Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 3:47 AM Last edited by Ebbe : 1st Dec 2008 at 6:26 AM. Reason: more questions
Default A Few Questions about Repository Techniques
Ok I read the tutorial on Repository Tehnique, but I have a few questions. Say I have a furniture set with about 5 pieces in it, and I've decided that my repository object will be a shelf type object with items already on it. Now the texture/UV map for this shelf will serve as the texture map for the other objects.

1) Is it possible to have multiple textures in the repository UV map tha is not used by the repository object?

2) When/and if I decide to gave one of my objects a subset of recolors, is that possible. By this I mean, you know how you click on say a counter and there's color options for both the counter and counter top. Could I still do that with on my slave objects. Say if I had a mesh that's a table with a jar on it that was a slave object, could i make a color subset for the table and jars all while working from the repository texture/uv map?

If so, I presume I would just go on with the subset tutorial.

EDIT:

3) Can this work if you are using the UV Mapper in 3ds max? Would I then just uv map them both, then open it in UV Mapper classic with my texture map?

4)And is it possible or better to actually have made a texture map before a uv map?

--Ebbe

An Epic Victorian Saga unlike any ever made for the Sims 2. Jane Toland, an idealist woman struggles in the pious society that disdains her.

Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 10:01 PM
Hi, I see your question but I don't have sufficient knowledge in this area to respond appropriately. I'll go poke someone.. You've been waiting awhile.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 10:14 PM
Hi, I also do not know much in this area, but for q1 and 2 I think something similar was done with the Grand Trianon - it is a download on this site and it comes with a lot of instructions. Link below.

http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=76172

for 3 and 4, sorry no idea, I use photoshop, uv mapper and milkshape

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 11:07 PM
Hi, Until a more knowledgeable person comes by to assist, you might want to post your questions in the respository thread also - http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82227

I've requested help for you. Someone will come along as soon as they see it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 8:09 PM
Thank you both for your help.

An Epic Victorian Saga unlike any ever made for the Sims 2. Jane Toland, an idealist woman struggles in the pious society that disdains her.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 7:13 AM Last edited by Echo : 7th Dec 2008 at 7:19 AM.
Hi Ebbe!

Sorry for the slow response. Not sure quite what you're asking with a couple of the questions, but I'll do what I can!

1) If you mean "can I have parts of a texture image which a slave object is mapped to but the master object is not?" then the answer is absolutely yes. You can use your two recolourable subsets however you want, and most repository sets have decals and the like which may only be specific to one or two of the slave objects.

If you mean "can I have more than two texture images, and have different slaves import textures from different combinations of these" then the answer is a guarded "maybe". I don't see why not, but having never tried I can't say anything definite. Keep in mind though, that most people would have a lot of trouble creating recolours for those extra subsets (after the original two), because most things assume that only two recolourable subsets exist for an item. My guess is that SimPE won't handle them too well.

2) A slave object can still have two independently recolourable subsets, yes. For the subsets which are slaves, they will have all (and only) the same recolour options as the original master object.

3) I've never used UV Mapper in 3DS Max, but I assume it works the same way as every other tool. You just need to map your objects so that the both map to the right areas on the same image. UV Mapper Classic doesn't do anything special to the files, it's just another UV tool.

4) Personal preference. I normally do both at the same time. I make a really rough version of my texture so I know I have room for everything, then I map to it, then I change my image, then I might re-map... Until everything looks how I want!