Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 1:09 PM
That looks more like a hotel than a house!!! hahahahaha

C.T.HOLKO88
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 11th Aug 2016 at 4:09 PM
Just stumbled across an article that explains why most McMansions are so ugly. It makes for very interesting reading.

Theorist
#78 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 6:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
Just stumbled across an article that explains why most McMansions are so ugly. It makes for very interesting reading.

I was going to write that, for the most part, this article is a bunch of pretentious horseshit, when I noticed that it is a parody, as noted at the bottom of the page.
I'm not saying I like McMansions, but whatever issues they may have, have little to do with the gibberish in this article. According to this article, anything other than a square box is ugly.
Theorist
#79 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 6:16 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Aug 2016 at 12:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
I'd like to nominate this unfinished 55 bed, 55 bath house near Houston, TX:

It has 66,000 sqft of living space, I guess everything really is bigger in Texas...

There is no God.
Top Secret Researcher
#80 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 6:39 AM
Hi ScaryRob
You haven't been around much, and I fear we may have gotten off to a bad start last year. If you don't remember, never mind.

What happened to all of your downloads?
Theorist
#81 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 12:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Hi ScaryRob
You haven't been around much, and I fear we may have gotten off to a bad start last year. If you don't remember, never mind.

I'm sorry, who are you again?

Quote:
What happened to all of your downloads?

You don't want to go there.
I plan on making them available again from my own little site, as soon as I get one.
Top Secret Researcher
#82 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I'm sorry, who are you again?

Exactly!
You don't want to go there.
I plan on making them available again from my own little site, as soon as I get one.

I won't ask, but now I am even more curious.
Do you know about sims file share?
dodgy builder
#83 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 11:41 AM
Same here. Now I just wonder if we have something in common.

Scarybob: do you want a selfhosted with your own domain, or just a free blogger thing?
Scholar
#84 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 9:52 PM
There is no God.

I'm pretty sure that house is the reason god lets bad things happen to good people...
God goes to stop the bad stuff, and then he remembers that someone built that house and then thinks he's better off leaving humanity to its own destruction.
Theorist
#85 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Do you know about sims file share?

Yeah, I need to get all my files uploaded there, regardless of what little free blogger site I hopefully end up making.

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Scarybob: do you want a selfhosted with your own domain, or just a free blogger thing?

It has to be free, so the latter, I guess. Just a little place to put up some thumbnail pics with descriptions for all my Lots. Like the many little Sims sites people have made. Do you have any suggestions?
dodgy builder
#86 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 11:21 PM
Yeah, I need to get all my files uploaded there, regardless of what little free blogger site I hopefully end up making.

It has to be free, so the latter, I guess. Just a little place to put up some thumbnail pics with descriptions for all my Lots. Like the many little Sims sites people have made. Do you have any suggestions?

There is lots of people on Tumblr with sims creations. It's easy and convenient. You can just link to simsfileshare if you like.
Theorist
#87 Old 7th Sep 2016 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
There is lots of people on Tumblr with sims creations. It's easy and convenient. You can just link to simsfileshare if you like.

Nah, I don't tumble or tweet. I'm thinking something like this: http://lidiqnatasims2.webs.com/
dodgy builder
#88 Old 7th Sep 2016 at 9:31 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 7th Sep 2016 at 9:51 AM.
Nah, I don't tumble or tweet. I'm thinking something like this: http://lidiqnatasims2.webs.com/

Not much on that site I haven't tried webs, but I tried many others I didn't like. You probably have to decide on a theme then: http://www.webs.com/themes
It looks like most of the themes on that site is for premium accounts only. The searching thing didn't work much either, not to exclude paid themes at least. Have you tried wordpress.com? You have to be focused on no adult content and read the rules of conduct I know. They might kick you out if you don't follow them, but that applies to most sites I think. My host could kick me out if I don't behave.

wordpress.com is free and there is probably thousands of themes available out there for free: https://wordpress.com/#plans

I'm using wordpress on my site, but selfhosted. I should think the free hosted site is very close. It's very customizable, like here you choose what you want your site to look like: https://wordpress.com/start/website/design-type

Then you can add tons and thousands of plugins to get your site to look like you want it to, or don't really bother with it.

