Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:18 AM
Why does it take so long for Sims to do simple things, like get in the shower or go to work
Hey all!

I have noticed that my Sims take forever to do simple tasks, and its driving me insane. My Sims take an hour (Sim time) standing in front of the shower before they actually get in. Which makes them late for work.

Now I was wondering, if someone knew of a mod or knew how to make a mod that increases the time it takes Sims to do everyday tasks. I don't know whether it is possible, I don't know how to create a mod. But for all those wonderful, talented people out there that can, this type of mod would be greatly appreciated.

Well I hope its possible and someone reads this soon, before I go insane from sitting around and waiting for my Sims to get in the damn shower!

Cheers
megalmop :P
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:20 AM
Your game is terribly broken if a sim stands in front of the shower for an hour. That is not normal game behavior.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#3 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:32 AM
Actually, it is: The "standing blankly in front of the shower or while going to work" is a side effect of Uniform Caching. Rather than freezing the game like in TS2 anytime a sim underwent a uniform change to load their uniforms, the game will just stand the sim there (looking very stupid) and go on with its life while it waits for the uniform to load. If you are running the game at accelerated speeds, LOTS of time, sometimes HOURS, can pass, due to the fact that running the game at high speed impedes the loading of the uniform in addition to burning time faster. If you PAUSE the game and just wait a few seconds, the sim will immediately be able to spin and move again without any in-game time passing.

It is possible to disable "background loading", but then your game will exhibit jerky behavior in real-time anytime someone changes their clothes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:34 AM
I read something about this a while ago, because I was having the same problem. It has to do with the sim loading their next outfit, and if you have a lower end PC this could make the game lag in a sense that it takes forever to think about something, but it doesn't stop doing what it's doing. So time continues, but the sim doesn't because the game is thinking about the outfit change.
I find that pausing the game briefly when they go to use the shower or change helps alot because it gives the game a chance to catch up with itself.

EDIT: Pescado said it better haha.

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Banned
#5 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:41 AM
Hm, that's odd. I've never noticed any such timewasters, it all seems to happen immediately.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 9:22 AM
well you must have a good machine then... odd huh?
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 5:03 PM
gack, yet more performance nightmares from this dang game then... I was wondering why it seemed that if I wanted my sims ready for work/school I had to wake them up an hour before the alarm to even get a single task done. Now I know.

Seriously, I have FOUR GIGABYTES OF RAM, can't this game at least keep clothing for the active family in memory? geez... You'd think they pay the programmers at EA in Cheetos.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelfwyne
gack, yet more performance nightmares from this dang game then... I was wondering why it seemed that if I wanted my sims ready for work/school I had to wake them up an hour before the alarm to even get a single task done. Now I know.

Seriously, I have FOUR GIGABYTES OF RAM, can't this game at least keep clothing for the active family in memory? geez... You'd think they pay the programmers at EA in Cheetos.

Amen. I have 4GB of RAM too, and 720GB of space. I'd rather have some of that used to store stuff than have half of my sims lives gone due to waiting .

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
Hm, that's odd. I've never noticed any such timewasters, it all seems to happen immediately.

That makes two of us
Instructor
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
It is possible to disable "background loading", but then your game will exhibit jerky behavior in real-time anytime someone changes their clothes.

Interesting, what is this disable and how do I activate it? This might be worth it so long as it doesn't freeze for EVERY NPC in the neighborhood (might be a problem) when they change clothes.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by James009
Interesting, what is this disable and how do I activate it?
Well, you have to make it. Or I have to make it. I haven't, yet, because Fat Gwilly People haven't asked.

Quote: Originally posted by James009
This might be worth it so long as it doesn't freeze for EVERY NPC in the neighborhood (might be a problem) when they change clothes.
That is a very distinct possibility.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:40 AM
My sims hop in the shower but stand around forever after getting out of bed before going about their business (and not necessarily showering first).

Yet another side effect (aka poor development/execution) in TS3.
Banned
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 7:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
That makes two of us

Yeah, I have never once encountered anything even close to this.

