Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 12:15 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Confusion at changing neighborhood terrain with a hex editor
I'm wanting to make a version of Maxis's Downtown subhood that's desert instead of concrete. I'm aware of the "terrainType Desert" cheat that can be entered in the neighborhood, but the issue with this is it only changes the terrain in the Neighborhood Terrain Geometry (NHTG) file. This means little strip of terrain between the sidewalk and road remains unaltered as the data for this is stored in the Neighborhood/Memory (NGBH) file.

The Neighborhood/Memory (NGBH) file can be altered with a hex editor as detailed by Mootilda here (post #5), but I'm having issues as to where to find the information I need within the file in order to change the terrain. I'm using the HxD program and have attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing in the program. There are a bunch of numbers on the left with mostly gibberish writing on the right.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it.
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 1:49 PM
See where on line 016 the decoded text says Concrete? That's the bit you have to change. If you use a text to hex converter such as this one you will see that Concrete translates to 43 6f 6e 63 72 65 74 65 and sure enough, those are the numbers you see at 016-08 to 016-15.
Desert corresponds to 44 65 73 65 72 74 so you need to change the numbers to that, but of course the word Desert has fewer characters than Concrete, so you need to delete the last two characters completely. You should then see the decoded text change to read Desert.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 3:31 AM
Thank you.