Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 7:02 PM
Default Help with Tinkering Skill Rate
Since there aren't many objects that aid in gaining Tinkering enthusiasm, I decided to try my hand at adding it to Dr Pixel's Skill Motor. I managed to get it added, finally, but the rate that it increases is too fast. I think it's 1 tick every sims half an hour. lol I'm a huge newb at bhav modding, and have been going over Echo's tutorials but haven't been able to figure out how to get this fixed. Would someone mind taking a look? Thank you
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DPXLskillMotor042207MESH.rar (61.2 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 1:04 AM
Quote:
A parameter is a value that is given to a BHAV by the BHAV that calls it, specifying something about the way that it is
supposed to run. For example, in the "Skill - Start" global, it takes parameters that specify what skill is being earned, how
fast it is being earned, which object the sim is using to earn the skill, and if there are any personality bonuses that need to
be applied (ie - outgoing sims might get a bonus in charisma building). The function calling this BHAV can specify all of
these values, and then the BHAV which is called will modify its behaviour based on them. If you want to know how it
does this, then read "Data Types for Simantics Users".

Open the instruction wizard, and you'll see boxes where you can select values. Make sure that "New Format" is selected
at the top, so you can choose what sort of values you are passing to the function. (If "Old format" is checked, all values
will be treated as literals).

The first parameter is the identifier for the sort of skill your sim will be earning. In this case, we're using skill 0xB -
Charisma. By specifying a "Literal", we are saying "the actual value 0xB". If we wanted to, we could tell it to use a value
that was stored in a variable or in a constant, but for now it's easier to stick with a literal. The second parameter says how
fast the sim is earning the skill. Higher values mean your sims will learn the skill faster. In this case, we've just picked a
fairly random value of 0x70. The third parameter says what object is causing the skill build. We've specified the "Stack
Object ID". The Stack Object ID is a special variable that every function has. For an interaction, the Stack Object ID is
initially set to the object the user clicked on to start the interaction, so in this case it will contain the ID of the statue
we've been modding. The last parameter is asking if there are any personality bonuses for the skill building. In this case,
we're just going to assume that there aren't and setting this value to 0x0.

If adjusting the value of the second parameter for 0x01D7 does not work, look in the BCONs to see if there is a value that controls the skilling speed.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 2:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I went over that paragraph multiple times before I posted and actually understood it a lot better now. This is the object I've added the tinkering enthusiasm to. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=229825 The object gives sims another way to earn mechanical skills. I think that's what 0x01D7 deals with, and that works fine. They seem to gain mechanical at the same rate as reading a book. The Hobby Enthusiasm is where I'm having an issue. I can't seem to figure out where the rate at which they gain that is located. I've tried adjusting the literal value of the second paremeter, but to no avail. I set my tester sim's mechanical skill to 0, and he was maxed on Enthusiasm before he had 3 mechanical points. I don't think the BCON contains anything that controls the speed because all the options under the BCON are things that DR Pixel stripped away from the object. I'll keep looking.