Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 10:01 PM
Genetics.
So, how's everyone finding the sucky genetics?

Seriously, do they even exist? Some people have been complaining about the hair, I am complaining about the skin tones. I had a black male and a white female have a baby who had the mom's very pale skin. I realise that this can happen in real life but it's pretty unlikely.

Anyone else been having similar problems?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 10:05 PM
Euch. I'm getting the game in a couple weeks, but I'm sorry to hear these reports.. For me, genetics made TS2 a fun game where I would look forward to babies, and seeing resemblances through the family trees... *lurks to see others' responses*
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:27 PM
I've considered making an albino and polluting the town's genepool just for the hell of it. Then it can be renamed "Village of the Damned".
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
I had a black male and a white female have a baby who had the mom's very pale skin.

That happened in TS2, too, but not frequently.
Test Subject
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:37 PM
You have to have the parents use the same skintone slider if you want blending of colors to occur. Example: A light blue sim and dark blue sim will have children anywhere within the range of their skintones. A green sim and a blue sim will spawn babies with either one parent or the other's skin.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:56 PM
Ahh I see. I shall go test it out. Still pretty rubbish though. How lazy.
Instructor
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:15 AM
OK skin genetics

On a simple level you will find that fairer skin a what is known as a recessive gene, and the darker skin is a dominent gene (this is an over simplified view of skin inheritence as there are other genetics factors that can come into play creating a super gene affect)

So let us use the P for pale skin and D for dark skin.

The mother would more than likely be double on both her chromosomes as her phenotype (the manifestation of her genetic code) is pale skin.

In this case (in real life) the father would have been DP dark on one chromosome and pale on the other.

Lets look at the liklihood of inheritance shall we?

Dad D P
Mom

P DP PP

P DP PP

As you can see given the genotype of these parents the child would have had an equal chance of being born with either pale skin or dark skin.

This is how genetics works in real life. So to answer you question in real life it would not have surprised anyone and is very very possible.

But what makes me smile is that in sims lots of the dominant traits are in fact recessive in real life....

But I think it is nice there is something we need to figure out with the game.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
So, how's everyone finding the sucky genetics?

Seriously, do they even exist?

Since the sim children can and will inherit a dyed parent hair color, my assumption is that the designers didn't put too much thought/concern into genetics. It doesn't seem like too many people care, though, or are willing to rationalize it away (for now), so I don't expect a fix, unfortunately.

I really liked in TS2 having an unusual looking sim (usually someone else's sim downloaded from MTS2), and still being able to see the suggestions of his facial structure and coloring passed on 5 generations later. Between the pudding-faces and the shoddy genetics, I think it'll be a while before I see that again.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:15 AM
Sucky genetics DO exist. Somehow, every god damn generation in the game manages to pop out fatter and fatter sims.
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by seizurefriendly
That happened in TS2, too, but not frequently.

That always happened to me. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just a lack of graphics or generating things, I have no clue.
Instructor
#11 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:31 PM
This happened to me in TS2 as well. I had a female sim with the lightest skin tone marry a male skin with the darkest. They had three children, and all three had the lightest skin. For a while I thought the mother might have had a custom skin tone and that was the only explanation, but no, it was just a weird coincidence.

So far in this game I have had two light-toned sims have five children. The mother has black hair and the father has red hair. Three of the children have red hair, and two have black hair. The skin tones are pretty much evenly divided, since the father is a bit darker than the mother. Not really sure what the pattern is or if there is one.

Are you saying that if I have a sim who genetically has black hair but I dye it blue after he is an adult, he'll have children with blue hair? If so, that's ridiculous.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:33 PM
The genetics in Sims2 wheren't great either. I've had a lot of weird genetics. For example, identical twins having two different skin tones. And more recently;
I'm doing the poverty challenge, so I started out with a lovely black haired female with super pale CC skin, and she married a random NPC visitor. They had a brown haired child. He grew up and had twins with a blonde girl. Their twin boys have two different skin tones and are both red heads! There's not a drop of red hair in the entire family tree!

Anyway, what I'm saying is, Sims is known for their funky genetics. Personally, I like the little surprises in genetics. It makes for more variety faster. =P
Field Researcher
#13 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:40 PM
Crazyreporterninja, it was impossible to have identical twins in the Sims 2 and twins having 2 different skin colors is quite possible IRL. Also, some of the NPCs have dyed hair (so townie may look like she's blonde but her real hair is red). Unlike in the Sims 3 where they can pass on the dyed hair xD In the Sims 2, the normal hair was still passed on :3
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:59 PM
What about the toddlers that get the huge jaws that look great on the dads and not so great on the girl children? That genetic part worries me more.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:00 PM
I never considered the skintones and hair recolors that I created and used exclusively in Sims2 to be "dyed" - those were the genetics.. and it was always random as to which would be dominant as I never created couple with the same skintones or hair colors - but then, if daddy had neon blue, green and pink hair-and mommy had softly green - if baby was a boy it got daddys hair, if a girl, mommys

And each of my adults had at least one facial trait tweaked either humongously large or teensy tiny small

on a different note - does anyone know how/when more unique colors or textures can be included into the skintone options?

Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Since the sim children can and will inherit a dyed parent hair color, my assumption is that the designers didn't put too much thought/concern into genetics. It doesn't seem like too many people care, though, or are willing to rationalize it away (for now), so I don't expect a fix, unfortunately.

I really liked in TS2 having an unusual looking sim (usually someone else's sim downloaded from MTS2), and still being able to see the suggestions of his facial structure and coloring passed on 5 generations later. Between the pudding-faces and the shoddy genetics, I think it'll be a while before I see that again.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilliandulcia
Crazyreporterninja, it was impossible to have identical twins in the Sims 2 and twins having 2 different skin colors is quite possible IRL. Also, some of the NPCs have dyed hair (so townie may look like she's blonde but her real hair is red). Unlike in the Sims 3 where they can pass on the dyed hair xD In the Sims 2, the normal hair was still passed on :3

It is possible to have identical twins, just very, very rare. Out of the dozens of twins, I've had over the years, I only had ONE set of identicals. That was when UNI came out. I haven't had any since.

But I do agree about the 2 skin tones; they wouldn't be considered identical if they had two different skin tones. I did once have a set of twins that LOOKED identical in every way except one was a blonde and one was a redhead.

"I'm too booty-licious for ya, babe!"
Check out my DND Designs
Instructor
#17 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dallasindc
It is possible to have identical twins, just very, very rare. Out of the dozens of twins, I've had over the years, I only had ONE set of identicals. That was when UNI came out. I haven't had any since.

But I do agree about the 2 skin tones; they wouldn't be considered identical if they had two different skin tones. I did once have a set of twins that LOOKED identical in every way except one was a blonde and one was a redhead.

I actually had two sets of identical twins... but that's because I had accidentally made the parents identical. I wanted to make two family sims that would have a ton of babies, and I chose two "Default" looks that looked good, not knowing that the female I had chosen had the same genetics as the male. The father had red hair and dark blue eyes and the mother had brown hair and green eyes. The result? They had twelve children, all who looked EXACTLY THE SAME, with brown hair and dark blue eyes. It took me FOREVER to figure out why.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:10 PM Last edited by lilliandulcia : 6th Jun 2009 at 8:45 PM. Reason: I put siblings instead of twins <_<
Dallasindc, it is impossible to have identical twins (unless it is possible to save in the middle of the birth, close the game, and reopen it). You can have twins that look extremely alike but genetically they won't be 100% identical (Though.. I think if you use the same sim for the mom and the father.. like make the sim and then make another and only switch the gender.. but then all their kids would be identical). That's possible in real life too, some twins look a lot alike and you'd swear they are identical but genetically they aren't. It's funny because in the Sims 2 it is very easy to have identical siblings but impossible to have identical twinsssss :P
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:16 PM
Yep it's totally impossible because in Sims 2 the game makes a new sim for each birth. Where as in Sims 3 they actually do copy the first baby that spawns.
Scholar
#20 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsplyRuth
I never considered the skintones and hair recolors that I created and used exclusively in Sims2 to be "dyed" - those were the genetics..

You miss my point. By 'dyed' I mean a color that has been changed via mirror to a color other than what the sim was created/born with.

Try it, create a male and female sim with blond hair.

Enter them into the game, build up or cheat up relationship.

Dye both of their hair blue with the mirror/change appearance.

Have them procreate.

Note toddlers with blue hair.