Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 12:47 AM
Jennifer Morrison as Alison Cameron from House M.D.
I've been working on her for the past few days, as I try to make sure that she has a good likeness.

Here's a photo for comparison:

I'm thinking of thinning her upper lip a little bit. I am having trouble with the lighting, as everything else shines brightly with use of the buydebug lights, but it doesn't really light her face up.
Any comments and tips are appreciated
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:24 AM
Heaven posted this about lighting photos. Also, a straight on head shot of the sim is better for comparing.

I think your sim looks really good. Maybe move her eyes closer together? Her eye shape looks nice.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:56 AM
attuned is absolutely correct; you'll want a more forward facing neutral headshot of your sim (the comparison picture is great and an angle as close to that as you can get would be best).

Looking at what you have provided though, there are a couple things that immediately stand out to me, even with the less than ideal angle. First, the overall face shape appears off. Morrison has a pear or square shaped face while your sim's face looks more diamond shaped. Also, her eyes look much too far apart. Nose shape looks pretty good at the moment though I would recommend possibly using a nose mask to get the detailing around the tip that really isn't possible with just sculpting alone. There are tons out there but my go-to is by Modern Lover. Tifa and brntwaffles also have nose masks to look through as well. I would also recommend the use of the cleft chin slider as the actress does have a bit of a cleft chin.

The hairstyle looks like a great choice for the actress and really suits the way she always wears her hair. I would put it in a sleek bun or ponytail for sculpting though, to prevent the shape of the face from being obscured.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 6:01 AM
So I took your guys advice, and I think I've gotten kinda close to her face. I used a nose mask from Tifa, and it seems to do the job.
Screenshots
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:09 PM
She is looking better, for sure.

Your picture is still slightly angled and the hair is still hiding part of her sculpt so it would be best to produce better shots to optimize the feedback you get.

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 6:58 PM
I have provided some screenshots with her in a bun because the other hair was obstructing some of her sculpt. Now you can fully see her eyebrows.
Screenshots
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 2:37 PM
It'd also be helpful to bring the reference photo down and put it next to the sculpt with each new post. Like so:

As you can see from the red lines, I think the first thing you'll want to work on is the jaw. It's still too rounded and soft right now compared to the very strong jawline Morrison has.

Some other areas that look like they need some work are the lips and eyebrows. Also, are the eyes you're using contacts or defaults? Those feel a little flat to me as well as the iris being too small.
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 8:32 PM
I'm using contacts. I was previously using TOOT's Vibrant Eyes, but I've switched to Eruwen's contacts n13.

No matter how thin the lips look in CAS, they would look thicker in-game. I also switched to a nose mask by brntwaffles.
Screenshots
Instructor
#9 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 8:06 AM
Much better

I'm thinking her nose should be slightly tweaked, maybe just the bridge that could be widened a nudge, to get a more || shape to it.

I also think her face should be a bit longer? Have you tried doing an overlay?

I would really like to see a profile picture. It almost looks as if her mouth corners are sticking out a bit?

But indeed much improved and you'll get there Looking forward to seeing it
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 3:29 PM
I didn't mention the nosetip/septum width but I see you adjusted that as well; looks much better. I do agree that a profile would be a good place to look now as well.
  • I also agree that I think her lower face needs to be longer. The features all seem to be the right distance from each other but her jaw and chin are too short, though the shape is definitely better.
  • I think the eyebrows height could be dropped some.
  • I think her mouth is going to be the trickiest to get right but, for starters, try adjusting the mouth curve a bit to make it more straight. Possibly decrease the mouth definition a tad as her upper lip seems to be slightly too dippy in the middle. (Don't you love all my technical terminology?)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 8:39 PM

I widened her bridge a little bit, but I think I widened it too much and it really isn't looking like a || shape. I also made her face longer, and by overlay do you mean a face overlay? The only one I have is an eyelash removal by s-club. I dropped the eyebrows as low as the game would let me, and also my mouth curve slider was already at 100%. I did change the mouth definition a bit though. By profile picture, do you mean side shots? I have included them in this post, if that is what you are looking for. I also included a screenshot with a pose, but that was before I tweaked some parts.
Screenshots
Instructor
#12 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 9:58 AM
Oh right, sorry for my sloppy explanations :P
I mean a picture of Jennifer that you make semitransparant and put on top of the picture of your sim, to see how the proportions line up.

And yes, that was exactly what I meant by profile - thanks Now, if you can find me a profile of Jennifer too......

As you mention yourself, the bridge was adjusted a tad too much. I also think the chin cleft should be softened just a bit.
Instructor
#13 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 2:17 PM
Do you not have any profile (side view) or even 3-quarter view pictures of the actress? You really need to try and find some and make sure to sculpt your sim from that angle as well. Believe me, it makes a *big* difference.

The CC eyelashes you have on her do not line up with her eyelid.

I feel like her face is too wide, but I did an 50% overlay as Tigerhydr suggested. When I did that, it looks like is that her jaw is just a touch too short rather than the face being too wide. Also her eyes seem just a touch too big and too far spaced. I've attached the overlay so you can see... The red lines are your sim's features and the green ones are the actress's.

Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 9:14 PM
It is hard to find profile pictures of Morrison because in most of them she was smiling, but I have included three that I found. Thanks k2m1too for the helpful overlay.
I fixed the eyes, lined up the cc eyelashes, widened the jaw a bit, softened the chin cleft, and adjusted the nose bridge a bit.
Screenshots
Scholar
#15 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 3:47 AM
Good progress! From the side, it looks like the sim's eyes are a just a tiny bit too deeply set or the nasal bridge needs to be indented just a little. The biggest difference I see is the nose tip. The actress has more "bulk" to her nose tip and it is more turned down that the sim's. The actress also has a small crook or hook to the middle part of her nose from the side but that may be difficult to recreate on a sim.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 4:18 AM
Your last edit really made her pop for me. I can see "Jennifer Morrison" now. I would personally always listen to SimmyRN. I think Jennifer Morrison has very prominent cheekbones, which if you wanted to go less realistic, more caricature, you could super emphasize those. I think that is why caricatures work, they emphasize the noteworthy features. I hope you are still working on her because I can't wait to download her.

New at Simszoo
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 7:33 PM
Attuned, I'm still working on her, I am just busy with school.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 11:01 PM
I am happy to hear that, hatabear.

New at Simszoo