Leads me to believe it's a processor issue. Don't have a good enough processor? Then the game's can't process good enough.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:03 AM
It's a caching issue, it affects all computers and isn't directly dependant on CPU or RAM (although having bad either will make an existing problem worse). The problem gets worse if you look at a large number of sims, or dress sims very differently. Looking at other sims causes the game to have to cache their appearances, and dressing sims very differently causes the cache to miss a lot because the item you want to see isn't in the cache. A slow or fragmented hard drive will worsen cache accessing speeds. After about 2 GBs of RAMs, more RAMs won't help because the game seems to actively resist using more RAMs, dumping things to disk cache even when plenty of RAMs are available, to avoid hitting the 2 GB crash point for 32bit. So even if you have more RAMs, a 32bit program can't normally use more than 2 GB, period, and the game will resist running into this limit. If you have a metric fuckton of RAMs and want to REALLY make things go fast, save everything onto a RAMdisk, so when the game tries to dump to cache, it will still be using RAMs and not disk. This way your "Disk" is also as fast as RAMs are and you will notice much less thrashing.

Test Subject
#15 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 12:11 PM
Actually, it is: The "standing blankly in front of the shower or while going to work" is a side effect of Uniform Caching. Rather than freezing the game like in TS2 anytime a sim underwent a uniform change to load their uniforms, the game will just stand the sim there (looking very stupid) and go on with its life while it waits for the uniform to load. If you are running the game at accelerated speeds, LOTS of time, sometimes HOURS, can pass, due to the fact that running the game at high speed impedes the loading of the uniform in addition to burning time faster. If you PAUSE the game and just wait a few seconds, the sim will immediately be able to spin and move again without any in-game time passing.

God damn it, finally. I was googling for a fix for this, and found it right here. This has been annoying me to no end.
Banned
#16 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 12:34 PM
It's not you or your PC, it's a game bug, or a series of bugs, or just bad programming.

Tried TS3 or several PC's and my sims are retards too.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#17 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 3:35 PM
It's not even a bug, it's a "feature". Uniform loading is deliberately done asynchronously to avoid the Sims 2 effect where the game would briefly hiccup anytime sims entered the world. However, since there's no free lunch, you simply trade one undesirable side effect for another. And since this behavior is basically aimed at hiding things from the user, it produces behaviors that the user is not likely to make sense of.

Alchemist
#18 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 4:01 PM
Sims are just retards, the alarm clock is set 1 hour before they have to go to work, it takes 5-10 Sim-minutes before they get out of their bed, than they stand there like retards for about 5 Sim-minutes again, and for breakfast they need 1 Sim-hour. My Sim would've been 2.5 Sim-hours too late at work if I'd let him shower in the morning O.o

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#19 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 10:54 PM
Default remove unrealistic delay
i want to know if there is a mod that removes delay in between interactions when the sim is in autonomous mode.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 11:34 PM
You want the WCIF forum. Click the link to get to it.
Test Subject
#21 Old 24th May 2012 at 6:37 AM
OMG!!! Finally i found a topic talk about this problem! I just don't understand why my sims take all day just snuggling and feeding baby. Does anyone have ways to solve it??? It's very annoying and I don't have enough patience and time to wait for my sims to realize what they have to do
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th May 2012 at 1:38 PM
It's a caching issue, it affects all computers and isn't directly dependant on CPU or RAM (although having bad either will make an existing problem worse). The problem gets worse if you look at a large number of sims, or dress sims very differently. Looking at other sims causes the game to have to cache their appearances, and dressing sims very differently causes the cache to miss a lot because the item you want to see isn't in the cache. A slow or fragmented hard drive will worsen cache accessing speeds. After about 2 GBs of RAMs, more RAMs won't help because the game seems to actively resist using more RAMs, dumping things to disk cache even when plenty of RAMs are available, to avoid hitting the 2 GB crash point for 32bit. So even if you have more RAMs, a 32bit program can't normally use more than 2 GB, period, and the game will resist running into this limit. If you have a metric fuckton of RAMs and want to REALLY make things go fast, save everything onto a RAMdisk, so when the game tries to dump to cache, it will still be using RAMs and not disk. This way your "Disk" is also as fast as RAMs are and you will notice much less thrashing.

It's not possible to implement large address aware?
One Minute Ninja'd
#23 Old 24th May 2012 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Wild Turkey
It's not possible to implement large address aware?

The game has been "LAA aware" for several patches/years now, so there is no longer an advantage to "fixing" it yourself. The discussion outlined above is from 2 years ago, before the "fix" was already made.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 24th May 2012 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
The game has been "LAA aware" for several patches/years now, so there is no longer an advantage to "fixing" it yourself. The discussion outlined above is from 2 years ago, before the "fix" was already made.

Ahh, whoops. I saw the date and thought it was only a month old, but didn't look at the year.

Also, did not know about the LAA bit for the patch. Thanks.
Scholar
#25 Old 24th May 2012 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
That makes two of us

Three of us.
Page 1 of 3