to-TS3 or TS3-to-Medieval conversions specifically, but since we know for sure they were not okay with Stories-to-TS2 conversions, it seems safe to assume they also would not care for Medieval-to-TS3 type ones.

They seem to be okay with TS2-to-TS3 and TS3-to-TS2 conversions though, which I guess makes sense - the Medieval ones might mean someone who would buy Medieval wouldn't bother since they can just get the stuff in TS3, while they're pretty much done milking TS2 for all it's worth so it's not worth bothering about conversions involving it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#13 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 4:13 PM
Huh. With all the Sims 3 medieval content I hadn't noticed there wasn't any Medieval content. Good to know, I guess.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 2:08 AM
well jeez kewpie now i want to know, my sick lil eyes never got to see it. and i'm crushed. i'm quite fond of "dirty" content. not necessarily because i want to do anything with it, just because i like to giggle like a teenage boy who found his first copy of playboy...

also because it's not natural to have "people" with no nipples. that just BOTHERS me. i cant help it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 23rd May 2015 at 11:29 AM
I wonder if mods that have TS3 children with boobs are illegal? They probably are though........
#16 Old 23rd May 2015 at 2:11 PM
This thread is over 3 years old! Why dig it up? Can't it rest in peace?!
One Minute Ninja'd
#17 Old 23rd May 2015 at 3:18 PM
Given the frequency of occurrence, there should be a check box next to Disagree for that rhetorical question.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#18 Old 23rd May 2015 at 4:38 PM
The only illegal thing in this world is raising the dead from their graves. I think it is a terrible sin in almost every religion I know.
#19 Old 23rd May 2015 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
The only illegal thing in this world is raising the dead from their graves. I think it is a terrible sin in almost every religion I know.

Really? Uh....

Opps! Gotta go do something...
Scholar
#20 Old 23rd May 2015 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon

Never stopped me.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL