Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2015 at 4:56 PM
Default Apartments/Dorms/Roommates?
I don't get this. I have this shell: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=555530

Whatever style i use maybe open to interpretations, so I guess I'm asking what would you like to have out of a shell like that. I'm very familier with the hidden/public markers lots, and this house has 14 NPC apartments, and this one flat at the top with 8 rooms, so is this a dorm ... really? What is a dorm ... really?

I could make it a one flat for a family, but I've done that several times already, and people keep asking for things I don't know anything about. We don't do requests here on mts, and I can't promise you I will make your dream, but I need some IDEAS here, anyone up for some brainstorming?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 18th May 2015 at 8:17 PM
Are you going for cheap or expensive living? If more expensive, you can try having one apartment occupy part of two floors, connected by an inner staircase. It depends a lot on what mood you want it to have.

As for the style, I'd personally vary the textures a bit. Nothing too taxing, maybe wood/concrete/marble for the main rooms (living room, bedrooms, other rooms), tile for the bathroom and kitchen or maybe linoleum for the kitchen. Wood textures should be more discolored if apartment is more on the cheap/abandoned side.

What have people been asking for? Personally, I'd rather have one inhabitable apartment than deal with annoying pudding roommates.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2015 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Are you going for cheap or expensive living? If more expensive, you can try having one apartment occupy part of two floors, connected by an inner staircase. It depends a lot on what mood you want it to have.

As for the style, I'd personally vary the textures a bit. Nothing too taxing, maybe wood/concrete/marble for the main rooms (living room, bedrooms, other rooms), tile for the bathroom and kitchen or maybe linoleum for the kitchen. Wood textures should be more discolored if apartment is more on the cheap/abandoned side.

cheap isn't really my thing, and this lot may have turned out a bit of a turkey

Quote:
What have people been asking for? Personally, I'd rather have one inhabitable apartment than deal with annoying pudding roommates.

That is a good point. There is a mod coming up now here, it needs some work still: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554197

I wasn't even sure what that roommate feature was all about, but I can totally see the problem with puddings after 2 days of mod testing for myself.
Alchemist
#4 Old 19th May 2015 at 11:26 AM
It's not a turkey IMO, it feels like it belongs on the "cheaper rent" part of town

I once made a lot that was a former dorm for factory employees. Minimalistic rooms (2 single-person beds/room, with a dresser and maybe some posters on the walls for flavor), one big bathroom with separate showers and toilets (like you did) and one big kitchen/dining area. This now functioned story-wise as an orphanage for an evil mother + daughter family who took care of kids solely for financial reasons
Anyway, build mode specs: brick walls, cheap furniture (bonus if mismatched), metal and tile floors, cheap metal frame beds.

Like I said, it depends on the mood you're trying to get across. As a "cheap-as-dirt rent", strictly functional building it's fine. If you want to build a story around it, it needs a bit more flavor e.g. small additions to differentiate between the rooms (posters, plants, furniture etc.)

Roommates are OK as long as you tune StoryProgression to avoid puddings. Otherwise they're just more useless strain on the system.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th May 2015 at 12:19 PM
It's not a turkey IMO, it feels like it belongs on the "cheaper rent" part of town

I once made a lot that was a former dorm for factory employees. Minimalistic rooms (2 single-person beds/room, with a dresser and maybe some posters on the walls for flavor), one big bathroom with separate showers and toilets (like you did) and one big kitchen/dining area. This now functioned story-wise as an orphanage for an evil mother + daughter family who took care of kids solely for financial reasons
Anyway, build mode specs: brick walls, cheap furniture (bonus if mismatched), metal and tile floors, cheap metal frame beds.

Like I said, it depends on the mood you're trying to get across. As a "cheap-as-dirt rent", strictly functional building it's fine. If you want to build a story around it, it needs a bit more flavor e.g. small additions to differentiate between the rooms (posters, plants, furniture etc.)

Roommates are OK as long as you tune StoryProgression to avoid puddings. Otherwise they're just more useless strain on the system.

So you can use storyprogression as well? pjsuttons mod now worked for me to avoid the puddings in an already populated world. I had to kick the puddings out and swap households, but then I had 7 uncontollable sims as roommates and they come from the population already in the world, not some random puddings.

I'm a minimalist at heart, less is more. Mood as you call it soon runs out of favour with me, it's also something the downloader kind of has to provide I think. The dorm option sounds interesting, then you can move in whoever you like as part of a story? It's just the techincality of it, and what it can be used for, not to mention the limitations it doesn't have hopefully, like puddings.
Alchemist
#6 Old 19th May 2015 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
So you can use storyprogression as well? pjsuttons mod now worked for me to avoid the puddings in an already populated world. I had to kick the puddings out and swap households, but then I had 7 uncontollable sims as roommates and they come from the population already in the world, not some random puddings.

Just checked: I'm using SP to tune how all EA-generated sims look - this includes service and "filler" sims (roommates, classmates, work colleagues etc.). I think roommates aren't auto-generated on regular lots.
IIRC if you set the lot as Apartment, it will generate roommates and you will have to use the phone to cancel the service. You need to set it as Regular Lot to avoid auto-generated roommates. Didn't know about household switching canceling it, but there you have it.

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm a minimalist at heart, less is more. Mood as you call it soon runs out of favour with me, it's also something the downloader kind of has to provide I think. The dorm option sounds interesting, then you can move in whoever you like as part of a story? It's just the techincality of it, and what it can be used for, not to mention the limitations it doesn't have hopefully, like puddings.

I agree with minimalism - not only as a stylistic choice, but to avoid routing issues. As much as I'd like to have a hoarder sim sometimes, it's just not feasible with the current (and possibly permanent) routing system.

I built the dorm specifically to be strictly functional/bare bones, that way it could be adapted later on for whatever I needed. Did this recently with a store, too - left it undecorated in case I later wanted it to be a bookstore, bakery, convenience store, clothes shop etc. No clue what the upload requirements on MTS are, but maybe you can upload only the "shell", with no decorations or furniture, and let people decide what to do with it?
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2015 at 3:09 PM
Just checked: I'm using SP to tune how all EA-generated sims look - this includes service and "filler" sims (roommates, classmates, work colleagues etc.). I think roommates aren't auto-generated on regular lots.
IIRC if you set the lot as Apartment, it will generate roommates and you will have to use the phone to cancel the service. You need to set it as Regular Lot to avoid auto-generated roommates. Didn't know about household switching canceling it, but there you have it.

You need the mod from pjsutton to have 7 uncontrollables: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554197

I agree with minimalism - not only as a stylistic choice, but to avoid routing issues. As much as I'd like to have a hoarder sim sometimes, it's just not feasible with the current (and possibly permanent) routing system.

I built the dorm specifically to be strictly functional/bare bones, that way it could be adapted later on for whatever I needed. Did this recently with a store, too - left it undecorated in case I later wanted it to be a bookstore, bakery, convenience store, clothes shop etc. No clue what the upload requirements on MTS are, but maybe you can upload only the "shell", with no decorations or furniture, and let people decide what to do with it?

I think mts requires it to be furnished, but that's easy to fix, just rent it unfurnished. Can a dorm be used outside the uni world? I have to test that option.

I'm also working on a very simple white clean thing, more my style really ... I have a problem though, it's turning out cheaper than the squat I much prefer rich houses, so much more fun decorating. I have some zero cost beds in buydebug I can use for the squat, that should make it more realistic ... if that's the right word.

I don't have that many downloads on the squat, but the white modern one might be more sellable considering it's what I feel comfortable making.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th May 2015 at 10:20 PM
*Shameless plug*

I've made a mod: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554197 to deal with the broken EA version of roommates. Basically, it lets you disable the randomly-generated roommates that occur when you use the "Apartment" lot type. You can also now use the phone to enable Roommate Services from an Apartment lot.

There are still a few bugs, but I need some people to test it out!
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd May 2015 at 6:36 PM
I believe in that mod, it could be very nice in my world big world at least I made 209 characters, and I didn't make them to see EA pudding faces all over. I'm a happy bunny when I can see people I know and the stories I made comes back to me 2 years after
Mad Poster
#10 Old 23rd May 2015 at 8:36 AM
I've been using that Mod to fix the UL apartments because it gives me the option to use them in any world I'm playing as a home world and I can still add roommates by making some in CAS and adding those to the household.I just have to use playable roommates instead of the service because I play rotationally and don't want them being added to all of my families in a world.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th May 2015 at 5:02 PM
I just stumbled on a problem with the university apartment zoning, getting rid of it is real hard. I change it to residential, and next time I start the game it's back to apartment. Neh, I suddenly remember reading something about that. Can't have it, I'm gonna stick with residential. If I export as residential there's a big chance it will be apartment for the downloader's game.