Be sure you read the rules though, it's a bit annoying if your site is being taken down. I guess you know that already?
Theorist
#89 Old 7th Sep 2016 at 9:40 PM
Thanks for all those links, I'll check out wordpress.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Instructor
#90 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 6:13 AM
This is almost like a bad Sims build where they thought more towers, turrets, and gables = more Victorian, so they added one of each smack dab in the middle of the roof. And all those different types of windows... TOO MANY WINDOWS.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#91 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 7:16 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 6th Sep 2017 at 3:27 PM.
I would argue there is no ugly houses, only some houses that are less beautyful, so this discussion makes me feel bad

... but being from close to the arctic circle and these days it gets darker and darker every day, what can be wrong with many windows? The more the merrier I would say

It looks like that house has replaced the windows on the bottom floor though, and that is the receipe for disasters when it comes to charm and character on a house. We have a few houses in my country where they did that at some time.
Instructor
#92 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 1:13 AM
I am sort of glad to hear that someone else is also feeling bad about this thread. I dont find any of the houses here ugly. All of them have something to it.
This one from the first page looks really fascinating to me:

Sort of unreal and alien. Really love that

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Theorist
#93 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ferguson Avenue
I've got one(ish):
The average American 'McMansion'
I don't mean to offend anyone, but you very rarely see a 'McMansion' that has genuine architectural beauty/integrity. Some are nice, but then they look like every other house in their subdivision...

I just looked at that link for the first time yesterday and it's hilarious.
Alchemist
#94 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 9:53 PM
I just looked at that link for the first time yesterday and it's hilarious.

Some were even painful to look at.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#95 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Some were even painful to look at.

Some you'd swear were designed by Sim builders, especially those still building for Sims 2, with all the mismatched windows and doors. :p
Scholar
#96 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 9:27 AM
Some you'd swear were designed by Sim builders, especially those still building for Sims 2, with all the mismatched windows and doors. :p

If you've not seen it already, McMansion Hell is the place to go to see a comedic and valid analysis of the endless sea of McMansions. It's a real crash course in good architectural concepts and styles through essays illustrating the faults of bad architecture. It's always good for a laugh, even on valentines day.

Theorist
#97 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 4:35 PM
LOL, I better not post my Concretehouse#10, because it has several McMansion features, like protruding masses and a dining room turret. And I bet the back side of my Concretehouse#12 in the other thread (Message #1080) gave you a small heart attack, but for the record and like I said, it is based on a real house in the Netherlands, of which I added a picture.
Alchemist
#98 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 5:01 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 19th Feb 2018 at 5:13 PM.
Even though most McMansions aren't really pretty to look at for longer than 1 minute (Because at quick glance they might look pretty) I have to admit that I've tried making one in TS3 (Where you CAN make them look nice) without success.

Also. The fuck is this?

Why not remodel a barn instead of spawning this?

#99 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 6:06 PM
LOL, I better not post my Concretehouse#10, because it has several McMansion features, like protruding masses and a dining room turret. And I bet the back side of my Concretehouse#12 in the other thread (Message #1080) gave you a small heart attack, but for the record and like I said, it is based on a real house in the Netherlands, of which I added a picture.

The thing with your creations is that you actually know how to use the different architectural elements in a cohesive and tasteful way. I can't imagine you ever producing something that borders on the McMansion level of ugly and uneducated.
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Also. The fuck is this?
Why not remodel a barn instead of spawning this?

If you do away with that needless stone cladding, swap out the windows and doors for a cohesive set and swap out the slate roof tiles for the red clay ones which match the barge/fascia boards then you could have a really nice early 1900s Colonial Revival-Shingle style home. But that doesn't take in to account what monstrosities lurk inside...
Alchemist
#100 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ferguson Avenue
If you do away with that needless stone cladding, swap out the windows and doors for a cohesive set and swap out the slate roof tiles for the red clay ones which match the barge/fascia boards then you could have a really nice early 1900s Colonial Revival-Shingle style home. But that doesn't take in to account what monstrosities lurk inside...

Maybe a country-style interior by someone who's never stepped foot outside of downtown.

post #100

Page 4 of 5